Apple to reveal new Apple TV with App Store, Siri & A8 CPU at WWDC in June - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2015
Apple is planning to take the wraps off of a brand new Apple TV set-top box, featuring Siri integration and support for a native App Store, at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference this June, according to a new report.

Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, John Paczkowski of Buzzfeed News reported on Friday that Apple will introduce a next-generation Apple TV in a matter of months. It will also apparently provide developers with a new software development kit to write applications for the new hardware.

In addition to a dedicated App Store with support for third-party software, the new Apple TV will also reportedly support Siri voice input, as well as the company's latest A8 processor found in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Characterizing it as a "significant overhaul," Paczkowski also said that the device will feature onboard storage that goes "well beyond" the 8 gigabytes found on the current hardware.

The Apple TV hasn't been updated in years, though it did receive a price cut to $69 earlier this month. The company has also continuously added new content options to the device even without an App Store, and next month will exclusively bring HBO Now into its lineup.

The A8 processor that already powers the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus is powerful enough to output 4K-resolution video, which means the device could be capable of supporting ultra-high-definition content. Services like YouTube and Netflix are already offering select content in 4K resolution, while 4K TVs are beginning to hit the market at more competitive prices.

The new boss: same as the old boss?

Meanwhile, the addition of Siri could bring new smart home control opportunities to the Apple TV, making it a sort of hub for Apple's HomeKit tools for developers. And an App Store opens the potential for games on an HDTV, which would officially enter Apple into the home game console market, competing with the likes of Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4.

Rumors of a new Apple TV have persisted for years, but Apple is believed to have held back on introducing a new model until it can get deals in place for more content. Recent rumors suggest the tide could be turning in that department, with reports claiming Apple is looking to launch a brand new subscription TV service this fall, which could coincide with the debut of new hardware.

Previously, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said that a new Apple TV with motion controls would play a "key role" for the company, but Friday's report gave no indication of new input methods for the next-generation device beyond Siri. Speculation about a motion-controlled Apple TV has stemmed from Apple's acquisition of PrimeSense, which also powered the tech behind Microsoft's first-generation Xbox Kinect gaming peripheral.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 200
    This is not a repeat from 2014, 2013, 2012...
  • Reply 2 of 200
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

Quite honestly I hope it's true this time.  I've been intentionally holding off upgrading now to the 1080p version for over a year now with the hopes they'd update the hardware.

• Reply 3 of 200
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Well, it makes total sense when you consider the price cut on the current version and the upcoming TV service.

An A8 -- cool! :)

• Reply 4 of 200
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Finally! Or so I hope. lol
  • Reply 5 of 200
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

I'll believe it when I see it.  Fool me once, fool me 17 times AI...

• Reply 6 of 200
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Like I predicted.  Once Cook said the new price of the AppleTV was lowered I knew a new one was coming out

Selling off excess inventory.

• Reply 7 of 200
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Can't wait to play game on the AppleTV.

I wonder how much? 

$199?

$299?

$129

They will keep the $69 entry level version, create a $129 "pro"version, and maybe, just maybe a Apple designed game controller...

• Reply 8 of 200
    It needs to support 24/192 audio, and not down sample higher bit audio. I stopped using it to stream music and switched to the Oppo BDP105 in my home theater. I only use the apple tv over my speakers by the pool because out there I don't notice the difference.
  • Reply 9 of 200
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Quite honestly I hope it's true this time.  I've been intentionally holding off upgrading now to the 1080p version for over a year now with the hopes they'd update the hardware.

I really don't understand why people hold off on upgrading.  You realize that technology is either a) improving or b) dropping in price all the time.  Also, with Apple products you can always sell your device for next to the same amount you bought it for so you might lose like $20-30 but if you get that much more enjoyment out of it.... who cares?

• Reply 10 of 200
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    dave k. wrote: »

$129

They will keep the $69 entry level version, create a $129 "pro"version, and maybe, just maybe a Apple designed game controller...
    And name current version "Air" lol.
    I would say the new box will be priced from $149-$199.
  • Reply 11 of 200
    Yeah riiight. They haven't updated this for years and never will. The only thing that is constant is the frequency of this rumor.
  • Reply 12 of 200
    No mention of a single UK major broadcaster, so once again, Apple TV will bypass the UK for another year.

Perhaps in 2016.
  • Reply 13 of 200

Nice! Since it may be announced at (the supposedly software-centric) WWDC, maybe we can hope for a UI overhaul as well.

Me thinks a lot more people want a new Apple TV over a watch.

• Reply 14 of 200
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    unknownz wrote: »
    Yeah riiight. They haven't updated this for years and never will. The only thing that is constant is the frequency of this rumor.
    Like you: posted 14 comments in 5 years on AI?
  • Reply 15 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

It needs to support 24/192 audio, and not down sample higher bit audio. I stopped using it to stream music and switched to the Oppo BDP105 in my home theater. I only use the apple tv over my speakers by the pool because out there I don't notice the difference.

It doesn't "need" to do that, frankly.  99.9% of people don't care or notice.

I think the fact that you're talking about a $1,400 Blu-Ray player sets out outside the mainstream a bit. :)

• Reply 16 of 200
    Now that the motherboard on the new macbook is so small. What's stopping them from using that type of processor/chipset in the Apple TV? I'm assuming this is going to be the Homekit hub/ tv streaming/ game console of the future.
  • Reply 17 of 200
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:

Can't wait to play game on the AppleTV.

I wonder how much? 

$199?

$299?

Maybe free with a 2-year subscription?:rolleyes:

• Reply 18 of 200
    dave k. wrote: »

$129

People crack me up handing out the "pro" designation. Jesus why can't just be Apple TV 4. The only thing Apple has designated pro has been laptops and desktops. Never a phone or a tablet or iPod.
  • Reply 19 of 200
    Apple, if you are reading this. Please include remote audio for those of us with young children (or other reasons for not wanting to use speakers).
  • Reply 20 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macdaddy78 View Post

People crack me up handing out the "pro" designation. Jesus why can't just be Apple TV 4. The only thing Apple has designated pro has been laptops and desktops. Never a phone or a tablet or iPod.

To be fair, he did put it in quotes.