Who's afraid of the Apple Watch?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 341
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

"Hand polished" by a kid at Foxconn earning $2 per hour. Ah that explains the price difference then.

That 18year old kid making $2/hr is laughing all the way to the bank, while you have no idea of different purchasing power around the world.  

• Reply 42 of 341
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

My head bows to Apple to bring respect to the next generation wrist(watch) device that in near future will function like star-track gadgets or say in Criminal-Mind TV series, how FBI agent Mr. Hotchner uses his wrist watch device to communicate with his team in close combat/call near criminal's location. We all need to support such genius efforts and bury down 20 feet in ground those who uselessly criticize Apple's efforts to do unthinkable. I will/am the early adopter/buyer of apple watch. Hallelujah !!

• Reply 43 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Everyone should be afraid of Apple. It's been the most disruptive company in history when it comes to business and changing our lives. Even without Jobs at the helm back in the late 80s and the early 90s. Sure, it lacked the magic then, the person to refine and say yes and no to projects...

We just won't know about the watch and what impact it has.

However, to most people:

1. It is too expensive (bang for the buck - just an iPhone extension (which HAS its advantages).

2. The watch doesn't do much.

3. Not worth the expense over a regular watch

4. Who really wants to get their messages and emails and alerts constantly. When you put your phone in your pocket, it's kind of gone into information hibernation and we get a short break. 

5. Again, its too expensive and Apple is nickel and diming people over the increase in size by $50.

Of course, if Steve were running the show, there would be exactly one watch. It would probably be black (maybe a white one). And he wouldn't be calling into Cramer's Mad Money show (desperation, Tim?). Or doing some cheesy announcement at the Apple event recently. Or wouldn't be talking up the digital crown so much then not talking about it.

Anyway, Steve was the magician. He was mythological in a very true sense. He was the "hero with a thousand faces" (Joseph Campbell).

So, we will see what happens. I will buy and Apple Watch when it runs a week on a charge, doesn't need an iPhone for many tasks (GPS????) and costs maybe a little less.

Right now, the watch is a vanity project. To me, at least.

OH PLEASE. Do not associate your thoughts with MOST people.

1) The watch is actually quite cheap, and has a price range for most people, a lot cheaper than the watch I currently have that's in the drawer most of the time.

2) Does more than my Tag Heuer.

3) A regular watch can cost $5 to $3million+.  Apple's price point is not out of this world.

4) No, we reach into our pockets and check right away, or check every xx minutes.  

5) Because you know the cost to build / distribute / market / sell / etc.? 

• Reply 44 of 341
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

4. Who really wants to get their messages and emails and alerts constantly. When you put your phone in your pocket, it's kind of gone into information hibernation and we get a short break. 

Amen. 

• Reply 46 of 341
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

"Hand polished" by a kid at Foxconn earning $2 per hour. Ah that explains the price difference theI live in

I immigrated and live in America so $2 means not much but go and check out other part of the world. In those places, thanks to whoever provides jobs where $2 is better than $0 or negative because if they don't earn that $2 one day then they have to borrow to live and support family,  now you are in negative. So, either send your savings or cut from your pay check to those making $2 or let them at lest make $2 to support their family. Some people in America, Europe, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait,  or similar wealthy nations have no idea of how people live in rest of the world.

• Reply 47 of 341
    Firstly, thank you, Daniel, for a highly entertaining article.

Your onslaught against Google I wholly agree with. May the iron be pressed hard until justice be done.

As to the Apple Watch: well, I'm afraid to say it, but it's the hardware equivalent of the I Am Rich app, only Apple have priced it at $9,999 instead of $999.

The Mac? Boom.
    The iPhone? BOOM.
    The iPad? Boom.

The Apple Watch? Fzzz…

If one has to encapsulate Jobs's genius in one word, it is 'vision'. He knew how to garner the resources at hand, but more importantly, he knew when to say "Yes" and when to say "No." Alas, there is no-one at Apple to harness Ive's genius and to focus his talent down the right, but very narrow, path.

That time may yet materialise. Until it does, we must endure the inevitable failure of the Apple Watch, and be blessed that we still have our wonderful Apple gadgets to wax lyrical with.

Here's to the crazy ones.
  • Reply 48 of 341

Talk about a waste of money.

• Reply 49 of 341

Tim Cook knows he isn't Steve Jobs. He has not once tried to imitate Steve. Tim Cook is Tim Cook, and frankly, Tim Cook's name will become a household name just like Steve Jobs.

• Reply 50 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That time may yet materialise. Until it does, we must endure the inevitable failure of the Apple Watch, and be blessed that we still have our wonderful Apple gadgets to wax lyrical with.

I'm sure you were lamenting the release of the iPad as well.

• Reply 51 of 341
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Remember the watch industry exactly as it is today.

It's going to look a whole lot different.

It too, now belongs to Apple.
    I agree. As I said in a previous thread Apple is in the process of re-defining (I know it is a cliche but this time it is the truth) of what a watch is. From now on the traditional Swiss mechanical pocket watch belongs in a collectors drawer along with the pocket watch.
  • Reply 52 of 341
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I thought the iPhone would be a winner, the iPad a winner but the watch is a complete joke, and will rightly be ridiculed off the wrist of the wearer unless it literally is truly helping them with some kind of medical condition, and even then most people will question why they needed to splash out so much on the watch.

If they are questioning why they needed to then that would mean they bought one. And at $349 it's hardly the end of the world for those interested. The more obvious argument against the watch as a truly handy do-small-tasks-with-total-convenience is that some people simply hate wearing things on their wrist. I am firmly one of those people. I will never be in the market for an ?Watch, or any watch.

BUT.... aside from those people, of which I'm one, the ?Watch is a beautiful and brilliant product. It doesn't take much imagination to see how convenient a wrist-worn connected gadget could become in this world over the next two decades. Everything from paying for anything from a beer to a meal to a movie ticket, to unlocking your car or house, to playing music, to automatically controlling your heating and lighting, to asking 'the sky' (Siri) practically any question you could imagine directly from your wrist without the need to even remove your phone from your pocket is the future.

• Reply 53 of 341
    rebe1 wrote: »

I'm sure you were lamenting the release of the iPad as well.

I received the original iPad the day before it was released in the shops.????

For the record, I was skeptical about the iPhone and thought the iPad would be huge.

So 50%.
  • Reply 54 of 341
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

As to the Apple Watch: well, I'm afraid to say it, but it's the hardware equivalent of the I Am Rich app, only Apple have priced it at $9,999 instead of $999.

Be sure to ignore the $349 and $549 models. This will strengthen your point.

• Reply 55 of 341
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rebe1 View Post

That 18year old kid making $2/hr is laughing all the way to the bank, while you have no idea of different purchasing power around the world.  

Sure I do. It would take the kid around 1.5 hours of polishing to earn enough money to buy a Big Mac. While the average American worker could earn one in 12 minutes...

• Reply 56 of 341
    yikes, what a bitter tirade.

p.s. hire a proof reader, apple insider, the spelling and grammar mistakes in this piece are atrocious.
  • Reply 57 of 341
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

By all means buy what you want and enjoy it, but the watch is fake ugly and extremely bad for the environment. If you are happy that millions of people will buy a new high tech watch every two years when an iPhone would have sufficed when many people bought one watch for life not long ago, go scream on the rooftops that you love pollution, that you love more mining, that you love waste etc. It's sad how much stuff people need to make them feel happy. God help us.

By all means say what you want about the watch, it's your own mouth and your own ugliness and all that. We don't care if you want to go scream on the rooftops, but do it on your own. I wish with all my heart, God will help you, pity old man.

• Reply 58 of 341
    superdxsuperdx Posts: 67member

I don't disagree with the article much, but Google's effect on businesses is real. Ads aren't the only thing it sells, and totally share the opinion that most of them are useless. The real money is in rankings. Being on page 1 of a Google search result is life and death these days for most enterprises, and scamming social reviews (Yelp, Google Maps, others) can mean the end of even traditional businesses like restaurants. Google does put out some craptacular products, but Apple needs to be measured against Apple. There's really no point comparing one to another. 

I'm hoping the Watch does well. I'm planning to buy one myself. Let's just hope that it can move quantities equal to the Apple TV, which is a simple but pretty awesome product. 

• Reply 59 of 341
    dasanman69 wrote: »

[iPhones are] subsidized ....

Oh c'mon. You're smarter than that.
  • Reply 60 of 341
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Sure I do. It would take the kid around 1.5 hours of polishing to earn enough money to buy a Big Mac. While the average American worker could earn one in 12 minutes...

Unlike you, not everyone aspires to consume a Big Mac.