Amazon given green light for U.S. drone tests, inches toward 'Prime Air' delivery

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    I'm not sure if I'm for or against this.

Many of you seem to be dead set against drone delivery but I haven't heard many actual reasons for the objections...

Is it the anticipated noise created by the drones?
    Is it the assumption that they'll crash into and damage your person or your property?
    Is it the assumption that they will be surveilling you as they pass over your property?

Really, I see a lot of logistical problems that would have to be overcome to make this work - but assuming that they are able to overcome those issues - why are so many people against this in principle?
  • Reply 42 of 85
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    You're deluded, to put it mildly.

Bet you 100 shares of Apple stock this happens within ten years. Maybe even five.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Watch shotgun sales soar.

Shotguns would be way too easy.  I'd use a NET-deploying GUN!!

Capture the little buggers, confiscate its cargo, and swap it with a bag a dog-shit and a thank-you letter.  I suspect Amazon will quickly abandon the idea.

How much to bet that Bezos would "conveniently" prevent them from buzzing his house within a 5-mile radius?

• Reply 44 of 85
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I just don't see how it saves any money.

• They have to hire professional pilots or train them

• They have to lease a bunch of small local dispatch locations

• Many deliveries will not be drone compatible

• Expensive equipment that probably has a substantial failure rate

• Incompatible with bad weather conditions

• Increased liability and insurance costs

• Strong opposition by general public damaging brand

• Vandalism and theft opportunists issues

Where is the upside?

There is none. This is a PR stunt for a tech that at best might be useful inside Amazon's own facilities.

• Reply 45 of 85
    atklatkl Posts: 8member
    mstone wrote: »
    What percent of Amazon deliveries are even drone deliverable? Since the drones can't be very far from the dispatch center anyway, why not hire some college kids on bicycles instead? Whatever saves a few bucks is what they will do I guess. Isn't a professional drone pilot going to earn more than double what you would pay a bicyclist. Plus a bicyclist can deliver 100% of the small to medium size packages.

A recent TV feature on Amazon labs( I think it was CNN) featured the drones and according to Jeff Bezos 85% of Amazon packages are under 5 lbs. which is the focus area for drone delivery.A good percentage of the 85% is under 2lbs. I am not sure of US regulations but as a business case, I think they have the numbers to lobby hard for it to be made legal.
  • Reply 46 of 85
    I hope the Chinese start making electronic jammers when these things start flying
  • Reply 47 of 85
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm not one for guns, am for sane gun control, but I would be completely onboard with people shooting these down. 

I'm not a gun person either, but my slingshot (normally used to chase crows) is at the ready.

• Reply 48 of 85
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    Those blades aren't covered with any safety mesh, and they must spin pretty fast to carry such heavy loads. I can see a number of cats getting sliced up in those things when they land. I think it's sort of neat in concept. But America is the most sue-happy country on the planet. How can Amazon get around the Liability issues?
  • Reply 49 of 85

This will not happen in my opinion. FAA rules specifically state that any drone has to fly under 400 feet and have an operator within visual sight of the drone. Now how is that more efficient than just delivering the package?

d

• Reply 50 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    roontoon wrote: »
    This will not happen in my opinion. FAA rules specifically state that any drone has to fly under 400 feet and have an operator within visual sight of the drone. Now how is that more efficient than just delivering the package?

d
    Yes, that was in the AI article. Sounds to me like the FAA would consider modifying that rule depending on how the tests they approved pan out. Otherwise why would Amazon bother?
  • Reply 51 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Sounds to me like the FAA would consider changing that rule depending on how the tests they approved pan out.

Well then there is that BIG problem of battery life. I own a quad and you are damn lucky to get 10 minutes flying time. With the added weight of the package you would get even less time, therefor the need for a pilot. Not to mention obstacles like trees, etc. and the liability issue of blades cutting the crap out someone. I really this is are VERY huge obstacles to overcome.

• Reply 52 of 85
    roontoon wrote: »

Well then there is that BIG problem of battery life. I own a quad and you are damn lucky to get 10 minutes flying time. With the added weight of the package you would get even less time, therefor the need for a pilot. Not to mention obstacles like trees, etc. and the liability issue of blades cutting the crap out someone. I really this is are VERY huge obstacles to overcome.
    There sure are.
  • Reply 53 of 85
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Funny, I just watched a show on CBC about drones the other week, and the discussion was very much the same as here.  It showed that there are a number of people who have shot down drones flying over their property, and even a few who have organized drone hunting groups.  In response, some drone enthusiasts have made bullet-proof shielding for their drones (can you say escalation?).  Lastly, one hacker even created a drone that could jam and "take over" other drones mid-air.

EDIT: I was going to post a link to the video, but it looks like it's available in Canada only.  Here's a link with some detailed information about it though.

• Reply 54 of 85
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roontoon View Post

With the current consumer drones, sure.  But the military has already used drones for many years to perform long-range unmanned operations.  It's just a matter of time before some of that technology makes its way into consumer drones.  With Amazon's level of interest, it's likely already within the price range of big companies.

• Reply 55 of 85

This sort of system probably works best with current technology in densely populated (urban) areas. Packages would not be delivered to individual doorsteps, but rather to caged receiving areas on the roofs of office buildings and apartments/condominiums. Arrangements for delivery/pickup from those "delivery cages" would be up to the management/building supervisors of each building, and would vary more or less as arrangements for "mail rooms" are currently managed.

The line-of-sight regulation would have to be waived, and some sort of autonomy given to the drone once it moved out of sight over the top of the building. The 400-foot limit would allow delivery to a roughly 22-story office building, or a 30-story apartment building, assuming 15 feet of clearance required to drop in the roof delivery cage. (Office buildings have on average 17-foot stories, apartments 13-foot stories.) Buildings taller than 400 feet could carve out an open-air "drop area" on a corner of the building below the limit, or receive an exemption from the rule.

Multiples of delivery drones could be "palletized" at the Amazon delivery center, or perhaps earlier at the fulfillment center. This could be accomplished by the drones being designed with "caged" blades and uniform, stackable shapes. These pallets could be stacked in multiples on larger trucks (tractor-trailers) and those driven to various "unloading zones" in the city, from which they would then fly off to complete their deliveries.

Empty drones could return there, or to another area from which they would be transported en masse to be recharged/reloaded. There are still troublesome areas of liability (what if a drone fails and lands on someone's head? What about inclement weather) but it doesn't seem as farfetched as I originally considered it to be.

• Reply 56 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    So drones used by several Apple owners here (I think Digitalclips might be one) should not stray over your neighborhood then? :smokey:

I do not not never have owned a drone. The nearest I got was a helicopter that used AAA batteries when I was a kid of 7. I lost it when it flew over an Apple orchard near our house and I was very sad.

I am neutral on the whole Amazon concept, I wait to see how it plays out. The noise and pollution of hundreds of diesel driven trucks zooming around our neighborhoods is hardly non intrusive either.

I do wonder, when there are a lot of Amazon drones flying together before they split off to individual homes, if they will fly in a V formation though.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    I do not not never have owned a drone. The nearest I got was a helicopter that used AAA batteries when I was a kid of 7. I lost it when it flew over an Apple orchard near our house and I was very sad.

I am neutral on the whole Amazon concept, I wait to see how it plays out. The noise and pollution of hundreds of diesel driven trucks zooming around our neighborhoods is hardly non intrusive either.

I do wonder, when there are a lot of Amazon drones flying together before they split off to individual homes, if they will fly in a V formation though.

Ah, I do remember you commenting favorably on drones and particularly their use for photography but couldn't recall if you had bought your own. Thanks!
  • Reply 58 of 85
    I think some of you are a complete mess. It is great to see a company push the boundaries of what we are capable of. What a great concept. Certain items I can have within minutes of ordering online? Frickin awesome. Of course there are going to be challenges to overcome but give props where props are due (see what I did there).

Those that view progress as a threat need to crawl back under your rocks...
  • Reply 59 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There sure are.

There sure are NOT.

Given technology at DARPA has now developed bullets that can go around corners and we seem to be able to have self guiding missiles that can leave a ship and go through a window hundreds of miles away everyone is underestimating science and technology here. Judging this all by the abilities of a toy is hardly sensible.

Just watch the abilities of shared intelligence and AI used in some the the experiments using drones doing acrobatics and playing games together.

• Reply 60 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »
    True but cities are full of apartment buildings. How can a drone deliver to an apartment?

The same way Santa Claus does. Don't you know anything? Sheesh :lol: