Exclusive March aerial tour of Apple Inc's Campus 2 shows 'Spaceship' Ring, tunnel, theater progress

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    We had a discussion about the distance from the parking to the main office a while back on AI and I had wondered if there would be a moving walkway or Disney-esque tram but the consensus was 'walking was healthy'.

And here is the proof (like we didn't know already)

Why The Greatest Minds Take Long Walks
  • Reply 22 of 33
    benjamin frost 03/16/2015 04:55 AM - "Looking good. Enjoyed the music."

My thought while watching the video was that a video of one of the most advanced technology campuses on earth should have more dynamic, up to the minute music. The music on the video was canned, insipid yuuuuck.

To me.

I guess this is why they make chocolate and vanilla.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Gosh. The older building was cosy. Most iphone and os X Devs were in one building as was/is johnny Ive.

The new building - well people could spend their days walking to meetings.

Not so.

The problem is that there is no "older building" in the singular sense. There's 1 Infinite Loop and a ton of satellite offices, and people spend their days driving around Cupertino getting from one satellite office to another for meetings. Seriously, there's the main campus, there's the De Anza offices they rent out, Tantau Ave., etc.

• Reply 24 of 33
    This great ring is truly precious. I can see the power of Cupertino binding and ruling the tech lands for all eternity from this unassailable fortress. All will love Apple and despair.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    I trust Apple will be building a Watchtower.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    kentallard wrote: »
    benjamin frost 03/16/2015 04:55 AM - "Looking good. Enjoyed the music."

My thought while watching the video was that a video of one of the most advanced technology campuses on earth should have more dynamic, up to the minute music. The music on the video was canned, insipid yuuuuck.

To me.

I guess this is why they make chocolate and vanilla.

I've got news for you: I like chocolate AND vanilla.

I hope your head doesn't explode with that cataclysmic revelation.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    For all those wondering about how to get from the solar-tree roofed garage to the solar roofed main building, they have things called bicycles, if walking is too much.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member
    Quote:

By the time Campus 2 is finished, Apple will have run out of office space again ... I suspect that something else is already in the planning stages!

No worries at all about this.  After a short while in SpaceShip Campus, Tim Cook and the senior leadership team will evolve into Pure Energy.

They won't need space then.

• Reply 29 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Makes a lot of sense to finish the parking structure first because once the main first floor deck is complete there will likely be double the amount of people on the job and they are going to need someplace to park.

• Reply 30 of 33
    aelegg wrote: »
    By the time Campus 2 is finished, Apple will have run out of office space again ... I suspect that something else is already in the planning stages!

No worries at all about this.  After a short while in SpaceShip Campus, Tim Cook and the senior leadership team will evolve into Pure Energy.

They won't need space then.

They'll still need punters, though.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I get the impression that TC and the executive team will be in Campus 2, however.

I get the opposite impression. My gut feeling is that Tim Cook and almost all of his direct reports will be based out of Infinite Loop which will remain the official corporate headquarters. That campus is in very close proximity to the original buildings that Apple occupied in its earliest years (Bandley Drive and Mariani Avenue).

Plus, the new complex is called "Campus 2" not "Campus 1." Campus 2 has been described as an engineering campus. ISubmittal 6 to the city of Cupertino, Apple states:

Quote:
    "While Apple Campus 2 will be Apple’s center for research and development, 1 Infinite Loop will remain the primary location for visitors."

My assumption is that VP-level execs will stay with their individual divisions/groups. There will probably be several people who have offices at both locations, specifically the three engineering Senior VPs (Cue, Federighi, Riccio), maybe Cook, Ive, Williams. I'm guessing that there will be a handful of executive suites (hoteling desks) for other senior execs who might need a workspace for the day.

Corporate will be based out of 1 Infinite Loop: finance, legal, corporate marketing/PR, corporate retail, HR, the real estate team, corporate operations.

• Reply 32 of 33
    Hope FAA doesn't charge you for using the drone "commercially"
  • Reply 33 of 33
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Is the roof going to be solar panels? The black roof looks amazing in the rendering, and I hope the finished building looks just as amazing.

I think so. Here's the first parking garage from a month ago.