New movie set photos show Michael Fassbender as NeXT-era Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Production continues on Sony's upcoming Steve Jobs biopic, and newly leaked set photos reveal some of what director Danny Boyle is currently filming at the San Francisco Opera House.

Source: Instagram user seannung

One image posted on Instagram shows a mock poster for the NeXT Computer, with actor Michael Fassbender posing as Jobs. NeXT was founded by Jobs after he was forced out of Apple in the mid-80s, suggesting that the Opera House shoot involves the computer's 1988 unveiling.

That debut actually took place across the street at the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall, but reports have indicated that shooting will ultimately be done at both locations. Work in that general vicinity is expected to wrap up by April.

Source: Instagram user raqu3l

Fassbender himself was spotted outside the Opera Hall, decked out in the white shirt and dress pants Jobs often sported during his NeXT years.

The movie is scheduled to hit theaters on Oct. 9, and apart from Fassbender also stars Jeff Daniels, Seth Rogen, and Kate Winslet. Academy Award-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin penned the film based on information from Walter Isaacson's 2011 biography of Jobs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46

Wow, he looks nothing like him. Add in the bad source material, and PASS.

• Reply 2 of 46
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Jeez, I hope his characterization can overcome the absolute lack of verisimilitude of his physical appearance. Maybe they'll fix this in post. ????
  • Reply 3 of 46
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member
    Looks like Michael Fassbender selling NEXT machines.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    WTF? He looks nothing like Jobs. Kind of hard to look past that. I'm sure they could have gotten Noah Wyle cheap
  • Reply 5 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

The only movie about Steve Jobs that I want to see is Pirates of Silicon Valley II: Electric Googleoo, starring Noah Wyle again.

Have it pick up with the design of the iMac and iPod, run up through the iPhone, and then just shot for shot repeat the scene from the first one. “YOU’RE STEALING FROM US?!

• Reply 6 of 46
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Are techies really so ignorant that they can't separate the appearance of an actor from the actual craft of (wait for it) ACTING?
    How about we wait and see what the performance is like people. Acting <> impersonation.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

I like him as an actor. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  Sure, he doesn't look like him but what does one expect?  It's his acting and ability to play Steve Jobs is what I'll be looking for.

• Reply 8 of 46
    aw hell naw! that guy ought to be playing Scully. /facepalm
  • Reply 9 of 46
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Why are we being subjected to yet another Jobs bio. The guy was a sells man. Woz did all the damn technical work in the early years. Woz actually created the first Apple at HP. A pc they rejected! He was the REAL WIZKID!
    But today it's all about God Steve. You Job zealots should be happy Woz doesn't step up and demand his props. That would really deflate the Jobs as Messiah ideal.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    maccherry wrote: »
    Why are we being subjected to yet another Jobs bio. The guy was a sells man. Woz did all the damn technical work in the early years. Woz actually created the first Apple at HP. A pc they rejected! He was the REAL WIZKID!
    But today it's all about God Steve. You Job zealots should be happy Woz doesn't step up and demand his props. That would really deflate the Jobs as Messiah ideal.

Woz would have ended up working at HP forever if it wasn't for Jobs. Woz also didn't contribute anything to the revival of Apple in the last decade and a half. Woz zealots are the really annoying ones.

I have no idea what a "sells man" is though.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Why do we need a Steve Jobs movie so close to his death. Maybe in 40 years for the sake of the next generation who didn't grow up with him like we did...
  • Reply 12 of 46
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I never thought I would miss Ashton Kutcher
  • Reply 13 of 46
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack Zahran View Post

Why do we need a Steve Jobs movie so close to his death. Maybe in 40 years for the sake of the next generation who didn't grow up with him like we did...

It's a story and some people want to hear/see it.

It's worth pointing out that a movie five years after his death is likely to be more factual than something written decades later, when key eyewitnesses are also deceased, archives thin out.

If the general movie-going audience doesn't want to hear this story, they will stay away from movie theaters. However, based on book sales, clearly the producers think there is some interest in this story.

If it doesn't interest you, that's fine. Go find something else that does. Watch some Greek tragedies, Shakespeare, Rossini operas, whatever. The world isn't just about you. Your personal interests aren't the only ones on this planet.

• Reply 14 of 46

I'm really looking forward to this movie. For some reason it seems like a genuine effort is being made to accurately convey Steve Jobs, particularly during some of the most poignant snapshots of his life. Of all the candidates that were selected, I think Fassbender has the best, or at least equal, chance of accurately portraying Steve Jobs. Fassbender has a great way of conveying quiet intensity, and I hope he is also able to convey the overt intensity that Steve Jobs was known show from time to time.*

I'm actually really looking forward to reading the new book that's coming out as well.

As much of an Apple fan as I am, I haven't felt compelled to watch any other Steve Jobs movies, or even read much of the Isaacson biography. I suppose it's because I don't want my perception of Jobs to be tainted be people who don't seem to get it. I'm not into hero worship, but Steve Jobs is clearly important enough, and complex enough, to deserve some genuinely thoughtful efforts, and it seems like we're finally getting them.

*Another thing that intrigues me about this movie is that of all the acclaimed work that Sorkin has done, he said in an interview that this is the first time he feels he actually got what was in his head into the script.

• Reply 15 of 46
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

You done slobbering all over your keyboard? 

"Demanding his props"? Woz has gotten filthy rich from his Apple shares, and has been living on them for the past couple decades. He's also mobbed by fans wherever he goes. Also, after Steve's death he'd often gone out of his way to "correct" films and claim it was actually HE who did X or Y, and has publically taken credit for many things. So enough of your revisionist history horse-shit. The modern Apple has absolutely nothing to do with Woz, and Woz has often come to bash pretty much all of Apple's decisions in the past decade, and shill for Android and "open"- he still has no clue what has made Apple successful, and stuck in his "hacker" mentality. But thank you for your incredible, never before seen insight.

Seriously, what else do you want? You're jealous of Jobs? The guy died early and painfully. Woz is alive and well, and has gotten insanely compensated for his relatively short time at Apple, with him being forever tied to Apple's current and future success, regardless of his zero contributions in the last 20 years- I'd say more than his due.  Not sure what the hell else you think Woz deserves. There are a million geeks like him, but not many were lucky enough to bump to someone like Jobs and make them an icon.

Oh, and next time try not to use words like "messiah", "zealot", and "sell man", they really don't help out your non-point. 

• Reply 16 of 46
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gqb wrote: »
    Are techies really so ignorant that they can't separate the appearance of an actor from the actual craft of (wait for it) ACTING?
    How about we wait and see what the performance is like people. Acting <> impersonation.

This.

In a big, BIG way.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    maccherry wrote: »
    Why are we being subjected to yet another Jobs bio. The guy was a sells man. Woz did all the damn technical work in the early years. Woz actually created the first Apple at HP. A pc they rejected!

So, by information provided in your own post, HP wasn't savvy enough to realise the PC would be revolutionary while Jobs did and you CRITICIZE him?

That makes sense.
  • Reply 18 of 46

If that is the case then they should have just gotten Denzel.

• Reply 19 of 46
    slurpy wrote: »
    ...he still has no clue what has made Apple successful

I don't know about that.

Wozniak seems to have learned the importance of focus.

See the contents of his backpack for proof.

????
  • Reply 20 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Should have been a Pixar production. They could have made a virtual Steve and probably even synthesized his voice. 

If they are telling the story of the history of Steve then they are going to have to make him appear aging. Why not just make him look like Steve while they are at it?