Project Titan, SixtyEight & SG5: Inside Apple's top-secret electric car project

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Nice job guys.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    trumantruman Posts: 1member
    Titan SG5. I didnt know Apple had the ability to make a Stargate :)
    Seriously thought, good read, but I would be surprised if Apple do make a physical car instead of focusing on the management software interface of a vehicle.
  • Reply 23 of 145
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I wonder why Apple didn't just use their own building in Sunnyvale instead of fake building. The own a bunch of the a mile away from where I work. Does not make sense at all.
  • Reply 24 of 145
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    It seems to me that it indeed points to super secret automotive work. Doesn't necessarily mean they're building a car from scratch, even though I hope they are! One thing I just thought of, is that they could be doing automotive research to beef up CarPlay into something bigger (and with different name). For example, a modern car these days has: tire pressure sensors, fuel economy, water sensors for rain, backup cameras, self driving capabilities like parallel parking and lane shifting, and more. They could be experimenting with a much larger car "OSX" of sorts for the car, that would be the "brain". Build deep integration into it, and couple it with something akin to the Automatic Link system and it would be a huge hook.

Yes - In order to develop CarPlay and expand its capabilities Apple would need considerable work shop facilities, expertise in automotive engineering etc. It may be nothing more than that (but in itself that's big). I'd see that as the most plausible answer.

If that is the case it could easily develop into something more in the future. But for Apple to develop a car of their own they would need to bring something very new to the field. No way would Apple want to become just another car manufacturer of either luxury or urban 'everyman' type cars. The auto market is VERY different from the small personal device market. It is highly fragmented and diversified and each country / continent has its own needs and traditions. I wonder if Apple would want to enter into this world with their own vehicles. It is completely outside of their area of expertise.
  • Reply 25 of 145
    All that "detective work" for what is more than likely the operations center for those mapping vans we already know about.
  • Reply 26 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The auto market is VERY different from the small personal device market. It is highly fragmented and diversified and each country / continent has its own needs and traditions. I wonder if Apple would want to enter into this world with their own vehicles. It is completely outside of their expertise.

"The cell phone market is VERY different from the computer and iPod market. It is highly fragmented and diversified, and each carrier has their own needs, as well as each country. I wonder if Apple would want to enter this world with their own phone. It is completely outside of their expertise."

In short, “PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”

• Reply 27 of 145
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    April 1 falls early this year.
  • Reply 28 of 145
    "The cell phone market is VERY different from the computer and iPod market. It is highly fragmented and diversified, and each carrier has their own needs, as well as each country. I wonder if Apple would want to enter this world with their own phone. It is completely outside of their expertise."

In short, “PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”
    I'd argue that the cellphone market is much closer to Apple's core expertise than the auto market. There definitely is a component of the auto market that falls within Apple's (traditional) area and that component will undoubtedly increase with the growth of electric vehicles and driving automation. I can totally see it and I am excited about it, but I am not convinced. It would be a massive undertaking and I am sure Apple could be successful at it they feel excited about it and feel they could make a significant difference. I know too little about the auto industry to assess it.
  • Reply 29 of 145
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

If anyone has the resources (money) to get into this business...it would be Apple. As we know, electric cars are far less complex than traditional cars. Apple is certainly in the cat bird seat.

• Reply 30 of 145
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I was thinking the Apple shaped beam of light shone onto the clouds to get ARSA ... Apple Road Side Assistance.

Genius!
  • Reply 31 of 145
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Look guys, it is pretty obvious that Apple has had access to the Area 51 facility.

The new SpaceShip campus must be the exit from the Tunnel from Area 51 so the ship can take off without anyone noticing.

Thus the 6000 trees on campus.

• Reply 32 of 145

It has to be just for Carplay.  Wouldn't developing an actual car require a ton more space?  Like airport hanger size 

• Reply 33 of 145

If it was named SixtyNine Research...I'd flip for that. Ironically, tomorrow is March 14th and my steaks are marinating now ;)...Google it.

In all seriousness, this is one of the most entertaining articles I've read on AI in years. If it's true, it was a great investigation. Either way, I think this article will get Apple media types locked on it 24/7 with cameras to try and get a glimpse of anything coming or going out those rear loading dock doors.

• Reply 34 of 145
    In all seriousness, this is one of the most entertaining articles I've read on AI in years. If it's true, it was a great investigation.

+1
  • Reply 35 of 145
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

<snip> Either way, I think this article will get Apple media types locked on it 24/7 with cameras to try and get a glimpse of anything coming or going out those rear loading dock doors.

You've got that right...especially if any media giants outside of the Apple-centric sites pick up the story and run with it. Plenty of people interested in rumors of what the world's most valuable company (market cap) might be up to next and how things are progressing.

If true, this would really be thinking out of the box...risk taking at its best.

• Reply 35 of 145
    If it was named SixtyNine Research...I'd flip for that. Ironically, tomorrow is March 14th and my steaks are marinating now ;)...Google it.
    In all seriousness, this is one of the most entertaining articles I've read on AI in years. If it's true, it was a great investigation. Either way, I think this article will get Apple media types locked on it 24/7 with cameras to try and get a glimpse of anything coming or going out those rear loading dock doors.

Love that movie. Richard Benjamin is perfect.
  • Reply 37 of 145
    zklausz wrote: »
    It has to be just for Carplay.  Wouldn't developing an actual car require a ton more space?  Like airport hanger size 
    The whole process of developing a car is interesting and there are a lot of companies that develop highly specialized vehicles, from utility vehicles to top of the line niche race cars. As the Koreans have proven you can use existing technology and build very good reliable cars using established methods. Nothing new, just tried and tested. Or you can get interesting and go the Lotus way as when they developed the Lotus Elise (1996?). The car's frame was made from aluminum (extruded I think) and was not welded. I remember seeing a documentary on how they glued it all together. I am not sure that you need an airport hanger but it would need to be big. You'd definitely need to test the thing extensively. Car manufacturers usually disguise their test models heavily when they are road tested but I expect there exists specialized wind tunnel and crash test facilities that one can hire. I am no expert but bringing out a new car from scratch must be a big deal. You don't want the thing disintegrating on impact, or dropping a wheel when reversing or anything. Safety is a huge deal.

What makes me doubt the whole thing is wether an Apple Car would dilute the Apple brand. Apple's name may help launch and sell the thing, but persistent problems could also tarnish the brand. Samsung produces a whole bunch of different products under the Samsung brand. I am not sure if that is a good idea.
  • Reply 38 of 145
    Sixty Eight sounds like a reference to the 68000 processor in the original Macs. They might consider this to be another "Pirate" project like Steve Jobs lead.
  • Reply 39 of 145
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ross.alex.k View Post

Doesn't necessarily mean they're building a car from scratch, even though I hope they are!

Cars are made up of hundreds of tiny systems.  Apple could be approaching it from the 70s AMC perspective: Style it, add features, use commodity parts for the rest.  Most people don't care about brakes, wheels, engines, etc.  They just want a car that is cool, has great features, and gets when where they want to go.

Self-Driving cars will come, but auto-manufacturers are really tied up with everything else and blinded by their own experience to change the fundamental approach to driving.  I know for I are an engineer.

• Reply 40 of 145
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    All that "detective work" for what is more than likely the operations center for those mapping vans we already know about.
    I suspect that too.