MacID Touch ID login for Mac free for limited time, Airbnb and Target iPhone apps updated

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
The Touch ID-based cross-platform Mac unlocking tool MacID has been updated to version 1.1, temporarily going free for a limited window, while Airbnb has added new conditional rules to its iPhone app, and Target has updated its iPhone shopping with new Store Search and customization options.

MacID goes free for 48 hours

Using a combination of iOS and Mac clients, MacID lets users lock or unlock a Mac from via Touch ID or passcode. To promote the latest release, developer Kane Cheshire has made the iOS app free for the next day. Typically the software would cost $4.

Some new features include proximity waking, which triggers an interactive notification whenever an iOS device is near, and a set of remote audio controls for iTunes and Spotify. Clipboards can be shared between iOS and OS X, and the interface now offers a split-screen view on the iPad and a landscape mode for iPhones.

In the Notification Center, a new widget can be used to unlock a device from anywhere in iOS. Users can also enable auto-lock notifications, or toggle how and where Tap to Unlock is accessible.

Other interface tweaks include a monochrome mode and the ability to swap the menu positions of Connected Devices.

Airbnb enables new conditional rules

The Airbnb iPhone app has gained the option to set narrow seasonal and weekend rules for a listing. For each rule, a person can assign a minimum number of nights, or a specific check-in day.

The app is a free download, and is designed for iPhones and iPods running iOS 7.0 or later.

Target for iPhone picks up Store Search

The Target iPhone app's new Store Search function lets users search any outlet to see a product's availability, aisle location, and reviews.

Elsewhere, browsing has been divided into Featured and Deals tabs, and access to the home location for favorite deals has been made easier. New account options include Touch ID sign-in and controls for editing payment methods and shipping addresses.

Target's separate iPad app has not been similarly updated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

Why is MacID for OS X not available on the App Store? Can't find it, only MacID for iOS.

• Reply 2 of 26
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Why is MacID for OS X not available on the App Store? Can't find it, only MacID for iOS.

It's to get you to liking the program, then for version 1.2, you have to pay to get it.

• Reply 3 of 26
    MacID is yet another app that makes the Apple Watch redundant.

You can now automatically lock your Mac with this app on your iPhone or iPad if you wander away from your Mac. This was something that Solip was pining for on the Apple Watch. His wish has now been granted on the iPhone, which makes sense, as this feature would kill the battery on the watch double-quick.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    In addition to MacID, there are 7 other apps that are free for a limited time.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/8-awesome-paid-iphone-apps-free-limited-time-144134435.html

To get the OS X version go to:

http://macid.co/get/
  • Reply 5 of 26
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

It's to get you to liking the program, then for version 1.2, you have to pay to get it.

No, it isn't. You get the companion app, MacID for OS X, from the developer's website: http://macid.co/get

It is free. You pay for the iOS app (unless you get it now while it's free), and you get the OS X app for free because it's a required bit of the software.

• Reply 6 of 26
  • Reply 7 of 26
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You can now automatically lock your Mac with this app on your iPhone or iPad if you wander away from your Mac. This was something that Solip was pining for on the Apple Watch. His wish has now been granted on the iPhone, which makes sense, as this feature would kill the battery on the watch double-quick.

Its really unbelivable, the troll melt you have undergone.

The AppleWatch is the ultimate iPhone accessory. Every mundane, repetitive task that is conquered by a glance at the wrist is a win for AppleWatch usability.

• Reply 8 of 26
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

This is pretty much how I believe (in my opinion) that Touch ID login on Mac should work anyway. I believe its an incredible waste of effort to build Touch ID hardware into Macs, or trackpads, or the mouse. You already have your iPhone setup for Touch ID, it already pairs to your Mac without effort....build this in to the OS and done. If you want Touch ID authentication, you authenticate on your iPhone or AppleWatch and you're done.

I really, really don't see the need to take it further than that. And no I don't consider the "what if you don't have an iPhone" argument to be valid. Get an iPhone already.

• Reply 9 of 26
    technotechno Posts: 737member

Someone help me here. I have set it up and I am confused. I know it has automatic lock when you walk away from your mac, with your iOS device. That is handy.

However, isn't it supposed to do the reverse too? I walk up to my locked iMac and it takes 3-5 seconds before an alert comes pops up on my phone. I am then required to swipe the notification which brings up a touch ID passcode screen. I put my thumb on and then 2-3 seconds later it unlocks my iMac. The whole process takes a lot of action and about 10-15 seconds. How does this help? In less than 5 seconds I could have put my iMac password in manually and started working.

• Reply 10 of 26
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Do I trust an app that unlocks my Mac... if it's not vetted by Apple and available on the App Store?

In a word: No.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is pretty much how I believe (in my opinion) that Touch ID login on Mac should work anyway. I believe its an incredible waste of effort to build Touch ID hardware into Macs, or trackpads, or the mouse. You already have your iPhone setup for Touch ID, it already pairs to your Mac without effort....build this in to the OS and done. If you want Touch ID authentication, you authenticate on your iPhone or AppleWatch and you're done.

I really, really don't see the need to take it further than that. And no I don't consider the "what if you don't have an iPhone" argument to be valid. Get an iPhone already.

But some people don't have an iPhone.  Sorry you don't feel that this is a valid counterpoint, but I disagree.  A coworker of mine used the iPhone for years.  He avidly uses macs.  For some reason, he recently switched to a Samsung phone "He said he wanted the SD slot."  After a few months of use, I think he's considering a return from the dark side.  Apparently SD slot on crappy phone isn't so appealing.  Nevertheless, he does not currently have an iPhone.  TouchID in the mac couldn't be THAT expensive.  Or perhaps they can place in a peripheral such as magic mouse, etc.  In any case, having this would open up Apple Pay conveniences that he otherwise wouldn't have access to.  I think it's inevitable that Apple would widen their support for touch ID on their various computers, or peripherals that attach to those computers.

• Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Do I trust an app that unlocks my Mac... if it's not vetted by Apple and available on the App Store?

I doubt the iOS app could be very harmful.  I may be wrong, as I am only a fledgling developer, but my understanding is that Touch ID essentially just returns a Yes or No regarding proper validation via Touch ID.  On the MacOS side, I'm unsure what the app needs.  Presumably it would have access to your PIN or Password, and could theoretically send your specific machine IP, etc. to a remote location where this could be used to infiltrate your laptop or other Mac hardware.  However, I doubt MacID is run by the NSA, so you are probably safe.

• Reply 13 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Yeah, because a PAID 3rd party companion app that has to be installed on BOTH the Mac and the iOS device is the ultimate ideal, right? That will definitely catch on in a huge way, right?

You know what is redundant? Every single one of your posts. I find it insane how so many here can have you on their blocklists, and yet you still have the privilege of posting. There has to be a threshold, when being blacklisted by enough members gets you kicked out of here. 

• Reply 14 of 26
    technotechno Posts: 737member

This morning I installed Mac ID on my iMac and the companion app on my iPhone. I did not like it so uninstalled it from my phone. I noticed today that 1password is not syncing via wifi any longer. It can't find 1password running on the iMac.

I am just curious if there are any others out there that can test to see if Mac ID interferes with 1password. 

• Reply 15 of 26
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    techno wrote: »
    This morning I installed Mac ID on my iMac and the companion app on my iPhone. I did not like it so uninstalled it from my phone. I noticed today that 1password is not syncing via wifi any longer. It can't find 1password running on the iMac.

I am just curious if there are any others out there that can test to see if Mac ID interferes with 1password. 
    Doesn't seem to on my machine. The problems I was having with 1Password syncing was before I installed Mac ID.

Mac ID looks like a handy thing, but I never actually use it.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

I doubt the iOS app could be very harmful.  I may be wrong, as I am only a fledgling developer, but my understanding is that Touch ID essentially just returns a Yes or No regarding proper validation via Touch ID.  On the MacOS side, I'm unsure what the app needs.  Presumably it would have access to your PIN or Password, and could theoretically send your specific machine IP, etc. to a remote location where this could be used to infiltrate your laptop or other Mac hardware.  However, I doubt MacID is run by the NSA, so you are probably safe.

The OS X app is signed by the developer. It never connects to the internet. I run Little Snitch, and it has never reported MacID for OS X as needing to connect to the net.

• Reply 17 of 26
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Quote:

The problem with trolling is that your POV doesn't even make sense under even the most basic level of scrutiny.

This app has no bearing on the Apple Watch. If anything the Apple Watch could be utilised to make this software redundant. Suggesting the opposite is like saying the iPod makes the iPhone redundant because they both play music, clearly the device with more functionality is rendering the lesser defunct, not vice versa.

But it also seems that you're relying on the idea of a simple proximity check. MacID provides more than that, and indeed anyone handy with AppleScript can use the proximity of ANY bluetooth device to lock or unlock their mac. See here for the basic idea: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20091221173111783 (Code tweaking req. for Yosemite.)

On a side note the MacID promo is either over, or limited to certain AppStores.

• Reply 18 of 26
    likkielikkie Posts: 43member

Not free on the Australian app store, must be USA only :(

Was interested to try it out but not $5 worth.

• Reply 19 of 26
    It shows $3.99

I thought it was free on the US site
  • Reply 20 of 26
    not free when I checked, can someone ask the developer what's up? I've been using Knock for a year or so, it works relatively well.