Who's afraid of the Apple Watch?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 341
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

i have no idea if the watch will work ,but all the info from people signing up for medical research could in fact be amazing...

at min this could be the first stage's of a watch that is more then that - in the same way the iphone was just not a phone.

If it can evolve into a device in later versions that changes the medical industry and helps us that would be pretty amazing ..the idea that your doctor can see your health without you coming into the office sounds brilliant.

• Reply 102 of 341
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

if apple makes self driving cars and electric...it could take the company to beyond in share price ..we have no idea how far down the line they are in perfecting a self driving car.....i love tesla but i do expect apple with its monies and resource should be able to match or beat them in the long run...the gas cars will fall over for sure..the business model alone makes no sense.

• Reply 103 of 341
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Being able to replace the internals of a $349 watch isn't so important.  But it's a different story when the watch costs north of $10,000.  Isn't that obvious?

Only if you can't afford a $10,000+ watch in the first place.

People who can afford to spend money on luxuries like that, most likely don't think twice about whether their new toy will last more than a year, nor even whether they will lose interest in it in a month.

The gold in the watch likely only amounts to less than $2,000. The price tag is for the privilege of paying for Apple's new product crafted in 18k gold, and being one of the few to own one. It's the price of exclusivity. Isn't THAT obvious?
  • Reply 104 of 341
    This article started out being about who's afraid of Apple Watch then went way off into left field about Google's lack of worker rights. This author would benefit from learning how to write concise, focused articles. Anyone can drivel on mindlessly. .
    It's not an article, it's an editorial. An extremely biased one.
  • Reply 105 of 341
    chadbag wrote: »
    It is cheaper to buy the phone through AT&T Next over the life of the 2 year contract, if you have 10gb plan or higher, than it is with a subsidized phone. With lesser data it is about a wash. I suspect Verizon has similar price points and plans.

It depends. I have a now discontinued Verizon plan, which gives me no discount for owning my phone or buying it through them. Single line users get ripped off with the quick upgrade plans. In my case, though, they gave me $200 for my iPhone 4, enabling me to get the 64GB 6 for $100 up front, rather than $749 up front. For me, it simply worked out better, and if I'm not mistaken it was cheaper in the end.
  • Reply 106 of 341
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Who invited the trolls? **** off!

> Phony bologna that cheapskate charlatan "journalists" inhale and regurgitate without any apparent sentience, like PR piranhas that will gobble up anything once somebody else has taken a bite. <

Your keyboard's on fire, Dan! Great work
  • Reply 107 of 341
    So to summarize... Apple is awesome, Google is the worst, and he doesn't like Coke (Pepsi fan maybe?)
  • Reply 108 of 341
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Companies like Cartier dissing the Apple Watch as something they aren't worried about because it's sure to fail strike me as companies that are worried because in all likelihood, it won't.
  • Reply 109 of 341
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    When did Apple say ?Watch Edition was assembled in China? The only thing we know is in the gold video Jony Ive said the Edition watch is hand polished by fine watch artisans. For all we know ?Watch Edition is not assembled in China and that might factor into its price tag. I'm not aware of fine watch artisans at Apple's contract factories in China.
  • Reply 110 of 341
    charlituna wrote: »
    Companies like Cartier dissing the Apple Watch as something they aren't worried about because it's sure to fail strike me as companies that are worried because in all likelihood, it won't.
    Until Apple makes a watch line as diverse as this, Cartier is in no immediate danger of going out of business.

• Reply 111 of 341
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Great article by the way, a little over the top but great nevertheless. One thing that should be pointed out is that the Apple Watch is a sign of Apple blasting into the fashion industry. I know this might be obvious or even argued, but it shows that there will be more fashion based technology expected from Apple and a new form of identity, as seen by the Apple logo ahead of the product name.

An off topic note: it seems that Samsung has been going through Apple's patent applications and anticipating technology. Samsung's 3D headset apes an Apple patent from 2008. I wonder if there were some watch hints that Samsung picked up on.
  • Reply 112 of 341
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Until Apple makes a watch line as diverse as this, Cartier is in no immediate danger of going out of business.

Funny how you chose to pick the least representative of the Apple Watch and the best of Cartier. Even then, those Cartiers are butt-ugly! What were they thinking?!
  • Reply 113 of 341
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's subsidized plus has tons more features. The resale value is also higher because it comes with limited color options.

Do you know what you're talking about?. Yes, subsidized, but a better term is a short term loan. You are in fact paying for that phone, even more then the original cost in many cases in the 2 years you're under contract. You're getting nothing for free. You're not even getting a discount. The watch has a ton of features and the list is growing for a new product that hasn't been released yet. Who knows what the resale of Apple watch market will be, but I'm sure far better then the Android market which is a dime a dozen.
  • Reply 114 of 341
    I enjoyed reading this. Thank you for writing it. Apple's story is fascinating to me. I love reading about it.
  • Reply 115 of 341
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Funny how you chose to pick the least representative of the Apple Watch and the best of Cartier. Even then, those Cartiers are butt-ugly! What were they thinking?!

Those are ugly watches, and who says Apple has to make a zillion different watches that only so a single thing, tell time. Besides you can have a number of different watch faces on the Apple Watch. If you're going too limit yourself too wearing one thing, is it a limited watch, our a watch and a lot more ask in one? I think some people just don't get it.
  • Reply 116 of 341
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Those are ugly watches ... I think some people just don't get it.
    Yup, and it just might be you.
  • Reply 117 of 341
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    mac_128 wrote: »

One might think. But companies don't waste time on competition they aren't concerned about. It's beneath them. They just ignore those little folks.

So if Cartier was so unconcerned they would say nothing aside from perhaps "we are not concerned" or maybe "we are in a different market"
  • Reply 118 of 341
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Looks like the Samsung or Nokia phone lineup before iPhone hit.

• Reply 119 of 341
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Looks like the Samsung or Nokia phone lineup before iPhone hit.

I thought the same thing, but only about Nokia. In fact, I just looking up photos of Nokia phones to post.

• Reply 120 of 341
    How long before it will be able to detect serious medical emergencies like heart attack, stroke, epileptic seizure, and contact local emergency services.

How long before it books a visit to your doctor because your vital signs indicate a checkup is needed.

People are seriously underestimating the appeal of a health checker.

When they nail blood pressure, who won't wear one.