Apple removes Nike FuelBand, Jawbone UP from stores ahead of Apple Watch debut

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mac-daddy wrote: »
    Ha, I've had that app hidden since it came out and just opened it up - sure enough you're right. Wow. 

I didn't use it for a long time either then I accidentally opened it and saw the step counts.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Makes sense. Apple stores don't need to be cluttered. What brand of headphones do they sell? I know they have some background deal with Bose but other than that I'm surprised it's not Beats only. I think they still have non Beats headphones connected to demo devices.

Still seems like this move of removing Jawbone and especially Nike(partner since iPod) from the store could create a little friction.

Someone posted that Nike was exiting the market anyway. If true Apple should scoop up the best talent from Fuelband, Nike probably wouldn't mind since they've been partners for over a decade and supposedly quiting anyway.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You're right, nobody will know ANYTHNG other than the Apple Watch exists, as long as Apple does not sell these products in their own stores, right?

Your headphone analogy is brain-dead, as Apple's headphones are not a core product- they don't go out of their way to market them, and they come free with iPhones. They're more accessories to their main products, than products themselves- which is why they bought Beats. Apple is not going to lose any fucking sleep if someone buys non-Apple headphones. 

Your purposeful intellectual dishonesty is simply disgustingly vile, as is the predictability and consistency of your nasty lies. The petty lengths you've gone to assert that Apple "lacks confidence" in Apple Watch, by reaching at ghosts, is simply stunning. You can't seem to decide if Apple lacks confidence because they're marketing the Watch too much, or because they're someone trying to make the world forget that it exists. You've made both arguments at the same time, which shows the deep extent of your hypocrisy and contradictory desperation. The fact that you (allegedly) think Apple is "fearful" of these devices that don't have a fraction of the functionality of the Apple Watch shows how ridiculous and petty you are. If you weren't such an angry, petty person, you would decide not to buy an Apple Watch, and move on. But no, you'd rather spend your life trolling. And in all of your THOUSANDS of posts bashing the Apple watch, you have never ONCE presented a vision of what it should be instead, because you have none. A 3 yr old can do what you do- bash without providing an alternative, the most lazy and cowardly thing possible

brain-dead.

purposeful intellectual dishonesty.

disgustingly vile.

nasty lies.

deep extent of your hypocrisy.

contradictory desperation.

ridiculous and petty you are.

angry, petty person.

no vision.

A 3 yr old can do what you do.

the most lazy and cowardly thing possible.

Well, I'd say, you definitely gave him quite a lengthy example of civilised, logical arguments. Something to be proud of.

• Reply 24 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Health.

Where in the Health app? I don't see a pedometer function.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

Open health

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Where in the Health app? I don't see a pedometer function.

Open Health and select Health Data on the bottom bar. Then go to Fitness > Steps.

• Reply 26 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    bancho wrote: »
    Open health

Open Health and select Health Data on the bottom bar. Then go to Fitness > Steps.

This is what it says there: "Step count is the number of steps you take throughout the day. Pedometers and digital activity trackers can help you determine your step count. These devices count steps for any activity that involves step-like movement, including walking, running, stair-climbing, cross-country skiing, and even movement as you go about your daily chores."

This suggests the data still needs to be collected from another device or app. Am I wrong? Where is the "turn pedometer function ON" button?
  • Reply 27 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This is what it says there: "Step count is the number of steps you take throughout the day. Pedometers and digital activity trackers can help you determine your step count. These devices count steps for any activity that involves step-like movement, including walking, running, stair-climbing, cross-country skiing, and even movement as you go about your daily chores."

This suggests the data still needs to be collected from another device or app. Am I wrong? Where is the "turn pedometer function ON" button?

It's always on, isn't it? I don't have any linked apps to Health. .
  • Reply 28 of 33
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Which model iPhone do you have? I can confirm from experience that my iPhone 6+ and my wife's iPhone 5s both perform the step counting on their own. I believe this is because they both contain the motion coprocessor. In addition to step, the iPhone 6 also manages to count flights of stairs.

iPhones prior to the 5s may not be able to track steps without additional hardware.

• Reply 29 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LilSmirk View Post

brain-dead.

purposeful intellectual dishonesty.

disgustingly vile.

nasty lies.

deep extent of your hypocrisy.

contradictory desperation.

ridiculous and petty you are.

angry, petty person.

no vision.

A 3 yr old can do what you do.

the most lazy and cowardly thing possible.

Well, I'd say, you definitely gave him quite a lengthy example of civilised, logical arguments. Something to be proud of.

I’m guessing this is what got him put in timeout, no? To tell you the truth I’m about ready to join him. Civilized, logical arguments? Are you kidding? Are you saying that Benjamin Frost presented civilized, logical arguments? Or any troll for that matter? No, they blow their crap straight out of their asses and present it as unassailable fact. The slurpster blew a gasket. Now he’s paying for it.

That management allows these trolls a voice when they know what the motive is, now THAT’s a problem. Before you know it people interested in civilized, logical discourse simply leave and never come back. All you’re left with then is the blowhard crap spewed by the hater crowd. Then AI descends into the same cesspool that is MacRumors. But hey, the ad clicks and views are hot and heavy so who cares, right?

• Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I’m guessing this is what got him put in timeout, no?

Oh yeah, a nice thing to see. I have flagged his comment as offensive, glad to see such responsive moderation in this forum.

I can understand the love/hate for a brand (even if pointless, in my opinion), but that post was more flaming than anything else.

• Reply 31 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Well, just a reminder, if you have a iPhone 5s or higher, you have a free pedometer that also tracks distance and elevation.
    The M7 chip in 5S does not track elevation.
    The M8 in the 6 & 6 Plus does.
    Neither tracks distance. Apps can calculate distance based on # of steps and your height.
    You can get a 5s on contract for the price of a fitness tracker, and it's a better fitness tracker.
    Not really better. It will count steps and floors (for iPhone 6) but the Health app by itself is really kinda useless unless you want to look at thousands of data points or a general overview.
    Healthkit is simply a way for apps to aggregate health data and Heath app is very simple way to view that data.
    Fitbit & MyFitnessPal apps (and others) will use the step data collected by M7 & M8 chips on iPhone 5S and iPhone 6/6Plus.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Slightly off topic: If I'm using ?Watch and have an iPhone with me how does iPhone's HealthKit pool that data so it can be shared with other apps? It can't double up the steps, so does it take one over the other regardless of results, take the one with the highest/lowest count, get an average between the two, or do something more complex to get a more accurate count?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    Having j
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Slightly off topic: If I'm using ?Watch and have an iPhone with me how does iPhone's HealthKit pool that data so it can be shared with other apps? It can't double up the steps, so does it take one over the other regardless of results, take the one with the highest/lowest count, get an average between the two, or do something more complex to get a more accurate count?

Having just started to use Health app, and having decided I want a watch this is exactly what I want to know. How does the watche's fitness tracking capability interact with Health. My guess will be not very well in v1 but better over time.