Project Titan, SixtyEight & SG5: Inside Apple's top-secret electric car project

Comments

• Reply 61 of 145
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, analysts now have lung cancer. That’s a plus.

According to Tim Cooks, Steve Jobs didn't want Apple to build TV.

• Reply 62 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I'd argue that the cellphone market is much closer to Apple's core expertise than the auto market. There definitely is a component of the auto market that falls within Apple's (traditional) area and that component will undoubtedly increase with the growth of electric vehicles and driving automation. I can totally see it and I am excited about it, but I am not convinced. It would be a massive undertaking and I am sure Apple could be successful at it they feel excited about it and feel they could make a significant difference. I know too little about the auto industry to assess it.

Is Google car something close to Google search engine beside the word "engine"? The conversation on this ends here.

• Reply 63 of 145
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Among front-engine cars, yes. But there's no reason to put an electric motor over the front wheels, which take most of the steering, braking and suspension stress of the vehicle.

Tesla's solution should be attended to. The main motor's in the back and the batteries aren't even loading the front.

The joys of driving a rear engine car are worth any trade-off in oversteer. But overall balance must be calibrated. Porsche found that no more than 63 per cent of the weight could go behind the rear axle. Mid-engine is of course also fantastic.

Anyway, no need for the long phallic engine compartment if you're going electric. Tesla is needlessly conventional in its design in that respect.
    Could not agree more. I think the Tesla is quite pretty but I always wondered why electric cars mimic combustion engined cars.

I don't own a Porsche but have driven one on a track (with an instructor). I think it is the most fun I have ever had. Definitely the fastest I have ever driven around corners. Until you have tried it you can't believe how much confidence you have in the car's breaking and road holding ability. At any opportunity to drive a new Porsche on a track - take it! I am sure it would be the same with any other top brand sports car but for lack of having tried I have to be a Porsche fan :)
  • Reply 64 of 145
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Is Google car something close to Google search engine beside the word "engine"? The conversation on this ends here.
    Ok, then. I won't reply.
  • Reply 65 of 145
    An aside - how did Slurpy get banned?
  • Reply 66 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Of course those in the car business will say that.  They don't want new competition.  And didn't Nokia and Erickson say the same thing when the iPhone came out?  LOL. Apple DISRUPTS.

Apple Car is coming.

There is way too much smoke to be no fire.

I wonder how Apple can give Tesla a run for the money unless Apple can make a cheaper car with similar performance. At this time, Tesla S P85D is the beast but the price is out of reach for normal middle class person. That's why Tesla failed to sell the car. I don't think Apple can produce cars at $30K+ to make profit based on Apple product pricing so far (premium). As far as I love Apple products, I'll stick with BMW until the electric cars can deliver 400+ miles per charge and price is competitive to gasoline cars AND charge stations are ubiquitous.

• Reply 67 of 145
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Existing big automakers are unlikely to buy the entire electronics and control systems as OEM from Apple, or anyone else. Yes, I know they do that with components such as batteries, etc., but this system is too tied in to the brand's DNA. Like the engine. If Apple wants to be the UI of a car, they're either going to have to build one of their own, or partner with a niche player. Hope I'm wrong, but Titan is most likely there to work on those accessories related to cars that Apple can supply: Infotainment.
  • Reply 68 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Existing big automakers are unlikely to buy the entire electronics and control systems as OEM from Apple, or anyone else. Yes, I know they do that with components such as batteries, etc., but this system is too tied in to the brand's DNA. Like the engine. If Apple wants to be the UI of a car, they're either going to have to build one of their own, or partner with a niche player. Hope I'm wrong, but Titan is most likely there to work on those accessories related to cars that Apple can supply: Infotainment.

Infotainment doesn't require a secretive location to develop. It's announced last year and pretty much software integration. I would bet Apple's up on something big, really big, the e-car indeed.

• Reply 69 of 145
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Infotainment doesn't require a secretive location to develop. It's announced last year and pretty much software integration. I would bet Apple's up on something big, really big, the e-car indeed.
    Seriously? Apple is secretive about EVERYTHING. You think CarPlay is being developed behind display windows with factory tours just because it is in production?
  • Reply 70 of 145
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Tesla's solution should be attended to. The main motor's in the back and the batteries aren't even loading the front.

The entire undercarriage carries the batteries so I would imagine that lowered center of gravity balanced the weight distribution quite well.

The new Tesla Model S is four wheel drive so the weight ratio should be even more balanced now. 

• Reply 71 of 145
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

I haven't seen much in the way of adoption of wheel hub motors (they might be called something else as well), and that would be a slick means of powering a car or adding two more drive wheels to an existing front wheel drive electric or hybrid vehicle. Big problem with them is can be unsprung weight, but there some are workarounds to that even.

That assembly is exactly the type of mechanism that Apple could use its supply chain smarts to bring to the market.

• Reply 72 of 145
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    @flaneur, @fallenjt, @paxman, @mstone: you guys really should test drive a Model S…
    "it don't cost nuthin'"
  • Reply 73 of 145
    quinney wrote: »
    @flaneur, @fallenjt, @paxman, @mstone: you guys really should test drive a Model S…
    "it don't cost nuthin'"
    I would love to. I imagine the torque to be something else :)
  • Reply 74 of 145
    ailow wrote: »
    The codename for the first iPhone was "M68".

http://m.imore.com/history-iphone-2g

The plot surely thickens.....
  • Reply 75 of 145
    ailow wrote: »
    The codename for the first iPhone was "M68".

http://m.imore.com/history-iphone-2g

An iPhone. An iPad. A transportation device.

An iPhone…an iPad…a transportation device…

An iPhone, an iPad—ARE YOU GETTING IT NOW?!

It's an iPhone that transforms into an iPad and an iCar!!!
  • Reply 76 of 145
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    quinney wrote: »
    "it don't cost nuthin'"

I saw they travel around giving test drive events by appointment. Do they also take you out from the Santa Monica Blvd. showroom? What's been your experience with them, in other words?
  • Reply 77 of 145
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, analysts now have lung cancer. That’s a plus.

That's not such saying much considering that before lung cancer they already had brain cancer.

• Reply 78 of 145
    Well now. I'm not one who likes to ground flights of fancy but a little reality check would help.

While I'm sure that some elements of these stories will pan out and some will not I'd remind you that a recent story mentioned that Apple was bringing their security and shuttle operations in house. It looks like they're setting up facilities to garage and maintain the fleet they're going to have to maintain. Having worked for a number of bus companies (one of which had a limo company under its wing) as driver, security agent and dispatcher at different times this is what I see in these descriptions.
  • Reply 79 of 145
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

An iPhone. An iPad. A transportation device.

An iPhone…an iPad…a transportation device…

An iPhone, an iPad—ARE YOU GETTING IT NOW?!

It's an iPhone that transforms into an iPad and an iCar!!!

• Reply 80 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

... and (from CNet)  :-)

"1968 - Jobs calls Bill Hewlett, the co-founder and co-namesake of Hewlett-Packard, looking for spare parts to build a frequency counter. Hewlett gives Jobs the parts, as well as an internship with the company that summer."

The same year that Apple Records was formed.