Who's afraid of the Apple Watch?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 341
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Microsoft's problem: no taste.
    Google's problem: they don't take anything seriously.  Except ads.

It seems like you were wrong about Apple swapping out the Watch's internals.
  • Reply 22 of 341
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yup.  Therefore I'll be getting the 42mm Space Gray model with black Sport Band instead of the 42mm Space Black stainless steel model with matching Space Gray Link Band.

• Reply 23 of 341
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Yup.  Therefore I'll be getting the 42mm Space Gray model with black Sport Band instead of the 42mm Space Black stainless steel model with matching Space Gray Link Band.

You really can't go wrong with any combination, but I like your style.
  • Reply 24 of 341
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,305member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    An iPhone costs twice as much as an Apple Watch Sport, yet I don't hear anyone complaining about not being able to swap it's internals.
  • Reply 25 of 341
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In stark contrast, Adam Fields, writing for Medium (apparently something anyone can do), complained that at the release of the Watch, "Apple died," replaced by an decadent imperialist monster (my phrase) offering "a gold version whose only substantial differentiating feature is that it's more expensive."

Well, that, and that it's made out of solid gold (which is expensive), developed using entirely different construction methods, hand polished and accompanied by upscale bands that people in the industry are describing as high quality but not really ostentatious. If it were actually only "more expensive," then nobody would buy it, because that's how capital markets work.

"Hand polished" by a kid at Foxconn earning $2 per hour. Ah that explains the price difference then.

• Reply 26 of 341
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    "Hand polished" by a kid at Foxconn earning $2 per hour. Ah that explains the price difference then.

Is that a serious comment?
  • Reply 27 of 341
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    I think the watch will be a success.
    Once the watches are seen in the wild a head of steam will build and they will sell well.
  • Reply 28 of 341
    hexclock wrote: »
    An iPhone costs twice as much as an Apple Watch Sport, yet I don't hear anyone complaining about not being able to swap it's internals.

It's subsidized plus has tons more features. The resale value is also higher because it comes with limited color options.
  • Reply 29 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

Being able to replace the internals of a $349 watch isn't so important.  But it's a different story when the watch costs north of $10,000.  Isn't that obvious?

• Reply 30 of 341
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

from the video: 1:03 'All these conversations show how privacy is still front and money...er front and centre.'

Classic Freudian slip.

• Reply 31 of 341
    As app developers, here are our Top-10 Reasons to Buy the Apple Watch http://michiganlabs.com/10-reasons-buy-apple-watch
  • Reply 32 of 341
    I was in Singapore this past week, and during some spare time, I was at a nice watch store -- selling watches mostly in the $100 - $1000 range -- to get a watch battery replaced.

While his employee was working on it, I asked the owner what he thought of the AppleWatch. First, he said he'll be buying one. Second, with a sardonic smile, he said that he expects to be put out of business in a couple of years.

I know it's one data point, but nevertheless....
  • Reply 33 of 341
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    BURN!
  • Reply 34 of 341
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is the most assine, ridiculous, ignorant, arrongant, self absored post I've read here in a while.

My God what is your problem. Just let people buy what they want and enjoy what they want. I'm buying a black AppleWatch and I don't need your pity at all.

By all means buy what you want and enjoy it, but the watch is fake ugly and extremely bad for the environment. If you are happy that millions of people will buy a new high tech watch every two years when an iPhone would have sufficed when many people bought one watch for life not long ago, go scream on the rooftops that you love pollution, that you love more mining, that you love waste etc. It's sad how much stuff people need to make them feel happy. God help us.

• Reply 35 of 341

"Let's ignore the fact that original Apple computers from just 40 years ago now sell at auction for over $900,000Yes...you SHOULD ignore that fact, because it's totally irrelevant in every way to the point you're trying to make.

The price paid by a museum for a one-of-a-kind piece of industrial history (the first pre-assembled computer ever sold, one of only 15 functional models known to exist, and hand-built by Apple's co-founder) has absolutely no parallel to the projected value of a mass-produced, mass-marketed product with no relevant provenance and no revolutionary impact on the modern world. Maybe you should have instead pointed out that an Apple Macintosh can be picked up in perfect working order for less than $100, losing more than 95% of its original $2500 price tag over 30 years. Because tech products are revised and upgraded with such frequency, they inherently lose value unless they hold some unique rarity and significance.

A quality mechanical watch, however, will function exactly the same in 50 years as it did when new, and hold its value for precisely that reason. A Rolex Submariner bought in in the 80s (around $1800 at the time) and decently maintained will be worth at least double its original purchase price today. An Apple Watch, by comparison, will be obsolete in less than 18 months, likely replaced by an upgrade that's thinner, more powerful, includes more features and, most crucially, doesn't require charging on a daily basis. It will be worth as much as my iPhone 3G for exactly the same reasons. Claiming that it is valuable because it's made of gold means it's only worth as much as the raw materials in it, and will hold or appreciate in value no more than old dental work or jewelry. 

• Reply 36 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

By all means buy what you want and enjoy it, but the watch is fake ugly and extremely bad for the environment. If you are happy that millions of people will buy a new high tech watch every two years when an iPhone would have sufficed when many people bought one watch for life not long ago, go scream on the rooftops that you love pollution, that you love more mining, that you love waste etc. It's sad how much stuff people need to make them feel happy. God help us.

Take your bs elsewhere.

• Reply 37 of 341
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member

$2/hr is a lot over there.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

God?  Funny boy.

• Reply 38 of 341
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Everyone should be afraid of Apple. It's been the most disruptive company in history when it comes to business and changing our lives. Even without Jobs at the helm back in the late 80s and the early 90s. Sure, it lacked the magic then, the person to refine and say yes and no to projects...

We just won't know about the watch and what impact it has.

However, to most people:

1. It is too expensive (bang for the buck - just an iPhone extension (which HAS its advantages).

2. The watch doesn't do much.

3. Not worth the expense over a regular watch

4. Who really wants to get their messages and emails and alerts constantly. When you put your phone in your pocket, it's kind of gone into information hibernation and we get a short break. 

5. Again, its too expensive and Apple is nickel and diming people over the increase in size by $50.

Of course, if Steve were running the show, there would be exactly one watch. It would probably be black (maybe a white one). And he wouldn't be calling into Cramer's Mad Money show (desperation, Tim?). Or doing some cheesy announcement at the Apple event recently. Or wouldn't be talking up the digital crown so much then not talking about it.

Anyway, Steve was the magician. He was mythological in a very true sense. He was the "hero with a thousand faces" (Joseph Campbell).

So, we will see what happens. I will buy and Apple Watch when it runs a week on a charge, doesn't need an iPhone for many tasks (GPS????) and costs maybe a little less.

Right now, the watch is a vanity project. To me, at least.

• Reply 39 of 341

For now but Apple is basically riding on the iPhone wave and the huge profits are basically tat they convinced people they needed a bigger phone. Now they come out with a $349-$17000 iPhone accessory and a $1200 Apple Macbook that is effectively a netbook. Apple truly needs to innovate to remain relevant. The profits will only flow as long as they are seen as superior and that time is definitely coming to a close at this pace of innovation. Its about profit not innovation.

• Reply 40 of 341
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

Being able to replace the internals of a $349 watch isn't so important.  But it's a different story when the watch costs north of $10,000.  Isn't that obvious?

For the demographic of those buying the $349 vs the $10K+ watch, it is more important to those buying the watch for $349 that the internals are upgradable.