Second Apple Watch diary entry from model Christy Turlington Burns touts activity tracking, watch co

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Funny enough, I'd say Turlington is aspirational for Apple... She'S the person Apple wishes to be :-)

• Reply 62 of 86
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »
    And people were telling me i was dumb for saying the Apple stock gets manipulated.

Stock dropped almost $3 in the last 5 minutes. Lol.

What a coincidence today was Quarterly options expiration
    The volume chart tells the tale. Millions sold rightist the end incl a 5.8 million spike after a really flat day.

These conspiracy theories were merely tiresome, but now they're starting to be stupid. How do you know it wasn't some liquidity-related selling -- by an institution or a wealthy individual -- and there was simply no price support? After all, tax season is just around the corner. And even if it was options related selling (btw if you know options basics, you should know that it pays to wait until the last minute to exercise American options -- unless you expect a dividend surprise), why is that 'manipulation'? It's quite possible that someone had a call, exercised it, turned around and sold it, and collected the profit. Again, the fact that there were not a lot of buyers at the other end meant that price fell.

This is the trouble when you think of your investment horizon in terms of days or weeks, rather than the long term. Deal with it.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    stanhope wrote: »
    98.6% of the world doesn't know who Christy Turlington is and most of the remainder don't care. Giving Apple Watches to the Dancing With the Stars cast would have been more interesting because the training is known to be grueling and you have a broader cross section of people I.e. Men and women, athletes and more regular lifestyles. Christie Brinkley is more recognizable and known for fitness; David Beckham might have been a good consideration too.

'Dancing with the Stars' cast? Ugh. Yes, that would fly with the classy crowd.

Btw, Beckham is already taken as a Samsung (or Android) spokesman, if I am recalling right.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    This is a brilliant marketing move. It's irrelevant as to whether people know who Christy is. Those that do will immediately recognize her accomplishments. Those that don't will very likely want to find out who this "unknown" person is that is being featured on the website of the world's most successful tech company.

The benefits go both ways. Stop thinking of it from the narrow view that Christy has to help Apple sell the Watch. Apple is also highlighting a humanitarian and bringing her work some well deserved publicity. It's great for both sides.
  • Reply 65 of 86

Who IS this lady?

• Reply 66 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If you are in your 20s or 30s I suppose you might not know who she is, which reinforces the notion that the watch is mainly aimed at middle-aged or older people with lots of disposable income initially.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    With analog watches a Complication added complexity to the design.
    e.g. My Swatch watch has one complication, it shows the date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complication_(horology)
  • Reply 68 of 86
    With analog watches a Complication added complexity to the design.
    e.g. My Swatch watch has one complication, it shows the date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complication_(horology)
  • Reply 69 of 86
    michael_cmichael_c Posts: 164member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    It recovered somewhat in after-hours trading:

But when I saw that rapid and massive dip at the end of the session, first thought that went thru my mind was "someone is fucking with the stock again"...
    Since yesterday was expiration Friday (for monthly options), that was most likely the cause of the initial drop during the last 10 minutes of trading.
    Looks like the initial sellof may have triggered some automated systems to sell after inital drop. $1.5 billion sold during the last 10 minutes of trading, with over 1/3rd of the selloff coming in the last minute.
  • Reply 70 of 86

I'm not sure how I feel about the CTB endorsement - what is the message? They could never get a serious runner to endorse their watch considering it has no GPS. So instead we get an every-woman, average runner who happens to be famous to tell us how much the watch (and the giant 6+ strapped to her arm) helped her training. It would have been more convincing to me if she was cycling or doing some stationary exercise (e.g. in the gym) where having your phone with you is less of a problem. If you are planning to buy the watch for some other reason, then taking it running might be a nice bonus but if you are looking for a watch for running, Apple's would have to be at the bottom of the list.

• Reply 71 of 86
    If it was not so feature limited then it would be such a burdensome complication that we would have to price it down.

Nifty marketing. Now why is the silly model not using a proper GPS watch like a Garmin?
  • Reply 72 of 86
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Moan moan moan. Give it a rest.

the only solution is to block this nitwit troll.

• Reply 73 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Anyone else not impressed with A) the fact Apple is trying to use a "celebrity" to try and make the human connection and B) that Apple picked, considered by myself and some as, a non-celebrity who means nothing?

no, you're just reading it wrong. she's not a celebrity, she's a subject matter expect. a perfect use case for people like myself interested in the activity tracking aspect of the device.

• Reply 74 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If you are in your 20s or 30s I suppose you might not know who she is, which reinforces the notion that the watch is mainly aimed at middle-aged or older people with lots of disposable income initially.

$349 is less than the original iPod in today's dollars -- was that also aimed at "older people"?

what nonsense.

• Reply 75 of 86
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

$349 is less than the original iPod in today's dollars -- was that also aimed at "older people"?

what nonsense.
    Nobody NEEDS an ?Watch. It's an iPhone accessory -- a luxury. It's the phone that's a necessity. As a fitness tracker or iPod alone it's over priced.

The iPod was an digital option to something many people were using, whether it can be said anybody actually NEEDS a portable music player. The iPod was the future of the Walkman, one of the most ubiquitous portable consumer electronic items around for two decades. Kids knew this, and would therefore save up their allowance, or part time job money (or just ask mom and dad) to pay more for the iPod than a single disk CD Walkman, or a difficult to use MP3 player otherwise available. None of which were particularly cheap either. And Apple was criticized for the price then as I recall.

Apple charges a premium for their products. $349 is an entry level price, for a device that requires an iPhone, and is not especially in demand like portable music players of a decade ago. That makes the watch an indulgence, for people with disposable income, who use watches. Older people. Two-thirds of teenagers do NOT wear watches. And only half own iphones. The watch is not for them whether they can afford it or not.

That said, of course Apple hopes this will be a compelling enough product to change the teenagers habits -- and who knows perhaps teenagers will find being able to send a receive texts on their wrists defeats many school's cell phone rules to be put away during class, well worth the change in lifestyle, fashion and cost.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    aaronj wrote: »

+1 for Caddyshack reference. :)

And yeah, I just meant if all of a sudden it started an unexpected downpour or something.  But right -- if I'm worried about the Apple Watch, then I'm not teeing off at the next hole, but heading back to the clubhouse.
    I just saw Caddyshack in HD on TV the other day, and was impressed how well it holds up. It's a timeless classic.

But talk of inclement weather got me thinking --

Do we know what the recommended operating temperatures are?

The iPhone is rated from 32-95 degrees only. Hopefully the watch is rated for much colder and hotter conditions. In particular, the watch will be an amazing tool for winter sports like snow skiing, or just working or exercising in the cold. The iPhone can be kept close to the body and within its operating tolerances, and accessed much more easily from the wrist. I can't tell you how many dropped cell phones I've seen from chairlifts on ski slopes.

I suspect body temperature will help some to mitigate on the cold end of things, but that won't help in warmer climates, where those health sensors would really come in handy.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

If it was not so feature limited then it would be such a burdensome complication that we would have to price it down.

Nifty marketing. Now why is the silly model not using a proper GPS watch like a Garmin?

Because she's not lost... And the GPS doesn't really give you anything more while adding bulk and having less other functionality.

Other complaint?

That "silly" model runs a large humanitarian organization focused on improving maternal health and got a masters degree (adding to her previous degree) from Columbia just to help her run it.

She's also known the world over by that elusive top 2-3%, those that buy Iphones and expensive watches...

• Reply 78 of 86
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I just saw Caddyshack in HD on TV the other day, and was impressed how well it holds up. It's a timeless classic.

But talk of inclement weather got me thinking --

Do we know what the recommended operating temperatures are?

The iPhone is rated from 32-95 degrees only. Hopefully the watch is rated for much colder and hotter conditions. In particular, the watch will be an amazing tool for winter sports like snow skiing, or just working or exercising in the cold. The iPhone can be kept close to the body and within its operating tolerances, and accessed much more easily from the wrist. I can't tell you how many dropped cell phones I've seen from chairlifts on ski slopes.

I suspect body temperature will help some to mitigate on the cold end of things, but that won't help in warmer climates, where those health sensors would really come in handy.

Interesting.  I hadn't even thought of temps.  Of course, it won't have much of an impact on me, since where I live it never gets too hot, and even when it's really cold (like this winter -- for example, one day the high was -1F) I'm only outside briefly -- usually to smoke a cigarette. 

And yeah it's amazing how well Caddyshack holds up.  It's just so damned funny.

• Reply 79 of 86
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Because she's not lost... And the GPS doesn't really give you anything more while adding bulk and having less other functionality.

Other complaint?

That "silly" model runs a large humanitarian organization focused on improving maternal health and got a masters degree (adding to her previous degree) from Columbia just to help her run it.

She's also known the world over by that elusive top 2-3%, those that buy Iphones and expensive watches...

And GPS kills the battery, doesn't it?

• Reply 80 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Other complaint?

And GPS kills the battery, doesn't it?

It does, which is why the Apple Watch doesn't have it, and is why the iPhone is a superior device for fitness freaks and anyone who wishes to use a map, rendering the Apple Watch less than helpful.