Apple's new Apple Pay acceptance decal kits raise customer awareness at participating merchants

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Apple recently activated a program allowing merchants to order Apple Pay decal kits to dress up shop windows and registers, which raises customer awareness of where Apple's payment service is accepted.

Apple Pay decal kits, which include two sizes each of glass and register decals and an application tool, are now available to order through Apple's Merchant Supplies website. The kits are free, though shop owners needing more than five are instructed to place their order by calling a special toll free phone number.

In an accompanying Payment mark Guidelines document, Apple suggests retailers display the decals prominently in store windows or glass doors to advertise Apple Pay compatibility to passersby and customers. Instructions recommend positioning the Apple Pay mark at least 50 inches off the ground and first among an arrangement of other payment acceptance marks.

The document goes on to outline digital design principles for point-of-sale terminal screens, online advertising and company websites.

The decal kit is another building block in Apple's nascent mobile payments rollout that first saw activation on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus devices in October.

A recent study polling iPhone 6 owners found only six percent of users tried the NFC version of Apple Pay, while another 85 percent have never even played with the service. Nine percent of respondents said they experimented, but forgot how to use it when making a purchase or didn't know where it was accepted. Apple's new decals are designed to address the latter.

Apple is slowly adding to a running list of merchants that support Apple Pay and earlier this month announced 14 new partners including Jamba Juice and Office Max.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I want an Apple Pay t-shirt.  :p  "Apple Pay Me!"

• Reply 2 of 65
    About time for this, Apple went to the trouble of advertising for these companies its about time they did they same.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    normangnormang Posts: 118member
    How do you forget how to use it.. it could not be simpler
  • Reply 4 of 65
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

About time for this, Apple went to the trouble of advertising for these companies its about time they did they same.

Many of the companies had Apple Pay logos on their payment terminals even before Apple Pay even launched.

• Reply 5 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

It begins. This’ll be the new norm.

Originally Posted by normang View Post

The same way morons still call it “MAC” and “iTouch”.

• Reply 6 of 65

this is where it gets very confusing for Americans and hence the poor adoption of using mobile nfc payments instead of traditional cards

apple pay is not a system or merchant services they don't run their own payment networks or gateways

when your paying with an iphone your paying with MasterCard visa or American express the very same nfc technology put in you plastic bank card is in the iphone apple don't do anything special

the only thing that needs to be advertise on shop windows is that shops accept mastercards visas and amexs paywave paypass and expresspay payments

users need to be educated that if you add an Amex and the merchant dosnt accept expresspay apple pay isant going to help you as you cant pay with apple pay you pay with the card that you selected

as one McDonalds employee said you cant pay with apples

• Reply 7 of 65
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I haven't seen this idea mentioned yet, but how about we all order our own free stickers (seems to be up to 5 per address) and then 1) place them on the windows of establishments that we know accept ?Pay, or 2) give stickers to those establishments. I honestly don't see why Apple would care if we did the work for them, and from our PoV it wouldn't be for Apple so much as it would be for growing the convenience and security of ?Pay, by wanting to see its usage increase more quickly in order to get more merchants involved with accepting this superior standard, for [I]our[/I] benefit.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/56944/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

[LIST][*] https://www.applepaysupplies.com/applepaykit.html
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 8 of 65
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    normang wrote: »

"03/21/15 0723hrs a resident on E Overlook reported a vehicle was in her driveway blocking her vehicles in the driveway and she doesn’t know who it belongs to. The vehicle registration returned to her son who also resides at the home. The caller did not recognize the vehicle due to the angle it was parked at."
  • Reply 9 of 65
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I want an Apple Pay t-shirt.  :p   "Apple Pay Me!"

That's another route they could go down is easy ways of funding things. They can have special ?Pay codes for charities and things that are approved by Apple. An organisation would apply to Apple like Breast Cancer Research and Apple would have a code that you enter into ?Pay and just press the scanner to make a donation and it goes right to the charity's bank and can't be scammed online because only codes/organisations approved by Apple would work. This could work for Kickstarter and IndieGoGo too.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Why the hell isn't Apple pay available in countries where PayWave is ubiquitous?
  • Reply 11 of 65
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

I wish someone at Apple would contact Home Depot and help them properly program their system. I've used Apple Pay at different locations and some require a signature while others don't. The cashiers are surprised when I'm able to use Apple Pay, which shows they haven't been told it even works. Home Depot's servers were hacked and they still don't know what's going on with their POS terminals (point of sale). It's not just the users that need to be educated, it's the stores.

• Reply 12 of 65
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Why the hell isn't Apple pay available in countries where PayWave is ubiquitous?

Because Apple Pay is more than just the NFC connection, it's the secure connection between the iPhone, credit card company, and bank and non-US banks and credit cards have been approved yet. Doing it right takes more effort than just throwing it out there and collecting money along with major problems. Other than the problems caused by the banks lack of a stringent credit card approval process, I don't believe I've heard of any Apple Pay problems. This is how something that deals with our money is supposed to be rolled out.

Give it time to do it right the first time.

• Reply 13 of 65
    This decal program is very important, IMHO.

Apple faced a chicken-and-egg problem with Apple Pay, building a critical mass of two communities: (1) banks and (2) merchants. While they had a decent number of high-profile merchants at launch, their strategy seems to have focused on the BANKS during the first six months. Now that a large number of banks are on board, Apple can begin also focusing their attention on the MERCHANTS. This includes building public awareness of merchants who already support Apple Pay.

Good strategy and execution, in my opinion.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    I see a war of the stickers coming. CurrenC, S-Pay, Google Wallet, Square Cash, BitCoin, and PayScam.
  • Reply 15 of 65

It follows the same rules that other tap and pay cards have...if your purchase is above either $25 or $50, you have to sign.

• Reply 16 of 65
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    rob53 wrote: »
    I wish someone at Apple would contact Home Depot and help them properly program their system. I've used Apple Pay at different locations and some require a signature while others don't. The cashiers are surprised when I'm able to use Apple Pay, which shows they haven't been told it even works. Home Depot's servers were hacked and they still don't know what's going on with their POS terminals (point of sale). It's not just the users that need to be educated, it's the stores.

Did the dollar amounts perhaps impact the signature requirement (lower dollar amounts did not require a signature)? I've only made some larger purchases at Staples (over $30.00) and they have required a signature every time. I haven't tried a lower dollar amount at Staples, but the signature requirement is irritating.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Ironic that a company that doesn't like decals on their devices wants their decals on other manufacturers' devices.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I haven't seen this idea mentioned yet, but how about we all order our own stickers (seems to be up to 5 per address) and then 1) place them on the windows of establishments that we know accept ?Pay, or 2) give stickers to those establishments. I honestly don't see why Apple would care if we did the work for them, and from out PoV it wouldn't be for Apple so much as it would be for growing the convenience and security of ?Pay, by wanting to see its usage increase more quickly in order to get more merchants involved with accepting this superior standard.

Back in the day when Apple was "beleaguered" and I was a member of Guy Kawasaki's Apple EvangeList, this is exactly the kind of guerrilla marketing that Apple fostered. Let the pirate flag wave once again!
  • Reply 19 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    YES.

I've been waiting for this subject to be mentioned so I can say:

I hate how Giggle and softcard are leeching off Apples success.

Terminals that used to only display "?Pay" onscreen now display "Wallet, ?Pay, softcard" it's looking cluttered and annoying. Even unnecessary.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I use it whenever I can, and find that I am lured to stores and make purchases I otherwise wouldn't because of both the novelty factor, and because as an Apple stockholder I feel it's in my self-interest. In addition, I do it because it's one less port left open to steal my identity. Merchants and corporations need to know this-- how about a commercial aimed at them that depicts this phenomenon?