New movie set photos show Michael Fassbender as NeXT-era Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Should have been a Pixar production. They could have made a virtual Steve and probably even synthesized his voice. 

If they are telling the story of the history of Steve then they are going to have to make him appear aging. Why not just make him look like Steve while they are at it?

Not a bad idea at all since Steve helped pioneer Pixar! Doesn't have to be cartoony and could easily be more adult oriented.

As for the actors, they seem to just be representing Steve and Woz as actors and not the true characterization of the people they play. Makes no sense! Its like Brad Pitt playing Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything looking like himself in a wheelchair. Makes you wonder about Hollywood?!?

• Reply 22 of 46
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Makes me miss the NeXT days.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    gqb wrote: »
    Are techies really so ignorant that they can't separate the appearance of an actor from the actual craft of (wait for it) ACTING?
    How about we wait and see what the performance is like people. Acting <> impersonation.
    You are right, to a degree, but there are limits. When an actor's physical appearance is at too great a difference from a real person he is portraying that the audience has known in their lives, the "willing suspension of disbelief" can be broken. Not so with fictional characters, or real people from the distant past we know only from still pictures or paintings. I am both a techie and a retired acting teacher.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Several have wondered about why so many books and movies about Steve. Just as Apple products command so much attention because of the mystery and privacy that Apple cultivates as a part of its culture, so too the guy that lived that way. I believe that Steve took that obsession with secrecy from his personal life and applied it to his company. It's only natural that people want to know more about him, just as they can't get enough of his products. One of the most influential men of our times, who shunned publicity except on his terms when it benefitted him. Kind of Howard Hughes on steroids.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    sog35 wrote: »
    What next? Using a black person to play Jobs or a woman?

Hey, look!

Swan Lake without real swans and a lake:

Madame Butterfly but she's not really in Japan:

Shakespeare without swords!

Whaddya know! Everything DOES have to be authentic and exact to be successful!

I'm surprised that nobody hasn't complained that they guy playing Steve Jobs ISN'T ACTUALLY STEVE JOBS!

????
  • Reply 26 of 46
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I don't know about that.

Wozniak seems to have learned the importance of focus.

See the contents of his backpack for proof.

????

I hope that's not real. 
  • Reply 27 of 46
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    They passed on Danny DeVito?
  • Reply 28 of 46
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member

The original I'm presuming..

• Reply 29 of 46
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    slurpy wrote: »

http://gizmodo.com/5926598/the-amazing-contents-of-steve-wozniaks-travel-backpack

I must admit though.

He does understand that technology can definitely improve a person's quality of life.

• Reply 30 of 46
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    If Steve Jobs had looked like Michael Douglas, Fassbender would have been a great fit.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    maccherry wrote: »
    Why are we being subjected to yet another Jobs bio. The guy was a sells man. Woz did all the damn technical work in the early years. Woz actually created the first Apple at HP. A pc they rejected! He was the REAL WIZKID!
    But today it's all about God Steve. You Job zealots should be happy Woz doesn't step up and demand his props. That would really deflate the Jobs as Messiah ideal.

Go back to posting "engineers == gods" on Slashdot.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Woz was the wis kid in VERY beginning. Like Jobs or not, after the very beginning it was Steve Jobs who determined the fate of Apple. No other person comes close to deserving as much recognition, including Woz.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Wow, he looks nothing like him. Add in the bad source material, and PASS.

It's utterly bizarre. Everyone in the world knows what Jobs looked like. This is such a strange direction they're taking. I hope they like losing money.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    thrang wrote: »

Just one of the pictures. We had all sorts of media displays throughout Redwood City Chesapeake Drive Campus and across campuses. I'm assuming they are attempting to shoot on Stanford, San Fran and Redwood City.

The problem with doing the main campus is some idiot turned the front lawn where we played Volleyball into a piece of shit concrete block.

You didn't have to do a fucking thing to those buildings. Just move in and your company would be cool.

Oh and throw in some quality leather Italian furnishings, as the Kitchen was awesome, the glass doors everywhere with waist level frost looks and more made the place a dream spot for work.

It's now owned and run by http://www.oncomed.com/Overview.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oncomed+Pharmaceuticals,+Inc./@37.501094,-122.213143,218m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xc820d0695a8eef49

They turned 900 Chesapeake Dr over to a split office space [2nd Floor Support.com] and the adjoining 800 Chesapeake Dr into Oncomed.

Just sad.

We had Sega and others inside that complex.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Woz was the wis kid in VERY beginning. Like Jobs or not, after the very beginning it was Steve Jobs who determined the fate of Apple. No other person comes close to deserving as much recognition, including Woz.

Woz was done by 1986. NeXT was born and the reason Apple exists is solely with Steve and NeXT. Wozniak could look but not touch a goddamn thing around Cupertino when we merged. He doesn't know his head from his ass about advanced manufacturing to modern industrial design, etc.

He has lived off his name for decades.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

It doesn't matter how good this movie is might be, Fassbender looking so different from the character he's playing will severely effect the success (meaning lack of) that many are going to find it hard to take seriously.

• Reply 37 of 46
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Love Steve Jobs, but love the Woz too, and yes the innovations he made to produce the first two Apples were astounding.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only movie about Steve Jobs that I want to see is Pirates of Silicon Valley II: Electric Googleoo, starring Noah Wyle again.

+1 for the early AM "lol". Well played sir.

• Reply 39 of 46

Fassbender looks and sounds nothing like Steve Job. I know he is a great actor but they couldn't find anyone better?

• Reply 40 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    Fassbender looks and sounds nothing like Steve Job. I know he is a great actor but they couldn't find anyone better?

Fassbender is a fantastic actor, so the real issue is he neither looks nor is being made up to look like Jobs. There will probably be a lot of advance promotion addressing this fact by spinning the movie as "getting the attitude right" or some such nonsense.