Apple's new Apple Pay acceptance decal kits raise customer awareness at participating merchants

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    cali wrote: »
    YES.

I've been waiting for this subject to be mentioned so I can say:

I hate how Giggle and softcard are leeching off Apples success.

Terminals that used to only display "?Pay" onscreen now display "Wallet, ?Pay, softcard" it's looking cluttered and annoying. Even unnecessary.

I don't follow. Google Wallet and Softcard were active well before ?Pay so those NFC-capable terminals would have supported those services and ?Pay would have simply worked for those vendors that supported NFC.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    wiscalwiscal Posts: 2member
    Since I have started using Apple Pay in November, I have helped to train checkers at Subway, Panera, Home Depot (one who insisted they didn't take Apple Pay until showed her), Chevron (in store only), Peet"s, and Walgreens. I have identified one terminal at our Walgreens that is erratic regarding taking Apple Pay and point that out to them each time I go in to buy something using any other terminal. I also use Apple Pay to refill my Starbuck's card.

I have informed Lowes and CVS via their websites that I won't shop at their stores until they start taking Apple Pay which they were set up to do until they shut it off. Did get an email back from CVS thanking me for my input.

I also called Wells Fargo and asked my why they did credit me the $20 they advertised in a promotion in the first month or so. A small item, but not good follow through on their part.

I am wondering what others experiences have been.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I don't follow. Google Wallet and Softcard were active well before ?Pay so those NFC-capable terminals would have supported those services and ?Pay would have simply worked for those vendors that supported NFC.

You don't follow.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Ironic that a company that doesn't like decals on their devices wants their decals on other manufacturers' devices.

• Reply 25 of 65
    You don't follow.

Then you wouldn't mind catching me up on all these terminals that only displayed "?Pay" for the last 6(?) months that are now saying "Wallet, ?Pay, softcard" because of these leeches that are now copying(?) Apple?
  • Reply 26 of 65

I think it's clear he's referring to other vendor's logos on their products, not personalized stickers.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

When in the States I use it at Home Depot and Sprouts a couple times a week. I can't say the same about all Apple products, but, ?Pay definitely  just works. I see a lot of people using it at Sprouts, not so much at HD.

• Reply 28 of 65
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I haven't seen this idea mentioned yet, but how about we all order our own free stickers (seems to be up to 5 per address) and then 1) place them on the windows of establishments that we know accept ?Pay, or 2) give stickers to those establishments. I honestly don't see why Apple would care if we did the work for them, and from our PoV it wouldn't be for Apple so much as it would be for growing the convenience and security of ?Pay, by wanting to see its usage increase more quickly in order to get more merchants involved with accepting this superior standard.
    Well, if Samsung were doing something like that, my first impulse would be to post SamsungPay stickers on stores that don't support it. That would turn the merchants and the consumers against Samsung when confusion and irritability reign at the register.

Now, I would be too mature to actually do that, but I imagine others out there who would not be.

In the old "guerrilla marketing" days Apple had little to lose. Nowadays, you just _know_ that Stickergate would rule the Internets for a month...
  • Reply 29 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Personalization don't count.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

No - watch this one:
  • Reply 31 of 65
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    YES.

Terminals that used to only display "?Pay" onscreen now display "Wallet, ?Pay, softcard" it's looking cluttered and annoying. Even unnecessary.

Umm, Giggle has been leaching off Apple's success ever since the iPhone was first released. Why expect anything different?
  • Reply 32 of 65
    runbuh wrote: »
    No - watch this one:

"We like or own stickers better." — Steve Jobs, circa 2007

Can't argue with that. Plus, if we're talking about are used an ?Pay sticker on the outside of a building compared to the outside of a Mac is quite different. Even we only count the front facing facade of a building that's a much smaller eyesore than placing an Intel and AMD or Nvidia sticker on Macs.

400 400
  • Reply 33 of 65
    bageljoey wrote: »
    Well, if Samsung were doing something like that, my first impulse would be to post SamsungPay stickers on stores that don't support it. That would turn the merchants and the consumers against Samsung when confusion and irritability reign at the register.

Now, I would be too mature to actually do that, but I imagine others out there who would not be.

In the old "guerrilla marketing" days Apple had little to lose. Nowadays, you just _know_ that Stickergate would rule the Internets for a month...

You mean if Samsung were giving away stickers or if you saw Samsung Pay stickers on establishments? Frankly, I am all for any all attention that helps get NFC-based payments more in use which will hopefully get more merchants to accept NFC-based payments. Apple's solution is, by far, the more convenience and safest in and of itself, but it's only truly safe for the customer if we can stop carrying our physical cards with us, hence my desire to see an increase in adoption rates.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I like how they subtly suggest that you put the ?Pay decal first, and with a bigger sticker than all the alternatives  8-)  

• Reply 35 of 65
    Is BF going to say how Apple has no confidence in ?Pay because Apple has resorting to advertising?
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

All it needs is a logo of a cute green trashcan with eyes.

• Reply 37 of 65
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    You mean if Samsung were giving away stickers or if you saw Samsung Pay stickers on establishments? Frankly, I am all for any all attention that helps get NFC-based payments more in use which will hopefully get more merchants to accept NFC-based payments. Apple's solution is, by far, the more convenience and safest in and of itself, but it's only truly safe for the customer if we can stop carrying our physical cards with us, hence my desire to see an increase in adoption rates.
    I guess I wasn't clear.
    I'm sure Apple doesn't want to send out stickers to the general public to post on establishments that support ApplePay because: think of the headache when yahoos post stickers on non supporting stores. I am quite sure there would be more confusion created than cleared up by this solution.

17, hate Apple, and bored? Put some Apple Pay stickers around town--on a mom-n-pop shop that doesn't take credit cards; on a public toilet; on a BestBuy door. LOLZ!!
  • Reply 38 of 65
    YES.

He's perhaps implying that no one really bothered to use them much until ApplePay came along, and that they're now free-riding on Apple-induced awareness.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    He's perhaps implying that no one really bothered to use them much until ApplePay came along, and that they're now free-riding on Apple-induced awareness.

Ah, that's surely happening. MXC didn't have their CurrentC clients put the kibosh on NFC payments until ?Pay made waves, and we've seen how the iPhone's existance caused an upswing with Palm and Blackberry sales. But this is a good thing for the future of secure payments, even if others aren't yet taking the same steps to ensure a more secure transaction for customers.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I haven't seen this idea mentioned yet, but how about we all order our own free stickers (seems to be up to 5 per address) and then 1) place them on the windows of establishments that we know accept ?Pay, or 2) give stickers to those establishments. I honestly don't see why Apple would care if we did the work for them, and from our PoV it wouldn't be for Apple so much as it would be for growing the convenience and security of ?Pay, by wanting to see its usage increase more quickly in order to get more merchants involved with accepting this superior standard.

Brilliant idea. I've followed you and ordered 5 kits (max allowed)