Apple Watch band with modern buckle detailed in newly granted patent

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2015
With final Apple Watch details fleshed out earlier in March, patents for the device have started to show up at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, including a design published on Tuesday for what Apple calls the modern buckle band.

Apple Watch band patent (left) next to shipping product. | Sources: USPTO and Apple

Apple's modern buckle design is perhaps one of the more interesting Apple Watch strap options, as the metal clasp appears to be a traditional solid one-piece design, but is actually a two-piece closure that fits symmetrically on a user's wrist.

As seen in Apple's patent, simply titled "Band," the clasp itself is split laterally, with one section capable of adjustment using standard notches. A second corresponding part attaches itself to the adjustable section and clamps on with spring-loaded deployment, much like systems seen on traditional watch butterfly clasps.

Illustrations also reveal the band's pegs, which let users swap out straps using a pushbutton locking mechanism flanked by two magnets. According to Apple, the interchangeable bands are easy to take off and provide optimal stability when attached.

Strap specifics go unmentioned in the patent, but Apple already revealed Grenada leather will be the material of choice, interwoven with a layer of Vectran for strength and stretch resistance. Vectran is an advanced manufactured liquid crystal polymer fiber famously used by NASA in the Curiosity Mars Rover mission. Tethers made of the super strong material were applied in three bridle systems attached to the Sky Crane system that lowered Curiosity down to the Martian surface.

Overall, the design is simple compared to other more complex fastening solutions, suggesting the band will remain reliable even after extended use.

Like other design patents, Apple credits a number of inventors for coming up with the Watch band, including SVP of Design Jony Ive and veteran Jody Akana.

Those interested will be able to get their first look at Apple Watch and its accessory collection in Apple Stores around the world during a preview period that starts on April 10, the same day preorders start. Apple's first wearable is slated to go on sale two weeks later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    I like that style, but it's only on the 38mm, not on the 42.
  • Reply 2 of 15

Looks cool. Already wanna one of them. How much does it cost?

• Reply 3 of 15
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

I like that style, but it's only on the 38mm, not on the 42.

And it seems to make Edition cost $7,000 more than with the Sport band! 

• Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

And it seems to make Edition cost $7,000 more than with the Sport band! 

Yeah, it's funny how gold is more expensive than plastic (aka fluoroelastomer).

• Reply 5 of 15
    I want the pink one in 42 :(
  • Reply 6 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    All of the new bands are fantastic looking.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member

Yeah, it's funny how gold is more expensive than plastic (aka fluoroelastomer).

Super ridiculous! How can the band cost 70% of the edition watch itself? Doesn't make sense. I think Apples prices are reasonable except for this band.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

Super ridiculous! How can the band cost 70% of the edition watch itself? Doesn't make sense. I think Apples prices are reasonable except for this band.

this could help explain it...

http://www.cultofmac.com/315099/17000-gold-apple-watch-might-be-too-cheap/

I'm not saying I agree with the price tag, but I guess if your rich, you just want to show it off. The higher the price, the better. From a shareholder perspective....I hope they sell a ton of them!

• Reply 9 of 15
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    It's in credible how much thought, consideration and engineering Apple put into the bands themselves. As well as the manufacturing process of the actual watch.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Like already said - why this isn't in the 42 size?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    themacman wrote: »

1) You do realize that band has a shit load of gold in it right?

2) What do you think gold should cost?

3) I'm waiting for a volume and mass test for the gold casing so we can get a better idea of what their 18-karat gold composite, but perhaps they'll also figure out how much gold are in each of the bands (or perhaps we can estimate the gold bands based on their listed weights by accurately removing the leather bands.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by virtua View Post

Like already said - why this isn't in the 42 size?

Probably because it's geared toward women and Apple expects most women to buy the 38mm version. It's the opposite reason the leather loop band is offered only in 42mm, though I think more men will buy the 38mm Watch than women the 42mm version.

• Reply 13 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

Can you imagine then if the $17,000 gold watch came with a link option. Just looking at the high end gold watches available on the market, almost all of the most popular models have gold link bands. I'm guessing producing the same link band in gold would probably cost more than the gold in the watch itself, not to mention the 9 hours it takes to produce already. I'm guessing without the tech of the watch, they'd have to sell the gold link for at least $10K, or more? So what's wrong with a $20-22k watch? I mean once you hit $17K whats a few thousand more? I imagine a gold link is coming, perhaps the time it takes to make a link band backed them up so much ensuring the more popular stainless was ready they delayed the gold link from launch. Maybe they're just waiting to see how the $17k watch sells before they commit to such a substantial investment in gold.

• Reply 14 of 15
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    kpom wrote: »
    Probably because it's geared toward women and Apple expects most women to buy the 38mm version. It's the opposite reason the leather loop band is offered only in 42mm, though I think more men will buy the 38mm Watch than women the 42mm version.
    Well that would make sense except that a larger version in a different style is offered - so it's not about range numbers.....I think the other variation is naff though. And the fact you agree you also think like me that guys will go for that design. I'm thinking most guys will go for the larger watch and compromise on the strap design choice. 2 posts wanting that design with the larger watch here ????
  • Reply 15 of 15
    This band is probably going to cost 80 - 100 usd as well, a company named click might just fix that with an adaptor that lets you use any standard watch band - http://apple-watch-bands.info/click-band-adaptor-for-apple-watch/