Apple outs wireless keyboard refresh on Czech store, could include backlight

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2015
Apple looks set to update its venerable wireless keyboard, with the aluminum slab appearing on the company's Czech online store with a tweaked layout and altered function keys that could indicate plans to add backlighting in the next version.

At press time, the Czech-language version appears with a new power key in place of the eject key, an overdue change now that the only Apple product that ships with a disc drive is the legacy non-Retina 13-inch MacBook Pro. Czech blog Letemsvetemapplem was first to notice the update.

Additionally, the F5 and F6 keys --?which are blank on the current generation --?appear with the same keyboard illumination illustrations found on Apple's laptops. That could mean that the new keyboard will come with backlighting, or it could simply be designed to make the wireless keyboard match exactly with the built-in models.

The text description remains the same, so it is unclear whether Apple has any other changes in store. The all-new MacBook boasts new "butterfly" style key switches in place of the older "scissor" versions, but it remains to be seen if Apple will eventually propagate that new design across its lineup.

Apple last updated the wireless keyboard in 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Power button will be nice if it works on "docked" (lid-closed) MacBook Pro's.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    I'll probably be chastised for asking this, but why still no numeric keypad option? There are plenty of times when I could use that and would prefer not to have a wired keyboard, or to pay another $40 for a separate bluetooth numeric keypad.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Is this called a QWERTZ keyboard? /s

I never realized how different European key layout was.

I need a new key board for one of my older iMacs that has a sticky key so this is good timing. I was thinking of buying one soon so now I'll just wait.

• Reply 4 of 73
    runbuh wrote: »
    Power button will be nice if it works on "docked" (lid-closed) MacBook Pro's.

True...but, but, but how will you access it with the lid closed???
  • Reply 5 of 73
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I'll probably be chastised for asking this, but why still no numeric keypad option? There are plenty of times when I could use that and would prefer not to have a wired keyboard, or to pay another $40 for a separate bluetooth numeric keypad.

Agreed!

• Reply 6 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    djames4242 wrote: »

Agree. It's the reason I continue to use my wired keyboard instead of the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, which sits idle on my shelf.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

And how about enlarging the left/right arrow keys like on the new MacBook?

• Reply 8 of 73
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't really care about any new keyboard.

Where is my new force touch Magic Trackpad? Now, that is something that should be available for sale soon, and hopefully Apple is on top of things.

• Reply 9 of 73
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

The fact that there is still no wireless keyboard with a numeric keypad is beyond ludicrous.

• Reply 10 of 73
    How 'bout a wireless keyboard with built-in trackpad? That's what I really want.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    How 'bout a wireless keyboard with built-in trackpad? That's what I really want.

Would be nice to have 10-key entry on the right and the Magic Trackpad on the left in one unit, or as attachable to the keyboard.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Sure would like arrow keys on my iOS screen keyboards.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple last updated the wireless keyboard in 2007.

That's not entirely true. In 2009, the number of AA batteries required for operation was reduced from three to two. In 2011, a couple of key labels changed.

• Reply 14 of 73
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    If there's a backlit revision and the keys aren't black, that would be insane:

- Macs haven't been white for years. They all have black trim.

- Backlighting always improves visibility against black keys. Against white keys, it sometimes REDUCES visibility.
  • Reply 15 of 73

Hoping for a gold keyboard and trackpad to match the new gold iMac!

You heard it here first! :)

Best.

• Reply 16 of 73
    mike1 wrote: »
    The fact that there is still no wireless keyboard with a numeric keypad is beyond ludicrous.

x6.

Why? Why? Why, Apple?

Let's face it, it's because they're too up themselves, or more accurately, Ive is too up himself. Apple at their worst.

We'll probably all go to the grave wondering if Apple will bring out a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    gerry ggerry g Posts: 39member
    power button on wireless keyboard, really !!, early April fools joke ?, no there would have to have been a numeric pad too, Apple never gives the consumer what they want only what it thinks they aught to have, it knows they're too stupid to think for themselves
  • Reply 18 of 73
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    I would love a (wired) keyboard with a power key. Haven't had that since my first Mac (clone) Radius 81/110! So convenient, especially if your computer is built into a rack of some sort.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    To power up, wouldn't they need some sort of BT driver still running even though the computer was technically turned off? 
  • Reply 20 of 73
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Butterfly Keys and Backlight would be a nice upgrade. I'd buy one.

Force Touch Magic Trackpad next would be nice as well.