Upcoming book reveals Steve Jobs refused liver transplant offer from Tim Cook, didn't want Apple to

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70

I deleted my tasteless joke.

• Reply 22 of 70

Tim's a good guy.

• Reply 23 of 70
    Buy Yahoo and clean up a huge mess of subsidiaries; it would take all of Apple's $175 billion cash pile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Yahoo!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yahoo!-owned_sites_and_services

When was this discussed?

Almost all of Yahoo's worth comes from its holdings of Alibaba. Its own operating assets are essentially worthless. If Apple bought Yahoo, all they'd be doing is buying 15 percent of Alibaba.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Almost all of Yahoo's worth comes from its holdings of Alibaba. Its own operating assets are essentially worthless. If Apple bought Yahoo, all they'd be doing is buying 15 percent of Alibaba.

Doesn't Microsoft provide the backend for Yahoo anyway?

• Reply 25 of 70
    Did Steve ever receive a transplant?
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by awesomeepicguy View Post

Yes.

• Reply 27 of 70
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I deleted my tasteless joke.

The flaw in your logic is your assumption that any words coming out of that pie-hole of yours is tasteful.

Buzz-off troll.

• Reply 28 of 70
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

He did, but the damage was already done.  The cancer had spread to his liver from elsewhere.  He knew he was on borrowed time.  Such a shame that he didn't address the initial diagnosis quickly when it could have been stopped.

• Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

He did, but the damage was already done.  The cancer had spread to his liver from elsewhere.  He knew he was on borrowed time.  Such a shame that he didn't address the initial diagnosis quickly when it could have been stopped.

Well, he tried to address it with plants rather than medicine, which didn't help either.

• Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Quote:

These things happen.

• Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

There is a tendency to take everything Steve Jobs said as gospel which is odd considering he is also famous for changing his mind on a dime.

Of course. How else can people continue to bash Jobs and Apple for years (everything from the iPad Mini to large screen phones) by taking things he said out of context?

On another note, did people miss the obvious here? The odds that two people share the same "rare" blood type are already low. The odds that two supermen from the same company (who both were fabulous CEOs) shared the same blood type must be astronomical.

• Reply 32 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Cook shared the same rare blood type as Jobs

He is the chosen one. The blood of the king flows through his veins. The throne now rightfully belongs to Prince Cook.

So they'd be getting Yahoo almost for free. Yahoo's market cap is ~$39b, their stake in Alibaba is $30-40b. They buy Yahoo, sell off the Alibaba shares and they've got all of Yahoo's property for nothing. Not to mention, we'd get to see more of Marissa Meyer, maybe at the keynote, which is good for diversity and all that.
    Jobs revealed his stance on TV to Jony Ive during one of their first meetings, saying, "I just don't like television. Apple will never make a TV again." Jobs was likely referring to the Macintosh TV, an early 1990s attempt to combine a computer with a television set.

The quote is in contrast to information published in Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography from 2011. In Isaacson's telling, Jobs said he "<a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/21/steve_jobs_told_biographer_he_cracked_the_secret_to_a_simple_hdtv">cracked</a>" the code to making a simple television, setting off a tempest of rumors that have yet to die.

Steve Jobs explained the TV problem they came across:

http://www.wsj.com/video/d8-steve-jobs-on-television/FF922002-FA63-4B68-A326-EA12EC800612.html

There was no go-to-market strategy, their only option was to add another set-top box. They wanted to get rid of all the boxes and build one standard (the way a browser would for example interpret web pages via various open standards HTTP, HTML etc or the GSM phone decoders) but cable companies worldwide don't use standard connections, they have proprietary boxes. It wasn't a tech problem, it was a problem in getting to the market.

By dropping the price of the Apple TV box, they are putting this all encompassing set-top box in people's homes. Microsoft is sort of trying this too - XBox One marketing uses the tagline 'all in one, input 1'. They intended the XBox to be the box you plugged everything else into, including TV and you'd use the XBox UI for everything with the XBox being input 1 on the TV. This media box route is going to be a slow strategy but it'll probably get there in the end because they're all working with web standards. Once broadband speeds are able to sustain rates above 20Mbps for a lot of people, TV distribution via standard internet distribution will be easier. Fortunately content providers are picking up on this and the HBO deal is a good step in the right direction.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cook shared the same rare blood type as Jobs

He is the chosen one. The blood of the king flows through his veins. The throne now rightfully belongs to Prince Cook.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram 

So they'd be getting Yahoo almost for free. Yahoo's market cap is ~$39b, their stake in Alibaba is $30-40b. They buy Yahoo, sell off the Alibaba shares and they've got all of Yahoo's property for nothing. Not to mention, we'd get to see more of Marissa Meyer, maybe at the keynote, which is good for diversity and all that.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs revealed his stance on TV to Jony Ive during one of their first meetings, saying, "I just don't like television. Apple will never make a TV again." Jobs was likely referring to the Macintosh TV, an early 1990s attempt to combine a computer with a television set.

The quote is in contrast to information published in Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography from 2011. In Isaacson's telling, Jobs said he "cracked" the code to making a simple television, setting off a tempest of rumors that have yet to die.

Steve Jobs explained the TV problem they came across:

http://www.wsj.com/video/d8-steve-jobs-on-television/FF922002-FA63-4B68-A326-EA12EC800612.html

There was no go-to-market strategy, their only option was to add another set-top box. They wanted to get rid of all the boxes and build one standard (the way a browser would for example interpret web pages via various open standards HTTP, HTML etc or the GSM phone decoders) but cable companies worldwide don't use standard connections, they have proprietary boxes. It wasn't a tech problem, it was a problem in getting to the market.

By dropping the price of the Apple TV box, they are putting this all encompassing set-top box in people's homes. Microsoft is sort of trying this too - XBox One marketing uses the tagline 'all in one, input 1'. They intended the XBox to be the box you plugged everything else into, including TV and you'd use the XBox UI for everything with the XBox being input 1 on the TV. This media box route is going to be a slow strategy but it'll probably get there in the end because they're all working with web standards. Once broadband speeds are able to sustain rates above 20Mbps for a lot of people, TV distribution via standard internet distribution will be easier. Fortunately content providers are picking up on this and the HBO deal is a good step in the right direction.

Apple TV has been a non-starter in the UK since its inception, due to the lack of support for the main broadcasters. 

Like radio, we are a special case. We have exceptionally good radio, which I suspect is partly why iTunes Radio still hasn't arrived. Ditto tv. For many years, we were considered to have the best tv in the world, even though it’s always been dire in the 21st century. Many of the best shows come from the US, now, though.

• Reply 34 of 70

I don't know.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I don't know.

Me, neither.

• Reply 36 of 70
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

I don't know.

Yahoo never had free-text search. Yahoo originally showed you their curated directory, but the search was a frontend for AltaVista, then Google, then Bing.

• Reply 37 of 70
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

A TV is nothing but a box to stream content. Big whoop. A box and a remote. What else could there be? The rest is interface.

And then you have to deal with all of the content providers.

I think Netflix "cracked it", more or less (it could have better features) by becoming a producer and a content provider and leaving the hardware to others.

And TVs do not seem to be a high margin product and a hassle. And people don't upgrade them too often. Not like phones or computers.

• Reply 38 of 70
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member

Well, given that Steve had a wife and kids, one might say not at least considering Tim's offer could be construed as selfish in some respects.

Clearly, his choice, and we don't know all the circumstances, but the excerpt seems to imply, from a time frame perspective, it would have had some decent chance of saving him.

• Reply 39 of 70
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What business associate would ever offer to donate their liver to their boss? Absolutely incredible.

I hope everyone reading would consider it. Obviously it is a personal non-trivial choice. But a liver donation is not like a kidney donation. A modest portion of the liver is removed and the donor's liver regenerates to replace the donated portion. So the risks are minor and a life is saved. A lot of bang for the buck.

• Reply 40 of 70
    desuserign wrote: »
    I hope everyone reading would consider it. Obviously it is a personal non-trivial choice. But a liver donation is not like a kidney donation. A modest portion of the liver is removed and the donor's liver regenerates to replace the donated portion. So the risks are minor and a life is saved. A lot of bang for the buck.

I definitely would. I've known him for 6+ years, met his wife and daughters, he is a good guy. I would want his family to have him for as long as possible.

I also for sure would have donated my liver to Steve Jobs if I had the opportunity. It would have been an honor.