Apple Inc. has acquired 26 firms in 15 months while pursuing increased diversity, a confident Tim Co

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I do find the paradox interesting: donate to poor minority uneducated schools while producing products that those same folks generally cannot afford.

This makes no sense at all. Apple can't contribute money unless it stops producing high margin or high priced products? What an absurd thing to say. Typical nonsense fallacy: link two silly ideas in a serious fashion to make it sound like the nonsense you're saying is some sort of logical conclusion.  People who make the most money have the easiest time contributing their excess toward others in need. Why is that hard to comprehend?

If the employees at apple want to contribute to various causes, just pay those employees more and see what they do with that money...

Apple does not pay Medicare-subsidized, unlivable Walmart-wages to its employees. And its employees (as most other well paid tech workers) contribute plenty to whatever they want to, often with matching support from their employer. This article is discussing direct contributions by Apple, made in its own corporate interest to achieve a worker base with a diversity of abilities and talents.

James Watson discovered quite some time ago that you can't correct IQ disparity with money. You might capture of few smart kids who otherwise would have "fallen through the cracks" but you won't save everyone.

How many people know folks that had great suburban education opportunities that squandered it? Was this a lack of funds? Or... Perhaps some kids are either not smart enough or modivated enough?

I'm not going to try to stop you from being racist, but even if we only talk about white people for a minute, consider that rural America a century ago was full of borderline dysfunctional people, in large part due to poor nutrition, terrible environmental practices (including pervasive exposure to lead and other toxins) and poor education practices. It wasn't a matter of race or genetics that caused a revolution in productivity and overall intelligence as the US became an affluent nation, because these changes improved the lives of people in every race and ethnicity at the same time.

If anything, race shows how different populations develop differently when they are arbitrarily treated differently, denied access to healthcare, education, environmental protections, nutrition and other factors solely on the basis of their appearance.

Why do we keep trying to solve genetic disparities with money? It doesn't work... I have money and I can't memorize 100 digits in a row, get past a certain level of math, nor do I have extreme art talent even though I wish it. I can't buy myself motivation to execute on ideas even though I wish I could. I also wish I could stay awake 2 more hours of the day so I can do more... I am decent at what I do but no amount of money is going to bump my IQ another 10 points.

A signifcant portion of the human race, drew the "short straw", particularly where the current environment is concerned. People are NOT going to pay more for inferior products, ideas, performance, or whatever. When are folks going to "get" this.

Apple is not trying to "increase IQ," a simplistic, euro-centric number system created long ago by people without access to our modern understanding of what intelligence is. It may help reaffirm your hatred of other people to think that your ethnicity has a superior rating on some level, but this is a delusional fantasy on your part. 

At the same time, we also know that overall (and within any specific ethnic group), exposure to lead, malnutrition and a lack of early care and education result in less intelligent, less capable, less healthy people who are more expensive for society to support and more likely to live in poverty and more likely to commit crime. We have tons of data about how the removal of lead from gasoline resulted in an incredible reduction in crime rates across the board, in every race.

To sit back and issue coded messages that indicate that you believe whites are superior and more intelligent just makes you look incredibly ignorant, but also a fantastically self-righteous asshole, because you grew up in relative privilege just because you are white.

• Reply 82 of 101
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    [@]Corrections[/@], I like when you reply but I'd think that an AI staff member could use the forums markup properly when doing so.

To make it easier for me to show proper forum etiquette, I created a keyboard shorcut so that '[font="courier new"]qqq[/font]' will input the closed quote, a few returns and then the open quote text. It not only makes it easier to read, but easier to respond.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/56495/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 83 of 101
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

@Corrections, I like when you reply but I'd think that an AI staff member could use the forums markup properly when doing so.

To make it easier, I created a keyboard shorcut so that 'qqq' will input the closed quote, a few returns and then the open quote text. It not only makes it easier to read, but easier to respond.

Nifty!

- edit - except it works differently  for the IOS app and on OS X (html). Did you set up a shortcut for each? And what is that screenshot of? My comment edit window looks different in both IOS app and Safari.

• Reply 84 of 101
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

While it's okay to say, "I love this", Jobs always using "I" reflected his ego.   Imagine a team of Apple employees who just spent 18 hours a day for the last nine months developing a new product and then watching Jobs get up there and using nothing but the word "I".   

The fact that Cook says "we" does not reflect detachment, IMO.   It reflects his understanding of the reality that Apple has a wealth of talented executives and creators who drive the company.    To do the opposite endangers the company.   Because if Apple was only about Cook (as many perceived it to be only about Jobs), if something happens to Cook, then the perception is that the company can fail.   And the stock price did take a hit when Jobs had to leave the company, but the press was far more negative - some felt that Apple couldn't survive.   That doesn't happen when Apple is a "we" and with 100,000 employees, it should be a "we".   

When I was an exec, I made a conscious point to always say "we" when I was doing presentations.    There were some VPs in the company who would never hire great people, because they were paranoid that the hires would be better than they were (and they would have been) and eventually take their jobs.   I always hired great people with the intent that they should eventually be qualified to take over my job.   I always felt that the stronger the people who I hired, the stronger it made me.   

Agree. It's been made pretty clear with the Ive media blitz that the watch is his baby. Jobs was the rightful "I" behind Apple, and the iProducts that followed. Cook is doing just fine where he is, and is rightfully attributing Apple's achievements to the team (that Steve built), while pushing some credit to Ive through the media, who doesn't want to be on the stage. What do people wish had happened, Forstall as CEO? We'd have animated card shredders and crap everywhere still (talk about wasted energy going into OS development).

I had pictured them doing more of a "real life" usage demo with the Watch instead of Lynch up there, but I think they have enough confidence that they won't have to sell this too hard — it'll sell itself when people start seeing them being used in real real life. :) Also picking out awkward keynote bits could be done with any Apple keynote ever. At least this one was Bono-fingertouching-free.

• Reply 85 of 101
    paxman wrote: »

Nifty!

- edit - except it works differently  for the IOS app and on OS X (html). Did you set up a shortcut for each? And what is that screenshot of? My comment edit window looks different in both IOS app and Safari.

Yes, that's for Mac OS X. At one point my keyboard shortcuts were automatically synced between Mac OS X and iOS, but that hasn't been the case for awhile.

You can't type the returns in the text box provided, as far I know, but you can copy it that way from a text or window and it will maintain those returns.

Here is a list of ones I use for AI to help facility more efficient replies. (Note: I removed all the ones I use for various other things so you won't find any juiceless tidbits about my personal life in there :))

IMG400
  • Reply 86 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nifty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Yes, that's for Mac OS X. At one point my keyboard shortcuts were automatically synced between Mac OS X and iOS, but that hasn't been the case for awhile.

You can't type the returns in the text box provided, as far I know, but you can copy it that way from a text or window and it will maintain those returns.

Here is a list of ones I use for AI to help facility more efficient replies. (Note: I removed all the ones I use for various other things so you won't find any juiceless tidbits about my personal life in there image)

Clever. I am so used to option-shift-k by now, but in IOS that's very useful. My shortcuts sync instantly across my devices so I may create variants.

You say that the above is for OS X but the screenshots are from IOS. When I switch to 'code' in Safari (on this forum) its all regular html, no square brackets.

Out of curiosity - what do you get when you do 'lll'? Does it just give you two options?

And finally, the only truly interesting thing here is what bbb stands for! There'd be a few wild guess had this been earlier in the thread :)

• Reply 87 of 101
    Clever. I am so used to option-shift-k by now, but in IOS that's very useful. My shortcuts sync instantly across my devices so I may create variants.

On Mac OS X I still use Option-Shift-K for the ? symbol.
    You say that the above is for OS X but the screenshots are from IOS. When I switch to 'code' in Safari (on this forum) its all regular html, no square brackets.

I'm not sure I follow. My first screenshot was from a Mac in the desktop version of the forum SW. The other images are all from my iPhone.
    Out of curiosity - what do you get when you do 'lll'? Does it just give you two options?

1) That's just a mistake. I wonder if that was because it synced at some point after I had created one on my iPhone. I saw it after the fact and deleted it, as well as the 'omy', which wants to keep appearing with a major iOS update.

2) If you're wondering about 'xxxx' it creates the multiplication sign (×), which is nicer than the standard x.

3) I just added the Courier New font mark up to my shortcut list since I sometimes use it a lot.
    And finally, the only truly interesting thing here is what bbb stands for! There'd be a few wild guess had this been earlier in the thread :)

That's how I create redacted text when I'm trying to be whimsical or funny. It's a pain to google it or look through OS X's special characters.

PS: I posted the same screenshot twice. It's been corrected now.
  • Reply 88 of 101
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow. My first screenshot was from a Mac in the desktop version of the forum SW. The other images are all from my iPhone.

I figured out the visual inconsitencies - I had my desktop forum set to Rich Text Editor whereas you are using the BB code Editor interface.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    I figured out the visual inconsitencies - I had my desktop forum set to Rich Text Editor whereas you are using the BB code Editor interface.

I hate Huddler's Rich Text Editor because it can add all sort of crazy HTML code in there. I'm sure you've seen it. Everyone should use the BB Editor. You can still add HTML to your comment as you see fit so it's not limiting our posting ability, but sure making it nicer for those replying to us.
  • Reply 90 of 101
    TC, Tim Cook is brilliant and has disproved all the many Nay Sayers of dubious repute.
    Apple, a company with marvelous Design and Technology and now
    a clearly defined sense of Ethics and equality of opportunity under Tim Cook.
    Apple is a company I have always respect and even more so now. Tim's view on
    Health Kit, assisting scientific, empirical medical research above short termism of dollars
    Is not only right but but totally correct.
    I am pleased to be a part of this company and will proudly continue to hold Apple Shares (UK).
  • Reply 91 of 101
    I hate Huddler's Rich Text Editor because it can add all sort of crazy HTML code in there. I'm sure you've seen it. Everyone should use the BB Editor. You can still add HTML to your comment as you see fit so it's not limiting our posting ability, but sure making it nicer for those replying to us.

Yes, Rich Text Editor does add a rich flora of html. Splitting up a post was a nightmare. So thanks.
  • Reply 92 of 101
    For those wondering what we're discussing or where to do it...

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/55955/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 93 of 101
    Spot on Slurpy.
    UK long term Apple investor.
    Tim Cook is cool, very clever and has ethical standards that the political 'Right' will never 'get' and despise.
    Why ? because TC has proven you can make huge profits and have ethical standards
  • Reply 94 of 101

Just flabbergasted that Cook/Apple submit to the race hustler and shake down artist, Jesse Jackson. 

• Reply 95 of 101
    Just flabbergasted that Cook/Apple submit to the race hustler and shake down artist, Jesse Jackson. 
    You may not like or approve of JJ but I am not sure Apple submitted to anything. They are all big girls and boys at Apple.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Isn't that frosty guy the same person who defended cops for shooting unarmed black civilians??

Yeah screw Tim Cook for being human right?
  • Reply 97 of 101
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

It’s hard for you to purposely misread what I’ve written when I don’t write much, isn’t it? Poor Crowley.
    So that's your defence all the time now?

Good stuff.
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You may not like or approve of JJ but I am not sure Apple submitted to anything. They are all big girls and boys at Apple.

Announcing a push for "diversity" and having Jesse Jackson on stage does suggest they in fact did submit to the race baiter/shakedown artist himself. They no doubt fear him, otherwise they wouldn't have given him the time of day. Don't be surprised if a close look at Apple's books reveal contributions to Rainbow Push et al, all in the name of "diversity"...whatever that is...cannot and should not try to root rights in empiricism...it becomes a numbers game which is flawed. 

• Reply 99 of 101
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Here is a list of ones I use for AI to help facility more efficient replies. (Note: I removed all the ones I use for various other things so you won't find any juiceless tidbits about my personal life in there :))

Big black and beautiful?
    cali wrote: »
    Isn't that frosty guy the same person who defended cops for shooting unarmed black civilians??

Don't bring this up again. It's not like the citizens were just chilling on a park bench.
  • Reply 100 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

hmm, I thought Kevin Lynch's demo was very good, telling a rather smooth and compelling story. Cook doesn't have SJ's charisma but did a good job of sharing the limelight with his lieutenants. I do miss Jobs's intensity.

I like Kevin Lynch, but I have to admit I missed Craig Federighi on stage. That guy is a riot!His presentations always rock!