Apple issues apology as iTunes & App Store outage persists for 7+ hours

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That is just all kinds of bullshit.  Mobile app devs that actively link back to the Apple domain before their apps will open should be publicly shamed.

That's not the issue. The issue is that if your device doesn't have Apple DRM keys for the particular iPhone or Mac App Store app (reformat, copy from a different computer, loaded by enterprise systems), the operating system needs to connect to the App Store to retreive them.

• Reply 62 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Clearly it was caused by the sheer fugliness of those server rack doors!

DNS servers saw those doors and said, "Na, not replicating today."

• Reply 64 of 83
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member

[tinfoil hat on]

This happens after Microsoft issues their regular Patch Tuesday updates.

Could Apple be running Windows Servers?

Are auto-updates on?

[tinfoil hat off]

• Reply 65 of 83
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Apple just issued apology via CNBC for an internal DNS error.

• Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's not like this is a common occurance. Accidents happen.

On the plus side, iOS 8.2 has been the most rock-solid version of iOS to date, IMO. Very, very pleased with it.

Funny that iOS stability should be mentioned... and while i know it's not necessarily the fault of iOS that apps and even websites are littered with popup and popover ads, and elements that move around when trying to use the touchscreen causing the cueing of yet more advertisements and appearances of the AppStore... while I know it's not 100% iOS's fault, I do place some blame on iOS.  The situation has gotten so bad and I've so often had to struggle with popups of uncertain origin which I can't quite figure out how to dismiss.... the situation has gotten so bad that last night I actually had a long nightmare about being unable to use my iPhone because it kept going off to other apps and ads and crap. I was trying to find something specific in the dream, and so constantly flummoxed by the annoyances and popups that I could never find out what I needed.  My very first iOS dream--and it was a nightmare.  I've had similar problems in iOS on an iPad, where it's not entirely clear what I'm looking at when it pops up, nor how I got there, nor how to get rid of it. So, in my experience, usability has declined.  Starting with the increasingly tiny and delicate text that is impossible for 40yo eyes to read.

• Reply 67 of 83
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

[tinfoil hat on]

This happens after Microsoft issues their regular Patch Tuesday updates.

Could Apple be running Windows Servers?

Are auto-updates on?

[tinfoil hat off]

Could be. I read they use HP servers...do they still use Webobjects? Maybe not.

• Reply 68 of 83
    According to Apple pundits it is irrelevant outage. That was mere 7 hours only. No big deal.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That is just all kinds of bullshit.  Mobile app devs that actively link back to the Apple domain before their apps will open should be publicly shamed.

That's not the issue. The issue is that if your device doesn't have Apple DRM keys for the particular iPhone or Mac App Store app (reformat, copy from a different computer, loaded by enterprise systems), the operating system needs to connect to the App Store to retreive them.

IDK.  I have apps purchased using one Apple ID on an iPhone currently connected to the iTunes and App Store with a different Apple ID.  Updates, etc. work fine.  IMO, apps shouldn't be phoning home to Apple in order to run, which is what the article implied (quoted in my original post).

• Reply 70 of 83
    Interesting sight in Apple stores today - New new Applepay - 1970s Credit Card imprint machines! It goes to show that you should never totally rely on technology (or one form), even Apple are prepared for these eventualities in their stores! Never let any country become a cashless society and don't rely on the cloud, have local storage of data (or a local copy of your cloud data) and a backup of that backup in case the original drive breaks. That way you can take advantage of tech, but always have a backup!
  • Reply 71 of 83
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

I haven't been able to access my iTunes Match on my Mac for several hours. Rare though this is, it's cruel reminder that Apple's Services dont live up to their hardware and 'offline' software

Will I be offered anything in compensation for this subscription failure?

Itunes Match is what, $25 a yr? That comes out to, $2/month? $0.06/day? So how much compensation do you really want for a few hrs of downtime, to a non-critical service? 

• Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Hey Apple. Planning on reimbursing us app developers for your incompetence and a day of last sales?

I call bullshit. I don't know any iOS developers that would define Apple as "incompetent" as you just have. 

Why don't you list us your apps? I'm very curious. They must be in the top charts if you're so concerned about a few hrs of lost sales. 

So let's have it. List the links for your apps, to prove you've been harmed by this. If your app(s) was even worth a damn, someone actually interested in downloading it would try again. I've never decided not to buy an app if the appstore happens to be down. If your app has anywhere near decent sales, Apple has made you a shitload of money and provided you with a platform of hundreds of millions of customers. If you were an actual developer, you would contact them directly to ask for reimbursement, not self-righteously troll on a forum. 

Also, seems you haven't even bothered to read the damn developer agreement to begin with. Your apps must be incredible. 

• Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You mean Tim Cook? He should be replaced forthwith, or at least go back to his COO position.

Amazing how you get through your day, with so much irrational bile towards someone like Tim Cook, who any sane person can agree has done an amazing job in his capacity. He's validated himself a thousand times over.

So who the **** should he be replaced with? Or did your thought process not reach that point? Also, who else at Apple should be replaced? Since the products/services are clearly not dictated by Cook, but by the entire executive team including Jony Ive, Eddy Cue, Federighi, Schiller, Williams, etc. I'm assuming they should all be wiped out too? Maybe you should apply to replace all of them, since clearly you're such an accomplished individual that you can look down in mockery and disdain at those who are leading the most successful company on the planet. Why don't you post your resume? We're all curious at your endeavors, which gives you the position to spout off such nastiness. I'm also amazed you still have the guts to post here, since 100% of your predictions have turned out false over the years. Instead of attaining humility from the fact that you're always wrong, you turn inwards and become even nastier. 

• Reply 74 of 83
    -los-los Posts: 15member
    macapfel wrote: »

I have to say, that today iOS 8.2 froze my iPhone 6 for a few minutes, and then re-booted. That was the first time since years of iPhone usage on 3 different models!
    I'm having issues with iTunes Radio over wifi. Wasn't having this issue with 8.1.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member

I found one today. Try to attach a few photos to a email. Nothing happens.

I need to remind myself to not update right after they come out.

• Reply 76 of 83
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Hey Apple. Planning on reimbursing us app developers for your incompetence and a day of last sales?

No.

Sincerely,

Tim

• Reply 77 of 83
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I call bullshit. I don't know any iOS developers that would define Apple as "incompetent" as you just have. 
    Also, seems you haven't even bothered to read the damn developer agreement to begin with. Your apps must be incredible. 

I'm sure that jkichline can speak for him/herself, but I will offer that s/he has at least one legitimate app, a very good music-related one.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

The outage came for me on worst moment possible.  Yesterday an official hand over was planned of one of the apps I developed forr a customer.  Due to the issues with the app store, the installation of the iOS version on the iPads of my customer was a complete failure.   A direct cost of 500 Euro and a lot of moral customer damage were the consequences.  Luckily, the Android version was offically accepted.

So Apple I give you one advice: next time plan such outages in the weekend.

• Reply 79 of 83

Location: US - Apple TV started getting twitchie Tuesday night - I know most of the user fixes but none worked this time.

• Reply 80 of 83
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Internal DNS error?  With all the smartest network engineers at Apple, no one could resolve this for 7+ hours?