Screenshots expose 'Activity' Apple Watch app hidden in iOS 8.2

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2015
Hidden within the newly released iOS 8.2 update for iPhone, the official "Activity" iPhone app for the Apple Watch has been discovered, with new screenshots showcasing how the software will look when a Watch is paired.

The Activity software was unlocked by iOS developer Hamza Sood, who posted screenshots of the app to his Twitter account. The main section appears to be the History tab, which displays the familiar Move, Stand, and Exercise rings seen in demonstrations of the Apple Watch. Going beyond what's possible on that device though, the iPhone app lets users see activity for a specific day, month, or year.

A second tab, Achievements, hints at a set of Xbox-style awards for hitting fitness milestones. The requirements for the awards aren't listed, but there are least 15 of them.

The Activity app is dedicated solely to syncing Watch fitness data. It can't be used with another fitness tracker, and in fact another screenshot from Sood reveals that it requires people to configure the Watch version of the app first.

Some controversy emerged this week when iPhone owners discovered that iOS 8.2 automatically installs the Apple Watch companion app and won't let them delete it, regardless of whether they actually have a Watch. The company is also removing rival fitness trackers from its stores, and both factors have led to complaints that Apple is trying to "push" the Watch on iPhone owners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Apple is trying to "push" the Watch on iPhone owners.

Duh. iBooks, maps, newsstand, music, mail, Safari, etc. just move to a different screen.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Ugh, Apple is taking up more space on my iPhone with apps I'll never use. I wish this were an optional download from the app store, while the Apple Watch looks cool, I have no intention of buying one in the near future.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don't like the icon either. (Until I tossed it into my Other folder along with other things I rarely--or never--need. Soul-wrenching crisis averted!)

But Apple would be INSANE not to pre-install this reminder of the Watch product. Like it or not, I'm afraid the benefit vs. harm falls in that direction. They made the intelligent decision.

For every one person who thinks yet-another-icon is the straw that broke the camel's back and pretends they'll jump to an Android AbandonWare%u2122 Phone over it... there are 100 other people who will actually buy an Apple Watch!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Sounds like WankBand from youtube comic advertisment ;)
  • Reply 5 of 21
    dannshdannsh Posts: 24member
    I agree with dsr1122. I move those icons to page of the phone I never use.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple isn't pushing the watch to users by just having the icon or removing competing devices. If the damn thing starts prompting me every time I unlock my iPhone...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

…mail, Safari… …just move to a different screen.

So you’re a masochist?

• Reply 8 of 21
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    dannsh wrote: »
    I agree with dsr1122. I move those icons to page of the phone I never use.
    Mine is a 'Stuff' folder. I don't even see it anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    nagromme wrote: »
    For every one person who thinks yet-another-icon is the straw that broke the camel's back and pretends they'll jump to an Android AbandonWare%u2122 Phone over it... there are 100 other people who will actually buy an Apple Watch!

Yup. And if they do jump to an Android phone - be prepared to root it! The carriers control the phones and apps bundled from the OS maker will be the least of their worries.

And if you are going to root an Android phone to remove the carrier installed crap, just jailbreak your iPhone where you can just as easily remove the Apple provided stuff too.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dsr1122 wrote: »
    Ugh, Apple is taking up more space on my iPhone with apps I'll never use. I wish this were an optional download from the app store, while the Apple Watch looks cool, I have no intention of buying one in the near future.

Doesn't that app only appear when you have ?Watch tethered?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsr1122 View Post

these stock apps are akin to to settings panes in OS X or Windows -- and you can't remove those. does anyone say:

"Ugh, Apple is taking up more space on my Mac with settings panes I'll never use. I wish this were an optional download from the app store, while Print & Scan looks cool, I have no intention of buying one in the near future."

• Reply 12 of 21
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

It does seem odd that the Apple Watch App is an app at all, don't you think?  The Nike Fitness App pops up when you have a Fuel band configured to it.  Otherwise, it's "hidden".  Why can't the Watch App be something hidden in Settings until you actually try to pair a watch to the phone?

With the Activity App.  Why not just allow iPhone Users to use the plethora of sensors on the iPhone to use the app?  You know why?  They want you to buy the watch.  Duh.  But it would be nice for people who don't necessarily want to buy the watch to use the Activity App just on the phone.

• Reply 13 of 21
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    these stock apps are akin to to settings panes in OS X or Windows -- and you can't remove those. does anyone say:

"Ugh, Apple is taking up more space on my Mac with settings panes I'll never use. I wish this were an optional download from the app store, while Print & Scan looks cool, I have no intention of buying one in the near future."

I don't understand why people just don't put them into a separate folder titled "Apple" or "?".
  • Reply 14 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    docno42 wrote: »

Yup. And if they do jump to an Android phone - be prepared to root it! The carriers control the phones and apps bundled from the OS maker will be the least of their worries.

And if you are going to root an Android phone to remove the carrier installed crap, just jailbreak your iPhone where you can just as easily remove the Apple provided stuff too.
    Simply avoid the carriers altogether. I bought three "pure" Android Moto X's, unlocked. with absolutely no bloatware or carrier crap. The Moto X isn't the only phone available with zero carrier installed stuff. Really no different than buying an iPhone unlocked other than the OS. Understood of course that iOS is superior to Android in many areas so it's not a viable option for most anyone here.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    kiowavtkiowavt Posts: 95member
    And if there are protests for dropping the fitness bands, maybe Apple will be forced also to carry Android phones and tablets and PC computers and such. Have to be fair after all. :-)
  • Reply 16 of 21
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I don't understand why people just don't put them into a separate folder titled "Apple" or "?".

Why not let people delete these Apple apps rather than have a separate location to keep them?

• Reply 17 of 21
    pfisher wrote: »
    Why not let people delete these Apple apps rather than have a separate location to keep them?

So Apple should let you delete Finder, Safari, Terminal, Disk Utility and all those other Mac apps, too?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    adamoadamo Posts: 3member
    The iPhone 6 is my first iPhone after being on android years... Many quirks irritated me however the phone is solid and iOS is actually a solid platform HOWEVER this forced Apple watch app is complete nonsense. A 1/2 gig used up for something I will never use. This is so sneaky. I should have paid attention to the size of the "software update". Guess it's my fault. This is not ok apple. Not okay. Get this stupid apple watch app off my phone
  • Reply 19 of 21
    adamoadamo Posts: 3member
    Pre loaded apps are fine, but disguising an unwanted apple watch app as a "software update" is nonsense. If I buy the watch, I will install the software. This move will not entice me to buy this product
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    adamo wrote: »
    Pre loaded apps are fine, but disguising an unwanted apple watch app as a "software update" is nonsense. If I buy the watch, I will install the software. This move will not entice me to buy this product

The watch App is listed in the iOS update details. No disguise.

Ignorance isn't a viable reason for outrage.