Apple removes Nike FuelBand, Jawbone UP from stores ahead of Apple Watch debut

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Apple has phased out fitness bands like Nike's FuelBand and Jawbone's UP from its retail store offerings as the company prepares to enter the wearables market with Apple Watch.

Jawbone product availability on the Online Apple Store.

As of Wednesday, the Online Apple Store and physical Apple Store locations have pared down their fitness device offerings to products not in competition with the upcoming Apple Watch. Previously, Apple sold a wide variety of fitness trackers, including devices from Fitbit, Nike, Jawbone, Wahoo and more, but those products have lost shelf space over the past year.

The move comes a little over one month before Apple's first foray into wearables debuts with its own fitness tracking capabilities. Re/code reported the change earlier today.

AppleInsider confirmed that both Nike and Jawbone products have been taken down from the Online Apple Store and are no longer available at multiple brick-and-mortar Apple Store locations across the U.S. A store representative said no band-like fitness devices are for sale, with the closest model being Jawbone's clip-on UP Move, though Apple's online storefront does show current availability of the $199 MIO Alpha Heart Rate Monitor Watch.

Other fitness trackers still for sale include Wahoo's TICKR around-the-body heart rate monitor and a similar offering from Polar.

According to Re/code, MIO CEO Liz Dickinson said Apple notified her of an impending Apple Store removal months ago. It is unclear if the smart fitness watch will ultimately share the same fate as similar devices from Jawbone, Nike and Fitbit.

Apple Watch starts at $349 for the 38mm Apple Watch Sport, while the stainless steel Apple Watch is priced from $549. The high-end solid gold Apple Edition, meanwhile, starts at $10,000.

Preorders and in-store previews start on April 10, with shipments set to begin on April 24.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    [Quote]Apple removes Nike FuelBand, Jawbone UP from stores ahead of Apple Watch debut[/quote]
    Because the $50 & $130 items will stop people from spending $350 for an Apple Watch?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Because the $50 & $130 items will stop people from spending $350 for an Apple Watch?

Funnily enough, I have a JawboneUP, and it made me want an ?Watch even more, simply because the UP doesn't tell time.

• Reply 3 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You're right, Apple should also sell $300 PC notebooks and $50 tablets in it's store, I mean, those won't stop people from paying $1500 for a Macbook and $500 for an iPad, right?

Apple has the right to sell or not sell whatever it wants in it's stores. I would do the same thing in their shoes, why sell stuff that potentially competes with your offering, even if cheaper? Just creates more noise for the consumer. These things can be sold in a million other places. 

• Reply 4 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Since when does Apple have to sell competing products in its stores?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

Generally, the only non-Apple things sold in Apple Stores are items people want/need when purchasing an Apple product. That's why they sell external drives, non-Apple software, and specialized hardware people can take home with them right away. As others have said, the Apple Store isn't a Best Buy or Target, they get to choose which extra items they feel would be useful (and don't compete with Apple products).

• Reply 6 of 33
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

I look at it this way: the fad/trend devices are being removed, the serious devices are being kept.

I use a chest strap HRM for HIIT (the wahoo is pretty decent). Despite my large interest in fitness and daily activities, I perceive the nike fuel/jawbone up as gimmicky devices that complicate something that's simple. 

How this contrasts to the apple watch is that they've taken our most recent understanding of prolonged sitting and sedentary behaviour and simplified this into a basic reminder and progress graphic. Which is all it needed to be, the other offerings require pairing data, online log-ins and produce utterly useless graphs with convoluted coaching goals. I don't see this as apple removing competition, rather just throwing out the unpopular junk.

For the kind of exercise I do, I find the apple watch's HRM ability paired with the ability to play music wirelessly to my headphones a very appealing combination. If I can also do payments without my phone that would be perfect. (However this remains an unknown.)

• Reply 7 of 33
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

they get to choose which extra items they feel would be useful (and don't compete with Apple products).

They do sell third-party cases, cables, mice and keyboards, and phone chargers that directly compete against Apple branded ones.

Nike was said to be quitting the wearables business, so the loss of the FuelBand probably would have happened anyway.

• Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Generally, the only non-Apple things sold in Apple Stores are items people want/need when purchasing an Apple product. That's why they sell external drives, non-Apple software, and specialized hardware people can take home with them right away. As others have said, the Apple Store isn't a Best Buy or Target, they get to choose which extra items they feel would be useful (and don't compete with Apple products).

Bullshit.

Do Apple sell headphones in their stores? Yes.

Do they sell a ton of headphones in their stores by other companies, which compete with their own offerings? Yes.

All this removal of fitness devices says is that Apple are so fearful of renewed interest in fitness devices, that they don't want to offer comparisons to the Apple Watch, lacking so is their confidence in it.

• Reply 9 of 33
    I wonder whether Apple intends to expand into multiple form-factors in their wearable line: Apple Watch for now, followed by fitness bands, items more specifically health/clinical related, etc.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Bullshit.

Do they sell a ton of headphones in their stores by other companies, which compete with their own offerings? Yes.

All this removal of fitness devices says is that Apple are so fearful of renewed interest in fitness devices, that they don't want to offer comparisons to the Apple Watch, lacking so is their confidence in it.

You're right, nobody will know ANYTHNG other than the Apple Watch exists, as long as Apple does not sell these products in their own stores, right?

Your headphone analogy is brain-dead, as Apple's headphones are not a core product- they don't go out of their way to market them, and they come free with iPhones. They're more accessories to their main products, than products themselves- which is why they bought Beats. Apple is not going to lose any fucking sleep if someone buys non-Apple headphones. 

Your purposeful intellectual dishonesty is simply disgustingly vile, as is the predictability and consistency of your nasty lies. The petty lengths you've gone to assert that Apple "lacks confidence" in Apple Watch, by reaching at ghosts, is simply stunning. You can't seem to decide if Apple lacks confidence because they're marketing the Watch too much, or because they're someone trying to make the world forget that it exists. You've made both arguments at the same time, which shows the deep extent of your hypocrisy and contradictory desperation. The fact that you (allegedly) think Apple is "fearful" of these devices that don't have a fraction of the functionality of the Apple Watch shows how ridiculous and petty you are. If you weren't such an angry, petty person, you would decide not to buy an Apple Watch, and move on. But no, you'd rather spend your life trolling. And in all of your THOUSANDS of posts bashing the Apple watch, you have never ONCE presented a vision of what it should be instead, because you have none. A 3 yr old can do what you do- bash without providing an alternative, the most lazy and cowardly thing possible. 

• Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Bullshit.

Stinking speculative bullshit !

You haven't any idea, nor proof, as to what Apple's motivations are here. Fitbit was removed from the online store months ago. Most likely, these changes are nothing more than supplier negotiation tactics familiar to any retail outlet.

• Reply 12 of 33
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Of course Apple has the right to merchandise their stores in any way they choose, on-line or physical.

But I also think it sends a poor message to remove devices - especially from erstwhile 'semi-partners',

and especially when they aren't remotely competitive.  

It almost suggests a legitimacy they otherwise couldn't have.

And I think Apple may 'sort of' think so too, by removing them so far in advance of

the appearance of the ?Watch, amidst the hubbub of their own announcement,

as if to give everyone the chance to forget they did it.

• Reply 13 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You're right, Apple should also sell $300 PC notebooks and $50 tablets in it's store,

But they don’t and never have.

Quote:

Apple has the right to sell or not sell whatever it wants in it's stores

Duh...

However, the products being removed aren’t really competing. Just view the AppleWatch commercial and it’s shown as a do all device, not just a fitness band.

I just made simple observation. Not looking for big argument over why it’s “wrong” or "Apple can do whatever they want”.

• Reply 14 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Bullshit.

Another bullshit post.
    boredumb wrote: »
    Of course Apple has the right to merchandise their stores in any way they choose, <span style="line-height:1.4em;">on-line or physical.</span>

But I also think it sends a poor message to remove devices - especially from erstwhile 'semi-partners',
    and especially when they aren't <span style="line-height:1.4em;">remotely competitive.  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">It almost suggests a legitimacy they otherwise couldn't have.</span>

And I think Apple may 'sort of' think so too, by removing them so far in advance of
    the appearance of the ?Watch, amidst the hubbub of their own announcement,
    as if to give everyone the chance to forget they did it.

What are the "partners" gonna do? Not create accessories for iproducts?
  • Reply 15 of 33
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Na-na,
    Na-na na-na,
    Hey hey hey,
    Goodbye...
    :smokey:
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Well, just a reminder, if you have a iPhone 5s or higher, you have a free pedometer that also tracks distance and elevation.

These gadgets have been useless for a while now. You can get a 5s on contract for the price of a fitness tracker, and it's a better fitness tracker.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Posting this out of pure boredom, in addition it should be noted to all posters; no matter how much anger you get while posting it will not make the apple computer company love you more than they would if you bought another product from them... Calm down... Quit drinking so much cool aid and lets get get real for a bit. I have always loved apple but some of their recent products have me questioning their ideals. Let me start by saying i have had two MBP's multiple iphones, use ipads and mac pros at work, im well versed, know the benefits, build quality, UI quality of os x, you get the idea. However if you take a step back and see whats happening here with this scenario in particular. You will notice that in history apple has always been able to stand on its own in the competition noting how great their products are, historically they have been. They re-imagined the phone the computer tablet computing and more In incredible ways. The design was always as important as the functionality of every product and both coalesced in a way that made every product they made a killer product. I say that to introduce this idea...

This no longer seems to be the case. The designs are still incredible. The os x is still awesome, though many would say too dumbed down. But the main idea is that the design and the user experience are drifting apart from each other. I can say steve wouldn't do this all day long and many would tear me apart calling that statement blasphemy etc. but when the iphone 4 was replaced by the 5, you could immediately pick up the phone and it felt better, it felt right. And so true with so many other products. The move to the 6 dare i say threw away years of development to made something completely different in hopes of blowing away people and most importantly investors to raise stock price. Which i feel has been the main goal of apple since tim cook took control. He after all was the finance guy there. Its what he knows. But back to what it means for the products. There will continue to be more. They will continue to divide there users. And apple will continue to slowly put their competitors under by not fairly representing them on there sight. To get back to the original idea, if the watch is that much more incredible than the other devices that warrant the exorbitant price tag, why get rid of them? How does crossing the people who helped make you what you are off your sight help continue a friendly competitive environment for products occur. Is apple not starting to pull the same tricks in different ways as once gigantic Microsoft and how will it affect the consumers who trust in apple to provide the most well thought out product from a user standpoint. Because in my mind thats what is slowly occurring and at some point someone with call it what it will become... A monopoly. The good news is the company still has time. Lots of time and enough money/people/resources to rethink the plans and ways to limit the the products. Make them the best not just because they're apple products. And keep investors happy and consumers coming back...

Dont immediately flip out just take a step back from your emotions and ponder my theories
  • Reply 18 of 33
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostalmedia View Post

Well, just a reminder, if you have a iPhone 5s or higher, you have a free pedometer that also tracks distance and elevation.

These gadgets have been useless for a while now. You can get a 5s on contract for the price of a fitness tracker, and it's a better fitness tracker.

Using what app? 

• Reply 19 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mac-daddy wrote: »
    Using what app? 
    Health.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Health.

Ha, I've had that app hidden since it came out and just opened it up - sure enough you're right. Wow.