Swiss watch industry headed for an 'ice age' thanks to Apple Watch, Swatch inventor says

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 146
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I passed on the Surface to my daughter to use while she is in School in Ireland. I did however just pre-ordered the new Asus T300 Chi, a Transformer model, only 7.3mm thick, 15mm when connected to the keyboard and it only weighs 1.58 lbs. Sounds interesting, especially for the price and specs, Aluminum body, 12" display, 2560 x 1440 resolution, Wacom Stylus, Core-M, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, USB 3.0, micro USB, mini SD, mini HDMI, starts at only $800 for the 1080p model. I also use the BB Passport as my daily driver, best phone I have owned in a very long time, since my Nokia N950.

And how does this relate to the thread?  Also, seeing your favourite list of phones, why are you even here?  Seriously?

• Reply 142 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rebe1 View Post

And how does this relate to the thread? 

Damn, man, we'd have to erase 70% of the comments if being relative to the thread was a requirement for posting.

• Reply 143 of 146
    siretmansiretman Posts: 117member
    Damn, man, we'd have to erase 70% of the comments if being relative to the thread was a requirement for posting.
    I understand what you are saying but it is still a good question by rebe1. A lot of people hijack a thread for their own purposes thus ruining it for the rest of us. Yes, free speech is a good thing but some requirement to be relevant might be good. That would make the moderator job harder than monitoring for bad behavior.
    Back to the topic of the thread. I have never owned a Swatch and I do not even know their market but I absolutely agree that lots of watchmakers are going to be in a lot of hurt after Apple watch is released.
    I will be buying the 42 mm space black stainless steel watch with the same steel link bracelet. My wife is getting the 38mm silver SS watch with the silver link bracelet. I have not bought a watch in many years because I was wearing my company service anniversary gift watch. But I am really looking forward to enlarge my Apple product inventory with a new product category.
  • Reply 144 of 146
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    siretman wrote: »
    I have not bought a watch in many years because I was wearing my company service anniversary gift watch. But I am really looking forward to enlarge my Apple product inventory with a new product category.
    No offense, but the same company service watch for many years? You don't exactly sound like a watch person. I'm not sure you're in the best position to comment on the Swiss watchmakers predicament. And you are clearly an Apple fan. But not everyone needs everything the ?Watch can do, nor wants to be constrained by the limited fashion statement it can make. Indeed, for a watch enthusiast, I imagine they will absolutely be interested in buying an ?Watch if they are already an iPhone user, to add to their collection.

But others will be looking for options that meet other needs, like fashion, and durability. For me, I won't be buying an ?Watch this time around. Just like my dissapointment in the size offerings of the iPhone 6 series led me to buy a 5s, even though I really would like to use ?Pay. Instead I will stick to my stylish and functional Vestal Brig Tide and Train surf watch. When the ?Watch becomes water-resistant such that I can surf, swim and boat in it, to say nothing of take a shower in it, then I will likely buy one, because my entire life is integrated via Apple products. I don't otherwise wear watches now, but when I did, I can't imagine wearing the ?Watch exclusively, especially if I have to charge it daily, if not multiple times daily. I suspect the same may be true of other watch people.

If the traditional watch makers install chips in their watches to allow all manner of synchronization wih a smart phone, pad, or computer, I can see that as an acceptable and suitable alternative to the "wonders" offered by the ?Watch. If my Vestal surf watch had an ?Pay chip, or ANY kind of widely accepted payment option built-in, I wouldn't need anything else. But the most common use of sensors in wrist worn devices are for fitness, which should be easy enough to implement into the Swiss watches. So for those who do not own iPhones, why invest into the Apple ecosystem if they can get a more fashionable alternative that does the same thing (especially for less) -- the only thing an ?Watch seems to be able to do out of the box without an iPhone is tell time and track fitness; and I'm not even sure it can do that without an iPhone to initially set it up.

When the ?Watch becomes more of a true stand-alone device, I can see it becoming more of a threat to traditional watchmakers, but by that time, how much will those watch makers catch up to Apple with respect to key features? No doubt some will get out while they can now, but others will accept the challenge and be ready to cater to those who don't want to exclusively adopt Apple's smart watch solution.
  • Reply 145 of 146
    Someone needs cheapest luxury watches?
    Our online store sale rolex replica UK, [url=http://www.swisswatchesstore.co.uk/omega-c32.html]omega replica UK[/url], hublot replica UK, breiting replica UK, only need 80-300 GBP!