Google, Intel team with TAG Heuer on luxury Android Wear smartwatch to counter Apple Watch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love these desperate partnerships thrown together by large companies in a futile attempt to rebuff whatever Apple is doing. Android Wear is trash. Intel has shown that it can't made a decent mobile chip worth a damn. And Tag knows nothing about designing a smartwatch, and does not have the culture to support such an endeavor. Sounds like an amazing mix. 

I think the phrase "desperate partnership" just about captures it.

Next we'll hear about how all the copies of Apple's innovations floating around were obvious from the get-go. After-the-fact. It won't be too long before Apple's in court trying to protect the IP for its Digital Crown....

• Reply 42 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

The GTR smokes any Aston because of its all-wheel drive and supercomputer launch control system NOT because of its engine. GTR is easy mode, Astons are for people who enjoy cars. There is no such thing as a classy rice burner so his anology actually is fitting, which is putting some something non-classy (Android) into something real watch people enjoy (Tag).

i hear you Red. Aston's are "garage art." If you enjoy driving a "loaner" Mustang.... a lot, get an Aston. :)

• Reply 43 of 171

This is clearly an act of desperation now that TH has seen the light. This will be a failure for so many reasons:

1) Won't work with iPhone. People with money and education have iPhones; that's a proven fact.

2) google gear has already established itself as the cheap alternative to Apple, which will take away from TH's high end allure. This is even before Apple Watch is even out! Apple baited google with a juicy watch rumor via bloomberg in 2/2013, and google took the bait hook line and sinker. It seems that Apple may have done this knowing it was going to go into the high end of the market. Very clever..

3) Poor functionality: A watch with traditional watch mechanics will be extremely limited in its functionality relative to the Apple Watch. Not to mention google gear's already limited functionality relative to the Apple Watch. If they go with a screen, it'll just be another copy of Apple Watch, or, if round, the motorola almost 360, which is a terrible design, basically an oversized cylinder with a chamfered edge (wonder where they got that idea from).

4) It will likely be clumsy in its execution, since TH has no experience with smart watch design. And it doesn't look like google would be much help there lol.

• Reply 44 of 171
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

1) Won't work with iPhone.

Why?

Quote:

3) Poor functionality: A watch with traditional watch mechanics will be extremely limited in its functionality relative to the Apple Watch. 

Who says everyone needs all the functionality an ?Watch provides? What if style is more important than function to someone, unwilling to otherwise compromise?

Quote:

4) It will likely be clumsy in its execution, since TH has no experience with smart watch design. 

Apple had no previous experience in smart watch design either. Obviously this isn't a given conclusion by any means.

• Reply 45 of 171
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    LOL! Even as a fan of Intel, that makes me laugh. Not to mention Android TAG. LOL!
  • Reply 46 of 171
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Why?

Uhh....because it's ANDROID wear?

• Reply 47 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    I think the phrase "desperate partnership" just about captures it.

Next we'll hear about how all the copies of Apple's innovations floating around were obvious from the get-go. After-the-fact. It won't be too long before Apple's in court trying to protect the IP for its Digital Crown....
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Digital-Crown-Meet-the-Digital-Bezel-in-Samsungs-rounded-smartwarch_id67258
    Of course it's Samsung.
  • Reply 48 of 171
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    pscooter63 wrote: »

Penile profile. Hairdresser's car. Cast iron straight six tractor engine.

Very durable, though, with added interest of Bosch fuel injection in 1970(?).
  • Reply 49 of 171
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Still waiting for Vertu to announce a smart watch. I think they're the only ones with the hardware and software skills to nail a luxury Android Wear watch.
  • Reply 50 of 171
    This is clearly an act of desperation now that TH has seen the light. This will be a failure for so many reasons:

1) Won't work with iPhone.

I noticed a video the other day on one of the other Apple fan sites showing an AndroidWear smartwatch taking a call from an iPhone. I think eventually, and perhaps sooner than later, AndroidWear may be generally compatible with iPhones.

By the way I ran across this article pointing out the some of the things an Apple Watch can do that an Android one can't. Good read.
    http://www.redmondpie.com/apple-watch-vs-android-wear-12-features-apples-offering-has-that-googles-doesnt/

EDIT: Found at least one of the videos. Not sure this is the one I had seen earlier. This iPhone isn't jail-broken either.
    http://www.iclarified.com/47825/android-wear-smartwatch-accepting-an-iphone-call-video
    [VIDEO]

Edit 2:
    Here's another showing an iPhone connected to an Android Wear based smartphone
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 51 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

Uhh....because it's ANDROID wear?

And there are no apps, nor potential apps for the iPhone that work with Android devices?

• Reply 52 of 171
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think Datsun was just a US name. In Panama they were always Nissan, back as far as I can remember, like mid-sixties.

Nup - We had Datsun in Australia :). There were some classics:

- Datsun Sunny

- Datsun 120Y

Peaked at Datsun 200B. The car I learned to drive on. Hill starts were a nightmare :)

• Reply 53 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    vqro wrote: »
    LOLS, good luck selling "luxury" to the android user base...

Exactly, has anybody been paying attention? The only people that are going to buy an expensive smartwatch are users if high end smartphones, and as of now iOS dominates that market
  • Reply 54 of 171
    TAG does not understand that their watches will be stuck with android phones and users even if they try to tag on Apple's coat tail.
    iOS users will buy the Apple Watch.

They should try licensing their their watch faces out.
  • Reply 55 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The only people that are going to buy an expensive smartwatch are users if high end smartphones, and as of now iOS dominates that market

Well assuming this is true, why does using Android software preclude TH from creating a custom app for the iPhone?

• Reply 56 of 171
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Well assuming this is true, why does using Android software preclude TH from creating a custom app for the iPhone?
    It doesn't AFAIK.

EDIT: This Verge article comes to the same conclusion as I did about Android Wear and iPhones.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/19/8256937/android-wear-luxury-needs-iphone
  • Reply 57 of 171
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think Datsun was just a US name. In Panama they were always Nissan, back as far as I can remember, like mid-sixties.

I was in the UK in the early 70's. Datsun was very popular. They had quite the sporty image. The Datsun 240Z was very nice. I never understood the need to change a well known brand to Nissan.

They were always Nissan, they just called their exports Datsuns for decades...

Then, I think, it was something along the lines of feeling they were selling the "Nissan"

consortium name short, globally, so, to strengthen that global presence, everything became Nissan...

At least, that's my fuzzy-ish recollection.

• Reply 58 of 171
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Further proof that Apple represents a major threat to watchmakers.

• Reply 59 of 171
    herbivoreherbivore Posts: 132member
    Ah, the Intel Quark processor. More vapor ware and bravado by a company that is becoming slowly rendered into irrelevance. Is the Quark processor line even shipping?

No mention of battery life either.

How much contra revenue is Intel going to sink into this endeavor only to find out that embedded x86 is a non-starter. Their desktop and laptop x86 lines are getting stomped by ARM and the high end desktops are now in danger. It won't be long before the Xeon line also gets displaced.

And yet those guys are insistent on trying to drive x86 down our throats. Notice to Intel: get a clue! The market is leaving x86. You lost. It's time to move on. An Android watch running a tiny x86 processor isn't going to save you. At least you all know that Windows mobile is irrelevant. Android on x86 isn't any better.

Why Tag Heuer would do this baffles me also. Samsung, Nvidia, Qualcomm, and AMD could produce a better ARM processor for running the Android watch than the Intel Quark. At least Samsung will get their next watch right and Tag Heuer will go the way of Nokia.
  • Reply 60 of 171
    Lol Android and Luxury don't go together. Android is for the poor, degenerate, welfare, public aid.