what does it take to push Apple market share to 20%?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Steve talks about doubling Apple's market-share to less than 10%. What would it take to put Apple's marketshare at a whoppping 20%? Is it realisticly possible?

Supppose Apple had CPUs that were 15% faster, their systems cost 10% less and OS X is 100% better than XP - would people start to jump onto the Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by dividend:

<strong>Steve talks about doubling Apple's market-share to less than 10%. What would it take to put Apple's marketshare at a whoppping 20%? Is it realisticly possible?

Supppose Apple had CPUs that were 15% faster, their systems cost 10% less and OS X is 100% better than XP - would people start to jump onto the Mac?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not realistically possible and I also don't think Apple could physically handle that amount of sales. that is a HELL of a lot of mahines that they would have to move to get that much marketshare. Millions of computers a quarter.

Just not possible
  • Reply 2 of 40
    dividenddividend Posts: 119member
    Well, true, Apple could not TODAY supply that amount of computers, and probably not within the next two or three years. In a 10-year-perspective, things may look differently - but what would it take Apple to achieve such a goal - it is possible that they could supply the hardware/software that could drive sales to 20%? Once they had, what is it that today makes it impossible for them to do that?
  • Reply 3 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    %20 no I don't think so. Apple already runs into supply issues with current demand. I'd like to see how they handle just doubling the amount of computers shipped. %20 is just pipe dreams right now.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    [quote] What would it take to put Apple's marketshare at a whoppping 20%? <hr></blockquote>

More anti-trust rulings against Microsoft, acres of green and unforeseen renderfarms and servervilles, more iMac smashes, faster chips and/or a more innovative approach to speed, digital hubs that make the television an anachronism, and PRAYER.

[quote] Is it realisticly possible? <hr></blockquote>

It's odd, but for being in such a causal business (electronic engineering) Apple has put vision before realism. That has been both the company's weakness and strength, though mostly the latter.

Be careful of what you wish for...

-------------------------------

Still Waiting in Nashvegas
  • Reply 5 of 40
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    It'll never happen.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    I'm with Eman - it will NEVER happen.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    As long as Apple's entry-level machine costs $1400, they will have a low marketshare. As long as their price/performance ratio sucks, they will have a low market share. Any questions?
  • Reply 8 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>As long as Apple's entry-level machine costs $1400, they will have a low marketshare. As long as their price/performance ratio sucks, they will have a low market share. Any questions?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/101/wo/J1isH12huzwVKf6J3k2/0.3.0.3.30.25.0.1.3.1.3.1.1.0?99,75"; target="_blank">U Forgot These!</a>

*cough* you're forgetting the CRT iMacs $799
  • Reply 9 of 40
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    at one point in time apple had over 25% marketshare.

at that time, apple was by far the price/performance leader.

at this stage in the game, 20% is still possible, but you would need something like a $700 LCD iMac to do it. anything over that and it's just not going to happen.

built another 1Gig Duron machine this weekend for $400. that's just too damn cheap to compete against.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 10 of 40
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Price and/or performance alone won't win them huge gains in market share. People will make any and all excuses not to use a Mac.

They need:

1. to make the best machines, bar none

2. to get them into businesses

3. to give them very competitive prices (they don't have to be the cheapest)

4. to hope that some PC companies have to falter, and that MS makes some major mistakes.

5. to sprinkle some pixie dust on themselves
  • Reply 11 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>

<a href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/101/wo/J1isH12huzwVKf6J3k2/0.3.0.3.30.25.0.1.3.1.3.1.1.0?99,75"; target="_blank">U Forgot These!</a>

*cough* you're forgetting the CRT iMacs $799</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he means something competitive at the price.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    digixdigix Posts: 109member
    IF it's permitted, Apple will have a 20% marketshare.

IF Apple isn't permitted, you can forget about that 20% marketshare. It doesn't matter their products are cheapest, the manufacturing line that can keep up with demands, has the best performance, the best quality, the best choice of software selection, the best marketing campaign, etc.

If it's not permitted, NO 20% marketshare.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    20% marketshare would be great. And I think if the demand is there, Apple will adjust accordingly to meet it.

But before we get ahead of ourselves, what Apple still needs to do is to convince people why they are paying more for slower computers. The normal reaction of consumers is to pay less for more.

And if this megahertz myth is true, well then explain it better and more aggressively (I think they haven't because it's only true to a point).
  • Reply 14 of 40
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I think Apple should advetise its iApps more. They are so easy to use, it just compltes the Mac experience. Makes people want to buy macs. Godd idea.

Hmm. Maybe they'll make another iApp - but what will it be? They've exhasuted the Digital Hub idea.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>I think Apple should advetise its iApps more. They are so easy to use, it just compltes the Mac experience. Makes people want to buy macs. Godd idea.

Hmm. Maybe they'll make another iApp - but what will it be? They've exhasuted the Digital Hub idea.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This might get a few more people to buy Macs, but I doubt it would really increase marketshare.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    dividenddividend Posts: 119member
    the thing is, I guess, that most people today think that OS X is better than XP - some tend to say that XP is ALMOST as good as the Mac, and I guess people would prefer a Mac with its nice interface and stunning machines. However, they also say the Mac is too expensive, and nowadays also too weak, and there are too few programmes and games for the mac. Given this, is it not the case then that the problem for Apple is not to achieve 20%, but to achieve 10%. When Apple has 10% of the market, then I am quite sure that many more programmes and a lot more games will be ported to the Mac. After a 10%-share, then moving to 20% is not that difficult... it will then become a good-circle of more programmes, more buyers and yet more programmes. (why does Apple not implement British spelling for services: program/programme?) Before that, it is the opposite - few buyers, few programmes &c.

I think that Apple needs to concentrate on its core markets and make sure that within those areas they have more than 70% before they move on (education, design, perhaps movies, newspapers) to the larger community and forth. To accomplish this, they need price/performance that is consistently better than PCs - this has not really happened for 2 years or so. The cheapest computer, iMac classic, is not the that cheap compared to other cheap PCs, and what is 500 mhz G3??? If the iMac is priced 599 and has a 1 Ghz G4, then we are talking good price/performance in comparison to PCs, but the only ones with 1 Ghz G4s are the PowerMacs (and Xserve). Who believes that 1 Ghz G4 is faster and cheaper than a 2 Ghz P4?

Apple needs considerably faster chips for ALL of their systems, and perhaps a 10% reduction in price on all desktops. Portables are fine in my mind.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    i think that to move apple's market share up to 20%, a few things have to happen.

1) Apple has to lessen the Ghz/Mhz gap. new computer users don't understand the difference between the pentium 4 and the g4, and how much better mac OS x looks than XP, and how much better it uses system resources. i think if you can get a 1.7 ghz PC from Dell for $799, you should be able to at least get a 1 ghz Mac from Apple for say, $999. Maybe $1199 if you include a flat panel display.

2) Apple needs to put emphasis on the ease of interoperability between Macs and Windows boxes, and in areas where there isn't ease of interoperability between Macs and PCs, Apple needs to do as much as it can to make it that way.

3) Apple needs to go after the high-techie market by emphasizing the Unix core of Mac OS X, and emphasize the customizability of Mac OS X via the command prompt.

4) Apple needs to fix its current supply problems, and not announce computers 3 months before they will ship - they lose a lot of impulse buyers that way.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's going to be MS's hubris, and Apple taking advantage of it.

MS will tick people off with some hair-brained schemes like .NET and OS rentals with yearly licenses and too heavy-handed copy-protection schemes in their media players.

Then Apple will come along and have more reasonable plans, support more open standards, and not get involved in copy-protection nonsense, and customers will see them as the alternative to Big Bro MS.

And BTW, marketshare has nothing at all to do with DDR and FSB and gigahertz and ATA 133.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    One encouraging thing I see in this area is that over the past 10 mnths it has appeared that Apple has a plan of attack. And this plan is slowly taking shape. They really seem to have a good development cycle going and they are releasing new products that really fit every need of their intended market.

Look at the past 3 months. nearly ever week or so there has been a major announcement from Apple. They are keeping themselves in the news and releasing new products when they are needed and when it is best for them.

Apple always says they have a strong productline in the pipeline and I believe them. Things are slowly coming together and I think over the next 7 months we are going to see what Jobs and Apple's vision is.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Lower the price of the PwerMac G4 800 to $899 and you'll have your marketshare. Apple doesn't look at the big picture-never has, never will. They have margins on their brains. 5% marketshare means that Windows products don't get ported over, which means there will always be people scared to switch............................................ ....