MacID Touch ID login for Mac free for limited time, Airbnb and Target iPhone apps updated

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Shame - despite the title of the MacID article - "MacID goes free for 48 hours", less than 24 hours after the article posted, the app is no longer free. Would have loved to have been able to test this app. C'est la vie.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Even though the MacID article title says "MacID goes free for 48 hours", less than 24 hours after the article was posted, the app is indeed not free. I would have loved to be able to test the software. C'est la vie.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    roake wrote: »
    pmz wrote: »

This is pretty much how I believe (in my opinion) that Touch ID login on Mac should work anyway. I believe its an incredible waste of effort to build Touch ID hardware into Macs, or trackpads, or the mouse. You already have your iPhone setup for Touch ID, it already pairs to your Mac without effort....build this in to the OS and done. If you want Touch ID authentication, you authenticate on your iPhone or AppleWatch and you're done.
    I really, really don't see the need to take it further than that. And no I don't consider the "what if you don't have an iPhone" argument to be valid. Get an iPhone already.

But some people don't have an iPhone.  Sorry you don't feel that this is a valid counterpoint, but I disagree.  A coworker of mine used the iPhone for years.  He avidly uses macs.  For some reason, he recently switched to a Samsung phone "He said he wanted the SD slot."  After a few months of use, I think he's considering a return from the dark side.  Apparently SD slot on crappy phone isn't so appealing.  Nevertheless, he does not currently have an iPhone.  TouchID in the mac couldn't be THAT expensive.  Or perhaps they can place in a peripheral such as magic mouse, etc.  In any case, having this would open up Apple Pay conveniences that he otherwise wouldn't have access to.  I think it's inevitable that Apple would widen their support for touch ID on their various computers, or peripherals that attach to those computers.

It hasn't been mentioned, but a lot of folks forget about the iPodTouch which may function in this respect as well as an iPhone... Your friend's problem shows off how important it is to stay within the Apple ecosystem. It also shows how Apple is starting to stitch the ecosystem with more reasons to not stray...
  • Reply 24 of 26
    MacID free for 48 hours? I checked last night and this morning and all I see is $3.00 charge. I'd like to try it out.
  • Reply 25 of 26

Same here.  I tried last night and this morning. $3.99 each time.