Survey sez - GIVE US QUADS!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Recent Architosh survey of pro users shows that what they want most from Apple are quad processor machines.

Apple has had the power to end the MHz Wars decisively in it's favor simply by extending multiple processors to include four way systems to it's pro line.

What has prevented Apple from going this route? Would a dual G5 outperform quad Apollos? Would anything?

Although I doubt if many of us would need this power (I just want to add dual 500's to my Cube), it would place a marker in the marketscape that would return the platform to supremacy at the high end.

I say put a quad GHz Apollo tower out, and while they are at it make a "Rac Mac" with 8 - 7410's to showcase OSX server capabilities. Coupled with SGI NUMAflex style memory management and DDR these systems would rule.

My sig from the old AI says it all - comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aphelion:

<strong>Recent Architosh survey of pro users shows that what they want most from Apple are quad processor machines.

Apple has had the power to end the MHz Wars decisively in it's favor simply by extending multiple processors to include four way systems to it's pro line.

What has prevented Apple from going this route? Would a dual G5 outperform quad Apollos? Would anything?

Although I doubt if many of us would need this power (I just want to add dual 500's to my Cube), it would place a marker in the marketscape that would return the platform to supremacy at the high end.

I say put a quad GHz Apollo tower out, and while they are at it make a "Rac Mac" with 8 - 7410's to showcase OSX server capabilities. Coupled with SGI NUMAflex style memory management and DDR these systems would rule.

My sig from the old AI says it all - comments?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's a problem of CPU bus, the dual G4 share the same mpx bus, a quad G4 will be too much to share a simple 133 mhz bus.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    ...Which is why we need a 400MHz bus when we get our nice DDR RAM or whatever they have up their collective sleeves so each proc gets a nice 100MHz chunk of bus to play around with...or a sperate bus for each proc...with its own DDR RAM (1.5 Gigs a piece, go go go), giant L3 cache (what say 10 megs or so?) *DROOL* And to top it off each proc is a 64 bit multicore g5 at 1.6GHz.

[EDIT: Fixed *DROOL* so it wouldn't make a ]

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    qUaD pRoC aLl ThE wAy!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>qUaD pRoC aLl ThE wAy!</strong><hr></blockquote>

You want it for RC5
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quad processing seems too expensive for Macs. I'd rather have a single or even dual G5 Powermac running at &gt;=1.8 GHz. That would be an awesome Intel-killer of a Mac. Quad processors are too dependent upon developers optimizing their code properly. I'd rather have something that's fast out of the box with everything you throw at it. Makes life easier for developers, too.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Airsluf, you mean to target a specific, high end market with quads? That makes sense, but does Apple have much presence in these markets? 3d rendering, server workstations, these things are not typical uses for Macs....if Apple offers the appropriate hardware, will people begin using Macs, or does it take more than that to penetrate these markets? I don't know, but maybe someone who's in these markets knows?

I was referring to the current desktop market of Apple's, when I expressed doubts about the cost of quad processor Macs. But these doubts wouldn't apply to an ultra high-end mac aimed at an entirely new market. I just wonder if Apple can easily move into these markets...certainly OS X will help but is it enough? Are there enough Unix gurus who would embrace Macs over Wintels? Over cheap Dell hardware?

I sure hope so...I'm sick of all those Dell advertisements for their servers, it would be nice if Apple ran a few ads about their servers so I didn't have to see the "Dell" logo plastered across my TV screen.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    [quote] by powerdoc:

It's a problem of CPU bus, the dual G4 share the same mpx bus, a quad G4 will be too much to share a simple 133 mhz bus.

<hr></blockquote>

The point of my post was that Apple has had the power to do this, release MP machines with the appropriate bus and memory sub systems, (UMA-2?), for some time. For the presumed specs just apply your favorite mobo and buzwords that support this concept.

[quote] by Junkyard Dawg:

Quad processing seems too expensive for Macs. I'd rather have a single or even dual G5 Powermac running at &gt;=1.8 GHz. That would be an awesome Intel-killer of a Mac. Quad processors are too dependent upon developers optimizing their code properly. I'd rather have something that's fast out of the box with everything you throw at it. Makes life easier for developers, too

<hr></blockquote>

Expensive? What's a new SGI Fuel cost? 11K? Developers optimizing code? Build it and they will come.

[quote] by AirSluf:

JD, the folks who need that kind of power use their computers in ways that will use it already. Today. It will be even more bonus when Maya 4-Mac shows up with the MP support built in. There are many professionals and researchers that use several programs simultaneously at high warble.

Given a 4x 1.0G with appropriately tweaked memory bandwidth and GF4 high end card, you could give an SGI Fuel a beating for around half the cost.

<hr></blockquote>

Exactly AirSluf !

[quote]That said, I don't think the memory bus issues are solvable at a reasonable cost for the remaining life of the G4 as the Pro end of the spectrum, and G5 architecture will not just plug-in. 18 months to a year ago, maybe. Today, not enough time to recoup costs before a major technology shift.

<hr></blockquote>

Hmnnn... UMA-2 = Unified Motherboard Architecture #2 - they might have had the foresight to accommodate this, even as you said 18 months to a year ago. (which was when I first joined this board with this sig)

[quote] by Junkyard Dawg:

Airsluf, you mean to target a specific, high end market with quads? That makes sense, but does Apple have much presence in these markets? 3d rendering, server workstations, these things are not typical uses for Macs....if Apple offers the appropriate hardware, will people begin using Macs, or does it take more than that to penetrate these markets? I don't know, but maybe someone who's in these markets knows?

I was referring to the current desktop market of Apple's, when I expressed doubts about the cost of quad processor Macs. But these doubts wouldn't apply to an ultra high-end mac aimed at an entirely new market. I just wonder if Apple can easily move into these markets...certainly OS X will help but is it enough? Are there enough Unix gurus who would embrace Macs over Wintels? ...

<hr></blockquote>

The Survey at Architosh has results of a poll taken of high end Pro users that shows over half of them specifically want a quad processor system and they said they would expect, and be willing to pay, $5000 for one. Apple has a presence here and needs to support and expand it

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Aphelion ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Strangely Architosh.com is offline for me since I first made this thread. OmniWeb returns 403 & 404 errrors and IE reports thee following error:

[quote]Warning: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'segfault.macnn.com' (60) in /usr/local/www/forum-architosh/docroot/admin/db_mysql.phtml on line 50

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.<hr></blockquote>

So what's up? can anyone bring up Architosh?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I think Apple should be using all its resources to accelerate work on the G5, not quad processors. A decent amount of processor R&D has gone in-house since Motorola's troubles have started (of course, they're still working with MOT to a huge degree and learning a lot). Before Apple can cater to the statistically small number of users who need the power of quad processors, it needs to put its desktop line at a speed that sells - say, around 1.6GHz+.

Gotta crawl before you walk...

S