Chip prices: G4 vs. Pentium

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone have information on chip prices, like Pentium, Athlon, G4, G3, etc.?

I'm thinking the G4 would be cheaper than the Pentium, and the G3 cheaper than the G4, but I don't know for sure.

What factors determine a chip's cost? Die size?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    <a href="http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC7455&nodeId=03M9430304504 67M98653#orderables" target="_blank">G4 Prices</a>

Die Size plays a huge part as well as yield.

G4's are not much more expensive than G3's although the rumor has persisted that somehow putting a G3 in a computer will drastically lower the cost.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    digixdigix Posts: 109member
    An extra note, since Apple is a big customers in buying PPC chips and one of the party responsible for the creation of the PPC chips, I think that Apple got a very big discount when they bought PPC chips. I don't know the exact discount that Apple got, but a few years ago, I heard that might even go so far of over 75%?

So... Maybe a U$160 chip only cost Apple around U$40 or even less?

Note: When one could buy chips as cheap as these, I think that it would take quit a heavy measure for Apple to switch from PPC to something else for their main chips in their main products.

As for die size.

Yes. it's quite an important factor. I think that at one time, Apple (and Motorola) once showed to the public, a comparison of how many PPC chips they could made in a single wafer, incomparison of x86 chip.