Apple Watch stars in Elle Australia magazine's styling section

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57

Apple's fast follower has been quiet about its watch plans for a while now and is most likely planning to promote its watches similarly to how Apple is currently doing. I am looking forward to seeing what Samsung attempts to do soon after ?Watch goes on sale.

• Reply 22 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

I think that looking at the watch without the context of wrist, clothing and surroundings is a fool's errand.

Maybe. But I wonder why you never see an ?Watch in that context with a dark face, the way it will normally look on the wrist? It's always brightly illuminated, a condition all but the wearer are normally not going to see.

On the other hand, I believe it's possible to pass judgement on how a watch looks by itself.

• Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

They look like one of those 1970's LED watches that showed the time in red numbers when you pressed the button. 

Yup. There's a potent comparison there ...

• Reply 24 of 57
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

In this thread: A bunch of old nerdy men try to tell each other what's fashionable, fail.

• Reply 25 of 57
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

lets see some proof of your $150k in stock.

a simple screen shot would do.

I think your claims are dubious because looking at your post history you have never said a single postive thing about Apple:

said CarPlay sucks, said iOS sucks, said ApplePay sucks, said the Watch would never sell millions, ect, ect, ect.  

Yet Apple breaks all kind of records and not a single peep from you.

I guess its possible you are just a very negative person.

I did write:

CarPlay is nice, very nice. I just don't see it much and it is usually bundled with the car maker system making it awkward to access (and not very successful yet because car makers are, well, protective). Not having CarPlay is not a dealbreaker when buying a car, but it is a very nice to have.

Apple Pay seems convenient. I just did not feel that one should dismiss other attempts, especially if other attempts MAY lower the cost of transactions. Or at least offer competition. 

iOS sucks? Hmm, need to look that up. I think iOS is OK; it got a bit complicated, lots of settings to play with, but it seems to work fine. Continuity, hm, would be interested to see how many people really start an email on a Mac and then finish it on an iPhone. I use the iPhone / Mac function but it is not reliable, the Mac does not always ring. iOS works fine, but it is not the second coming of Christ, so lets rejoice but know where to stop.

In any case: I like Apple, but  I find it strange how there is such opposition on this forum to things from other firms. And gloating when Apple does well. It is a good company, but so what? As consumers, why do we care whether Apple Pay is better than some other Phone Pay system? Or whether CarPlay is better than Pioneer? I am glad that "a" company comes out with a good product, but which one is less important. And if Samsung ever does become more innovative than Apple, would that really matter? Diners Club was once a great credit card company, then Amex, now Visa. So what?

I am very impressed when I look around a plane and see that 4 out of 5 people have one or more Apple devices, from a corporate strategy perspective, but that's it.

I don't gloat when Mercedes comes out with a self-driving car before Tesla does, I am just glad everyone is working on them. I don't gloat when Frozen does well and some Dreamworks movie doesn't. Why? Because I have nothing to do with those companies, and neither do I with Apple. But can I still opine that Birdman was really boring without being called a troll on IMDB? I think so.

On the Apple watch I feel: its a nice product with good functionality which I am sure many people including me will buy. But it is not the most beautiful watch in the world. All I said is that it was a bit ugly. Not sure why that is trolling..... I am not insulting any individuals, just give an opinion on a product. Just a product.

But fair enough, none of us really know anything, and least of all me, and I am sure the guys at Apple did their homework.

• Reply 26 of 57
    djbetadjbeta Posts: 30member
    I started distance running a year and a half ago and the worst thing is to have to interrupt your run to see who's calling, texting or emailing you. I'm pretty busy and get a lot of incoming "messages." I love that I will be able to monitor who's trying to reach you without pulling out your phone.

I also love that I'll be able to see which song is playing on my wrist. Sounds simple, but I listen to a LOT of new music, and if I hear something I like while I'm running, I don't want to have to pull out my phone to see which song it is.

This will also be great for anyone who commutes to work. No more having to look at your phone when you get a call, text, or email. Just look at your wrist.

I think more men will buy this than women, but, I think more women than we think are not afraid of wearing a slightly chunky watch, especially when a picture of their kid shows up on their wrist when they call mom. Women are pretty tech savvy now that we're in the age of gadgets. Think about it.. how many women would you think would have bought smartphones with 5 inch screens a few years ago? I would have guessed not many. But TONS of women have (and love) their HUGE phones.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Maybe. But I wonder why you never see an ?Watch in that context with a dark face, the way it will normally look on the wrist? It's always brightly illuminated, a condition all but the wearer are normally not going to see.

On the other hand, I believe it's possible to pass judgement on how a watch looks by itself.

I would be proud of that look as well; its the only one that mechanical watch has. No wonder watchmakers go to such lengths to create all kinds of visible mechanisms in their watch designs.

The Apple Watch, on the other hand, is a blank canvas with infinite possibilities to delight, inform, and surprise; almost an entity in itself.

• Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:

Yup. There's a potent comparison there ...

I think the black screen looks almost better than with a watch face on it.... Its quite cool actually (in a retro sort of way, like 50's scandi furniture). I may come around to this thing.

• Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

This ugly watch just can't win.

Apple are aiming it at the female market, but no woman wants to wear identical clothes to her friends; neither does she wish to wear the same watch. In addition, wearing a digital watch is fashion suicide. I would be repelled by a woman wearing one, not attracted to her, not that I'm in the market as a married man.

Please don't tell us women what we want. Major pet peeve.

The watch is more like a handbag than clothes, and believe me, we buy the same clothes at times, if we like what the other is wearing. And we certainly go after the same bags. If we're the bag-carrying type.

Also, we don't put on clothes and accessories solely to attract men. I couldn't care less if a man was attracted or repelled by my watch, Apple or not.

We don't do it for you. At no point in my morning do I put on something and think "Gee, I wonder what the menfolk will think of this."

• Reply 30 of 57
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

I find the watch on the left fracking ugly BTW. You could have least found something more attractive. Also, those are not identical shots at all, lighting is much harsher on the right and obviously photophopped to death to isolate.

• Reply 31 of 57
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Also, those are not identical shots at all, lighting is much harsher on the right and obviously photophopped to death to isolate.

Do you think he was trying to make a fair comparison?
  • Reply 32 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

At least the Sport Watch looks like a fitness tracker, or one of those trendy rubber "support" bands. But it looks even stranger without a face on the most expensive band Apple offers -- the stainless link band:

And I actually think I prefer it without the colored "dot" on the digital crown, as on the Sport model.

it doesnt look strange at all to me -- that looks like a beautiful device, period. as for the screen, i only care about what it looks like when im actually, you know, looking at it. why on earth would i care if it has a dark screen otherwise?

its just an absurd thing that youve chosen to cling to because in your mind its something nobody can argue around. but the argument is very simple -- it doesnt matter what the display looks like when you arent looking at it.

do you care what your iphone looks like its display is off and the device is sitting on a table next to you (visible to others, egads!)? nope. that would be idiotic. just like this is.

• Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

it doesnt look strange at all to me -- that looks like a beautiful device, period. as for the screen, i only care about what it looks like when im actually, you know, looking at it. why on earth would i care if it has a dark screen otherwise?

its just an absurd thing that youve chosen to cling to because in your mind its something nobody can argue around. but the argument is very simple -- it doesnt matter what the display looks like when you arent looking at it.

They do at Apple understand that if you show something often enough, people will learn to like it, even if it is ugly. Case in point:

I am starting to get used to that little ugly Apple thing (in steel, the aluminium one still looks like it came from a candy machine in Blackpool).

• Reply 34 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

They do at Apple understand that if you show something often enough, people will learn to like it. 

or heres another idea -- not everybody is you. and since not everybody is you, it's entirely possible that people other than yourself find it to be an attractive object. want proof? look at your wife -- or your neighbor's wife, or anybody's wife. they arent everybody's cup of tea, but somebody loves each of 'em.

amazing that i have to explain that to seemingly intelligent people on a tech forum, but there ya go...

• Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:

or heres another idea -- not everybody is you. and since not everybody is you, it's entirely possible that people other than yourself find it to be an attractive object. want proof? look at your wife -- or your neighbor's wife, or anybody's wife. they arent everybody's cup of tea, but somebody loves each of 'em.

amazing that i have to explain that to seemingly intelligent people on a tech forum, but there ya go...

Of course it is only my opinion that the Apple Watch is ugly. And the more I see it the less ugly it is. Unlike the Panamera, which is still ugly. Like me, I am definitely ugly. I have never heard another opinion. And like the aluminium version of the Watch; that will probably also always be ugly.

• Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:

I think the black screen looks almost better than with a watch face on it.... Its quite cool actually (in a retro sort of way, like 50's scandi furniture). I may come around to this thing.

It is what it is ... and I'm not sure how it looks much different than this:

retro styling is one thing for a change of pace, but it's another when everyone is wearing the exact same design -- a watch band with a black square face. Homogeny has never been a goal of watch buyers. 

Fashion is a funny thing, people don't like wearing the exact same things as the people around them, and many use it as a way to distinguish themselves. Hopefully the watch bands will be enough for those people. At first it won't be a huge problem because the smart watch is still so limited in its adoption. But eventually, I see it as a potential issue.

• Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:

its just an absurd thing that youve chosen to cling to because in your mind its something nobody can argue around. but the argument is very simple -- it doesnt matter what the display looks like when you arent looking at it. do you care what your iphone looks like its display is off and the device is sitting on a table next to you (visible to others, egads!)? nope. that would be idiotic. just like this is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/fashion/watches-are-rediscovered-by-the-cellphone-generation.html?_r=2

• Reply 38 of 57
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

whine..whine..whine...

Continuing on the false assumption that your opinion matters to anyone troll-jockey?  Must get a lot of that in in your regular life.

• Reply 39 of 57
    rebe1rebe1 Posts: 30member
    Quote:

At least the Sport Watch looks like a fitness tracker, or one of those trendy rubber "support" bands. But it looks even stranger without a face on the most expensive band Apple offers -- the stainless link band:

And I actually think I prefer it without the colored "dot" on the digital crown, as on the Sport model.

Looks great, putting in a pre-order April 10th for that exact combination, and I'm assuming my wrist will see a lot less of my Omega and Tag (not that they've seen much time on my wrist lately).  And no, there was never any thought of buying the ugly Moto360 or the want to be something its not LG.   Oh my fiancée likes it too -- atleast Ben Frost will be repelled by her (or would that be the other way around??).

• Reply 40 of 57
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I think it's smart of Apple to market the watch to women.

Of the people I know, more women than men use iPhones. I'd guess that this is the case for the public at large, that the percentage of women who use iPhones is greater than the percentage of men.

I also think women are more likely to spend the money on the fashionable Apple Watch, than men are likely to spend the money on the Apple smart Watch.