Sony Vue streaming TV service launches on PlayStation in select markets, coming soon to iPad

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2015
Sony's new Internet-based streaming TV service Vue is now available on PlayStation consoles in select markets, and will be coming soon to Apple's iPad, as cable cutting options available to consumers continue to grow.

The new Sony Vue service includes 53 channels for $50 per month, including broadcast networks CBS, Fox and NBC, as well as popular cable networks TNT, MTV, Nickelodeon, CNN, and Comedy Central. Stepping up to a $60 plan adds regional sports networks like YES, Comcast SportsNet Chicago and Philadelphia, and Big Ten, while expanded cable options like FXM and Sprout are available at the $70 tier.

Not participating in Sony Vue, however, are Disney's ABC and ESPN. Dish's competing $20-per-month Sling TV does include those networks.

Sony first announced Vue last November, debuting in a limited invite-only beta. Thursday's more formal launch brings it to PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 consoles in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia, with more markets scheduled to come later this year.

Support for Apple's iPad with a dedicated app is also said to be coming soon, but Sony hasn't given a launch timeframe.

Vue features both live TV and cloud VR functions. The full lineup of channels is:
  • CBS - At launch, PlayStation Vue will offer the CBS Television Network's live linear signal in its owned-and-operated markets. On-demand prime-time programming will be available as well.
  • Discovery Communications - Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Science, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, Velocity and 11 more brands.
  • Fox - Fox Networks Group's portfolio of national entertainment programming services, including - FX, FXX, FXM, National Geographic Channel and Nat Geo WILD. Additionally FOX Sports' national and regional programming services - FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, BTN, Fox's regional sports networks, including YES Network. Plus the live linear signals of the Fox owned and operated broadcast television stations.
  • Fox News Network - Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network.
  • NBCUniversal - NBCUniversal's portfolio of national programming services - Bravo, Chiller, Cloo, CNBC, CNBC World, E!, Esquire, Golf Channel, MSNBC, NBCSN, NBC UNIVERSO, Oxygen, Sprout, Syfy, Universal HD and USA. Additionally, the agreement includes the NBC and Telemundo owned television stations, as well as multiple NBC Sports Regional Networks.
  • Scripps Networks Interactive - HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, DIY Network and Cooking Channel.
  • Turner Broadcasting -TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, CNN, CNN en Espanol, Boomerang, Turner Classic Movies (TCM), HLN and truTV.
  • Viacom - BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, TV Land, Spike, VH1 and more.
  • AMC Networks - AMC, IFC, SundanceTV and WE tv (available next month).
Vue is yet another option for so-called cable cutters, looking to gain access to live television broadcasts through providers other than traditional cable companies. Apple is said to be planning its own streaming service, which could launch as soon as September.

Apple's streaming service is rumored to cost between $30 and $40 per month, and the company is said to be in talks for deal with a number of major partners, including ABC, CBS, and Fox. Absent is said to be NBCUniversal, which is owned by Comcast, though the government could force Comcast to broker a deal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    cgs268cgs268 Posts: 55member
    Ok I don't live in the US and I don't think such options will be made available outside the US (although now is the time to cover that gap in the market) but $50-$60 ?? Would anyone pay that? On top of your broadband and other house bills ?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cgs268 View Post

Ok I don't live in the US and I don't think such options will be made available outside the US (although now is the time to cover that gap in the market) but $50-$60 ?? Would anyone pay that? On top of your broadband and other house bills ?

Because it's a lot less than cable.

But really, without ABC and ESPN ... that's gonna be a tough sell.  Well, if you don't care at all about sports, I suppose not.  But ...

• Reply 3 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I currently have DirecTV. I'm able to watch more and more channels on my iOS devices outside my house. They also have VOD services where I can watch a lot of shows on demand. Plus with DirecTV I'm able to access things like HBO Go and WatchESPN. Other than possibly price why would I want a service like this or what Apple is rumored to be cooking up? What is the benefit? With DirecTV I get all the major networks whereas ?TV is rumored to be missing NBC (Comcast) and Sony is missing ABC (Disney). I don't see how this is revolutionizing TV.

All it is, is a slimmed down cable package running over the Internet. And how does that work for people who don't have unlimited or fast internet service? I hope this isn't what Steve meant when he told Walter Isaacson he cracked TV.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    For any Home entrainment HUB to be successful, it should have
    1. Good Streaming Device with all possible contents including live TV channels
    2. Decent(not necessarily die hard) gaming device.
    3. Home appliances and gadget control HUB able to work remotely with cell phone, laptop apps.
    4. Able to download on-line shows/movie for later viewing
    5. Decent accessories(keyboard,voice enabled, phone remote control app)) to browse internet.
  • Reply 5 of 23

$50 to $70?  Sony is obviously unclear on the concept. 

Now I pay DirectTV $82.73/month (that includes all charges, taxes, etc) for 150 channels.  But I'm "cutting the cord" and instead of DirectTV, I'm switching to Roku3, Mohu Sky 60 antenna, a Channel Master DVR, and Netflix.  After purchasing this equipment, I'll be paying $8.65/month.  See the difference Sony?  $8.65 vs $82.73.  And now you expect me to pay $50 to $70/month for less channels than I'd get through DirectTV for about the same price, and no ESPN?  Are you nuts? 

But I guess you'll catch a few of the suckers.  I guess you can't go wrong with the old adage, "A fool and his money are soon parted."     

• Reply 6 of 23
    I'm not understanding how people fail to see the value in this?

I pay $140 a month for cable an "high speed" internet.

With a service like this i'd pay around $100 for both. So i'm immediately getting value by saving $40 a month BUT I also get the benefits of unlimted DVR space, the ablilty to watch ALL my channels and DVR contect outside of the house, a better UI, and freedom from dealing with Comcast customer service.

Still far from perfect but this is headed in the right direction. $40 base would have been the sweet spot. Im sure eventually they will pull in ABC/ESPN too.

People who want super cheap cable should look at Sling. This service is for TV WATCHERS that just want a better and alternate way to get service.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

FAIL.

No ESPN equals no success.

Still a bit better than cable since you don't have to pay $28 a month for a DVR that you will never own.

It's still a failure WITH ESPN. Why? It's expensive with bundled/unwanted channels and unique to PlayStations. This makes Cable even happier because the cost will add up with bandwidth overage charge and no cable bundled discount.

• Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Because it's a lot less than cable.

But really, without ABC and ESPN ... that's gonna be a tough sell.  Well, if you don't care at all about sports, I suppose not.  But ...

Not really a lot less than cable if you consider cable bundled package discount. You trade of the convenience of cable TV for cheaper streaming TV while Vue is not because without network, stream TV is screwed. So, there'll be some dumb PlayStation owners doing this, but majority won't. DOA, Sony.

• Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I currently have DirecTV. I'm able to watch more and more channels on my iOS devices outside my house. They also have VOD services where I can watch a lot of shows on demand. Plus with DirecTV I'm able to access things like HBO Go and WatchESPN. Other than possibly price why would I want a service like this or what Apple is rumored to be cooking up? What is the benefit? With DirecTV I get all the major networks whereas ?TV is rumored to be missing NBC (Comcast) and Sony is missing ABC (Disney). I don't see how this is revolutionizing TV.

All it is, is a slimmed down cable package running over the Internet. And how does that work for people who don't have unlimited or fast internet service? I hope this isn't what Steve meant when he told Walter Isaacson he cracked TV.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah....$120/mo with stupid charges on DVR and receiver rental fees?

• Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

How much do you pay for DirectTV?

For most people Cable/Sat bill + Cable Box rental is much much much more than AppleTV + Internet.

AppleTV is for people who only watch about 20-30 channels.  Mostly the most popular stations like ESPN, TNT, ABC, ect.  Also many cable providers do not allow for watching streaming TV outside of their home wifi network.

I hope Apple will place all channels in tiers and let users pick them based on package prices. With $30-$40 for 20-25 channels, Apply will bury them all, every single of them.

$30: 5 Tier 1, 5 Tier 2, 10 Tier 3.

$40: 7 Tier 1, 10 Tier 2, 15 Tier 3.

$50: 10 Tier 1, 15 Tier 2, 20 Tier 3.

• Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Exactly.

Frankly the bar set by the cable companies is so low AppleTV will easily capture a big part of the market.

IMO all AppleTV has to do is:

1. Provide a better interface than Cable/Satellite (not hard at all): EASY DONE THRU SOFTWARE UPDATE OVER TIME.

2. Offer a basic 20-30 channel package that contains the major broadcast channels (ABC, NBC, ect) and the top cable channels (ESPN, TNT, ect) for $30-$40: USER SELECTABLE CHANNELS.

3. Offer a few subpackages for specialized interest: NO LONGER NEEDED WITH OPTION 2 ABOVE.

If AppleTV can do that it will blow away cable for most users.  Most users will see their TV/internet bill be cut by 30-60%.  One of the biggest ripoffs is the DVR boxes the cable companies charge rent for.  We are talking $25+ a month for each box.  With 3 boxes you are paying a ton.

In my situation I would pay $180 for 3 DVR setup with Cable and internet.

With AppleTV at $35 + Ala Carte internet at $35 I'm saving over $100 a month.  I am sacrificing 170 channels I NEVER EVER EVER WATCH.  I would also have to buy an additional AppleTV for my 3rd display.  But AppleTV has many other uses so I would not consider it a part of the TV bill.

APPLE WILL KILL THEM ALL.

This's better after I revised it.

• Reply 12 of 23
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Yeah. No.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

It is really sounding like a large number of people are on the verge of cutting the cord. That weather it is Apple TV, Sony, Sling or ??,  pain will be felt by the cable companies. I know when stand alone Showtime is available I am cutting.  It may be a good time to get locked into a contract for Internet to stave off the hike in Internet prices that will surely happen to offset TV revenue losses.

• Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new Sony Vue service includes 53 channels for $50 per month,

Since I only watch 9 of the 53 how about 9 channels for $10. If I want to pay for something I don't use I can just keep my cable company. It is not a matter of how much less you will pay for less, but how much you pay for what you want.

• Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

It is really sounding like a large number of people are on the verge of cutting the cord. That weather it is Apple TV, Sony, Sling or ??,  pain will be felt by the cable companies. I know when stand alone Showtime is available I am cutting.  It may be a good time to get locked into a contract for Internet to stave off the hike in Internet prices that will surely happen to offset TV revenue losses.

I think you're seriously overestimating how many people will be willing to get rid of cable.  Everything always seems like some big, huge "movement" -- when you are reading stuff on tech sites.  It's like when people on tech sites think that some feature they want on their notebook/smartphone/whatever is what every non-techie wants.  A perfect example is how you'll see every techie go totally nuts when they can't access and replace their HD, for instance.  "Normal" people have zero interest in doing this, and wouldn't have the slightest clue how to go about it even if they did.

This seems like the same sort of thing, to me anyways.

Quote:

Since I only watch 9 of the 53 how about 9 channels for $10. If I want to pay for something I don't use I can just keep my cable company. It is not a matter of how much less you will pay for less, but how much you pay for what you want.

So, you would rather pay $100 than $40 or $50, as a point of principle or something?  

• Reply 16 of 23
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    cgs268 wrote: »

I'm paying around NZ$100 for Sky Digital here in New Zealand. That includes rented DVR. I preferred rented to owned option (which was also available) as these buggers die on occasion - hardly the best, most reliable pieces of hardware I have seen - so I prefer not to have to hassle with repairing or replacing them myself. Anyway... with PS3 and PS4 in my household, PSVue would be quite logical choice. It even supports multistream - up to 4 devices on single account, if I understood correctly. I'd probably toss larger HDDs in both my Playstations, but that's pretty much it.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I think you're seriously overestimating how many people will be willing to get rid of cable.  Everything always seems like some big, huge "movement" -- when you are reading stuff on tech sites.  It's like when people on tech sites think that some feature they want on their notebook/smartphone/whatever is what every non-techie wants.  A perfect example is how you'll see every techie go totally nuts when they can't access and replace their HD, for instance.  "Normal" people have zero interest in doing this, and wouldn't have the slightest clue how to go about it even if they did.

This seems like the same sort of thing, to me anyways.

So, you would rather pay $100 than $40 or $50, as a point of principle or something?  

I am just saying that having no good choices, and only one by degree being better than the rest is not a solution to a problem. If you walked into a store and went to the check out with a loaf of bread and you were told you cannot just buy bread but you have to buy 5 other things you would leave the store without the bread. But you can go down the street to another store and they only require that you buy 2 other things you don't need or want. So your saying that you are okay with that because the second store does not treat you as badly as the first? This is good how? Like it is better than a sharp stick in the eye. We all settle too easily. 

• Reply 18 of 23
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member

I didn't cut the cord a few years ago from Comcast, only to go start paying Sony $50 a month for TV service.  No thank!!!  If the $30-$40 for Apple TV service, I'd say the same thing!!!  I even think SlingTV at $20 is to much.  Make it $9.99 and I'd think about it.    

• Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

I am just saying that having no good choices, and only one by degree being better than the rest is not a solution to a problem. If you walked into a store and went to the check out with a loaf of bread and you were told you cannot just buy bread but you have to buy 5 other things you would leave the store without the bread. But you can go down the street to another store and they only require that you buy 2 other things you don't need or want. So your saying that you are okay with that because the second store does not treat you as badly as the first? This is good how? Like it is better than a sharp stick in the eye. We all settle too easily. 

If those are my only choices, then whether I like it or not is totally irrelevant.  If I need bread, then I need bread.  So I will go with the one where I need to buy 2 extra items.

Right now (or soon, anyways) will be:

-- Cable

-- Satellite

-- Apple

-- Sony

-- Sling

And then you will have the option of stuff like HBONow and Netflix and Hulu and other streaming services.

Now, if one of those combinations works for you, then it does.  If none of them do, you will either choose to go without or you will suck it up and choose one.

I mean, I pay a ridiculous amount of money for broadband -- and our broadband speeds in the US absolutely SUCK when compared to places like Korea or Japan.  So, I don't like paying for what is essence a sub-par service.  But my choices are pay for it, or not have internet in my house.  So, I suck it up and pay for a sub-par service.  *shrug*

If you want to call that settling, fine.  But I'd rather settle than not have internet access.

• Reply 20 of 23
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    I think cable is fixing itself in a way. Apps and streaming to mobile devices. Premium channels all have apps and online services. TiVo boxes have access to services like Netflix and Hulu and integrate those options into your search field. If I want to watch something away from my TV it's just a matter of signing in somewhere on the website of the tv provider.

I don't think Vue or any replacement for cable actually solves problems other than maybe a marginal reduction in price. Though right now one could argue you're getting less for your money with those options. Apple hopefully has something better up their sleeves.