B&H Photo's Manhattan superstore opens prestigious Apple-authorized mini-store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
This week, B&H Photo Video's Midtown Manhattan superstore became the first of its kind to have an Apple-sanctioned store-within-a-store, showcasing the electronics maker's full lineup of Macs, iPads, Beats and accessories in Apple's familiar retail style.

The new section of the B&H store, located at the corner of 9th Avenue and West 34th Street in Manhattan, is much like the Apple-authorized mini-stores located at various Best Buy outlets around the U.S.

But the B&H Apple mini-store is the first in its class, as the professional multimedia seller based in New York City has just one retail location.

The new Apple section of the B&H store features Apple's iconic wooden tables, with one showcasing the full Mac lineup, including the new 13-inch MacBook with Force Touch trackpad. Another table showcases Apple's iPod and iPad lineups, as well as Beats headphones.

In between the two tables are large, lighted advertisements for some of Apple's latest products. On one side it showcases the new iMac with 5K Retina display, while the other features the iPad Air 2.

Also in this center space, B&H offers the remainder of its Apple product lineup, including iPad Smart Covers, the Apple TV, and an HDTV showcasing the capabilities of the streaming set-top box.

The new Apple-approved store-within-a-store only serves to spotlight the close relationship B&H has with Apple as a certified authorized reseller of the company's products. No other reseller in the country, aside from mega-retailer Best Buy, has a similar deal with the Cupertino company. It's also the first time we've heard of a single-store, independant retailer (not a chain) receiving such treatment.

And the Apple mini-store also serves to help the company's products stand out from the wide array of other devices, including Windows-based PCs, sold at the B&H Manhattan superstore.

B&H has been the go-to place for professional-grade gadgetry for the last four decades, emanating from a veritable technology treasure trove in the heart of New York City. It has been open since 1973, and housed at its current spot since 1997, now joined by a major online presence.

As an authorized Apple reseller, B&H carries the company's full array of Macs, iPads, and compatible accessories. B&H frequently offers some of the lowest prices on brand-new Macs with Apple's own warranty coverage, and partners with AppleInsider to offer special discounts in our official Mac Price Guide.

B&H's operations stand out so much that the company has entertained visits from some of Apple's top executives, who have come by to see the retailer's Manhattan location.

The inclusion of the new Apple store-within-a-store makes the B&H superstore a one-stop-shop for professionals who need high-end gear. After visiting the Apple store, professionals can move on to the many other industries B&H serves, including audio and video production.

A haven for professionals, prosumers, and average consumers alike, the B&H SuperStore is jam packed with the latest gadgets and a wide variety of items you can't get anywhere else. It's like Willy Wonka's factory -- quite literally, in fact, as orders zip around above you on automated conveyor belts.

At this prime location, B&H not only has the consumer-facing mega-shop, but it also runs the company's massive operations, which extend to the website at bhphotovideo.com and include more than 1,500 employees.

One key aspect that makes the B&H SuperStore so special is the ability to get your hands on and test out the latest gadgets. Take, for example, the sound-proof microphone room, where an array of 60 mics can be plugged in and tested live before you make your purchase.

There's also a dedicated speaker room, complete with touchscreen interface, allowing users to sample the sounds of their intended purchase. There's even a full-fledged television studio on site, where professionals can try out high-end cameras and other studio-grade equipment. These kinds of opportunities give customers confidence in their investment before they buy.

Hands-on opportunities also extend to free events, where B&H brings in camera professionals to give users tutorials on how to get the best shots. Experts on specific brands, such as Nikon, Olympus and Sony, hold workshops in an upstairs classroom, and they're free to attend.

Photographers can also bring in their own camera or lens, and try out accessories and attachments with a professional. B&H officials pride themselves in giving customers the ability to become familiar with a product before they buy. These gadgets aren't locked behind glass or kept out of reach -- you're encouraged to play.

And whether you buy online or at the SuperStore, there's a relaxed 30-day return window, and customers aren't charged a restocking fee. Sales representatives at the store don't work on commission either, so there's no pressure to buy while you browse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    What are you talking about? The only reseller on the planet? We have bunch of these in Sweden, at for instance Elgiganten stores. Just like these.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    " No other reseller on the planet, aside from mega-retailer Best Buy, has a similar deal with the Cupertino company."

Uhmm, you might want to check out the Apple mini-stores at Yodobashi Camera in Japan. All three locations that I have visited there (at least the last time I was there a little over a year ago and I doubt anything has changed) have the same setup with the same "Apple" wooden tables, and real Apple employees to show you stuff... (in addition to the Yodobashi employees to make the actual transaction happen at the register).

When I was there last it was right after the Mac Pro had launched and was not really shipping yet and most Apple Stores in the US did not have them to touch, but I saw a couple at various Yodobashi Camera locations live and in the flesh while I was there.

So this is not as unique "on the planet" as AI might think.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Having lived near B&H for years I can tell you that visiting that store is a lousy experience. The crowds are absolutely insufferable.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    iPods!? Apple still makes those? You wouldn't know it!

:lol:
  • Reply 5 of 35
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Having lived near B&H for years I can tell you that visiting that store is a lousy experience. The crowds are absolutely insufferable.
    that is a shame. I use B&H but only online. I've always wanted to go. Probably my favorite kind of Hardware store.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

iPods!? Apple still makes those? You wouldn't know it!

My discontinued 160GB iPod classic lives in my car.

I occasionally take my iPod shuffle out with me when I'm just walking around. Easy way to conserve iPhone battery life. A drained iPod won't play music. A drained iPhone won't do anything. Better than former than the latter.

• Reply 7 of 35
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Oh man like that place wasn't already too dangerous to enter.

FAR too many wonderful things....

• Reply 8 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

I guess like packed Apple Stores, B&H is a victim of its own success?  I shop B&H online quite often for photography equipment/supplies.  It's a very, very, dangerous store for me to walk into.  I could definitely see myself going apesh!t in there.  Someday, I'd like to visit that store just to say I've been there.

I'm not sure why AI is stating the 3rd-party reseller thing being unique only to Best Buy.  I see similar set ups when I travel to Germany.  I don't get it.

• Reply 9 of 35
    Supposedly such a great partnership with Apple and yet B&H doesn't take ApplePay, but do accept Google Wallet. Or your regular credit card of course.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I guess like packed Apple Stores, B&H is a victim of its own success?  I shop B&H online quite often for photography equipment/supplies.  It's a very, very, dangerous store for me to walk into.  I could definitely see myself going apesh!t in there.  Someday, I'd like to visit that store just to say I've been there.

I'm not sure why AI is stating the 3rd-party reseller thing being unique only to Best Buy.  I see similar set ups when I travel to Germany.  I don't get it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Maybe should have said IN THE U.S.!!!  Is Best Buy anywhere else in the world?  I don't know.  Even Best Buy, the Apple section isn't very large or Impressive or a lot of people.  At least at the couple I've been to.   1 tablet or 2 up front and behind the Apple Sign some shelf space.  It's not very impressive.  Now in other country's, are those Office Apple stores with Apple tables and whatnot, true Apple within stores or just a stores own Apple section?    

• Reply 11 of 35
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Maybe should have said IN THE U.S.!!!  Is Best Buy anywhere else in the world?  I don't know.  Even Best Buy, the Apple section isn't very large or Impressive or a lot of people.  At least at the couple I've been to.   1 tablet or 2 up front and behind the Apple Sign some shelf space.  It's not very impressive.  Now in other country's, are those Office Apple stores with Apple tables and whatnot, true Apple within stores or just a stores own Apple section?    

I am not privy to the contractual agreements between Apple and Yodobashi Camera, but in Japan, at Yodobashi Camera*, they have large, very well appointed and visited, with pretty much the complete Apple lineup of products, store within a store format, sections dedicated to Apple and staffed by real Apple employees (not Yodobashi employees, though Yodobashi employees are also there to help and make the actual sales, the Apple people are just there as advisors/helpers to answer questions and demo products), and they use very similar if not the same wooden table layout to show the products.   And this is in cities that also have real life Apple stores in them.

*been a little over a year since I was last there so may have changed

• Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

It does say in the US. Nothing about the rest of the world. 

• Reply 13 of 35
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Those crowds are why nobody goes there anymore.

Seriously, last time I was in New York, I was in and out of there in less than thirty minutes. Of course that was 10 years ago . . .
  • Reply 14 of 35
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nylocal View Post

It does say in the US. Nothing about the rest of the world. 

There was a correction made once our international readers weighed in. But stateside, this store is believed to be one-of-a-kind. Thanks for all the feedback guys. We appreciate it. 

• Reply 15 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I can't tell how many times I've had family come visit, and upon visiting Times Square almost always come back with a piece of CE they purchased at one of those stores that have been going out of business since the 90s.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    mpantone wrote: »

My discontinued 160GB iPod classic lives in my car.

I occasionally take my iPod shuffle out with me when I'm just walking around. Easy way to conserve iPhone battery life. A drained iPod won't play music. A drained iPhone won't do anything. Better than former than the latter.

I've toyed with getting an iPod for this reason; I've also thought about just getting a used iPhone 4 since they're cheap and the current iPod Touch isn't much faster. Then I could use iTunes radio and such.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    jbdragon wrote: »

It's like 1-2 tables, about 10x20 feet of Apple-like style wood and colors (sometimes with an Apple guy) and you pick up what you want and pay by the same cashiers as the rest of the stores stuff. Much like many other brands do, they have their own section in the stoor with their own design (like xBox, Nintendo). Don't know if thats a store-within-a-store or what's it called.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but just as this Apple boutique is opening up at the country's largest professional camera store, Apple's setting the sun on its only professional photo application. Seems more than a little contradictory.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member

Big deal. In China we have these Apple style mini store with or without authorisation because the people want those Apple products and the shopping experience.

Apple literally got forced to start build more stores in China due the success of the mine-clones.

I've also seen such shops in Europe and Japan.

• Reply 20 of 35
    robogobo wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but just as this Apple boutique is opening up at the country's largest professional camera store, Apple's setting the sun on its only professional photo application. Seems more than a little contradictory.

Conversely, you could point out that it's also at the same time that Apple has just about eliminated the market for most standalone cameras...