Adobe reveals Document Cloud, Acrobat DC with e-signing, photo PDF conversion, more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Adobe on Tuesday unveiled Document Cloud, an all-encompassing digital document management solution that includes a new touch-enabled version of Acrobat and two iOS-specific apps.

Source: Adobe

Set to launch in April, Document Cloud can be thought of as a central hub for a user's document creation and management needs.

Acrobat DC is a major facet of Document Cloud and has been completely redesigned with mobile applications in mind. Adobe says the new Acrobat DC is packed full of new features to help process and manage PDF documents, as well as touchscreen support and a fresh layout.

Unlike past mobile Acrobat software that shipped with limited functionality, the upcoming Acrobat Mobile will be a full-featured, touch-enabled app with a variety of powerful tools. As an example, a new feature uses Photoshop technology to convert pictures taken with an iPhone into a PDF file that can be edited, signed and even automatically filled with a user's personal information.

Digital signatures are getting special treatment, as Adobe is launching a tool called Sign Services -- formerly Echo Sign -- that lets users track a document as it is passed along for multiple signatures. In addition, users can turn to a new mobile app called Fill & Sign to sign documents with a stylus or finger.

Wrapped in Document Cloud, Acrobat relies on Mobile Link to sync across platforms -- desktop, mobile and Web -- to keep information up to date.

Adobe Acrobat DC and Document Cloud will ship in April. Users can sign up for current versions of Acrobat XI Pro for $14.99 per month, or Acrobat XI Standard for $12.99 per month, each of which will be automatically upgraded to Acrobat DC when it becomes available. Adobe is also planning to offer Acrobat DC as a one-time purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Useless. Most corporate users I know don't even know how to properly annotate a pdf let alone digitally sign it.

• Reply 2 of 12
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    The most common use of editable PDF is not digital signatures. (Not to be confused with being able to sign your name on a form.)

Adobe should focus on adding these two features that people have been begging-for for years: Allow images to be inserted in editable PDFs (i.e in insert image form element) and allow on screen signatures using the touch screen. (Sign/touch signature form element.)

It would dramatically widen the uses of PDF in business and consumer spaces. (Most businesses are simply not technical enough to use the digital signing technology.)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Monthly subscription, I'll pass.

• Reply 4 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mstone wrote: »
    Useless. Most corporate users I know don't even know how to properly annotate a pdf let alone digitally sign it.

I hope Adobe can make electronic signing more understood. The cost of this seems a little high but not that far off many current digital signing systems such as Docusign or similar, used by many Realtors these days that I come across.

My wife is a realtor and I run her Docusign system for her and it has been extremely frustrating at times . It is quite amazing how many people cannot understand how to simply click through a document to sign it digitally even with clear instructions. Many simply print it out, fill it in by hand and fax it back! The part that seems to totally go over so many heads is the concept that they are accessing a document on a server / cloud and once completed it's done. They seem fixated on the need to download and return it.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

Perhaps this will be yet another benefit of my Creative Cloud subscription which includes Acrobat XI Pro.

• Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ECats View Post

The most common use of editable PDF is not digital signatures. (Not to be confused with being able to sign your name on a form.)

Adobe should focus on adding these two features that people have been begging-for for years: Allow images to be inserted in editable PDFs (i.e in insert image form element) and allow on screen signatures using the touch screen. (Sign/touch signature form element.)

It would dramatically widen the uses of PDF in business and consumer spaces. (Most businesses are simply not technical enough to use the digital signing technology.)

I scanned my signature and initials into a "stamp" in Acrobat Pro, but you are right, most people don't know how to use the stamp feature.  If Adobe could add a "Doodle" feature for signature, it would be great.

• Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

The ability to insert an image into a field has been in Acrobat for many years, but was already introduced in Reader with Reader XI.   (you just need a single line of JavaScript on the field)

Scribble signatures are indeed one of the many features being introduced with Acrobat DC, in addition to using the camera, uploading images, etc.

• Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

If all you want is the desktop software, then you can continue to purchase it.  However, if you want the full Document Cloud experience with cloud services, desktop and mobile clients, will you need a subscription.

• Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Perhaps this will be yet another benefit of my Creative Cloud subscription which includes Acrobat XI Pro.

Yes, Creative Cloud subscription customers will also get access to the Document Cloud (and its clients) when it releases in April. 

• Reply 10 of 12
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

It's a bit unfair to expect a hosted document solution to be billed one-time for perpetual usage. They are providing infrastructure and maintenance of servers & software to keep the system working. I don't think other notable document signature processing services offer a one-time purchase model.

• Reply 11 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Echo Sign is so unintuitive. HelloSign is better and more user friendly.

Somebody needs to make a simpler way to sign pdf documents. Perhaps this new Sign Services is better.

• Reply 12 of 12
    I wonder how many times a week I'll have to update this?