DOJ could force Comcast to offer NBCUniversal content for Apple's Web television service

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

put them in a position where they can dictate prices on the market.

They’re already in that position. The FCC controls prices and they control the FCC.

• Reply 42 of 47

Take down Comcast... I am tired of their cable offering! I want to see what I actually subscribe to - not a bunch of channels I don't. PERIOD.

• Reply 43 of 47

If they were to uphold data caps, that would be the day that I don't use ANY cable TV or similar service.  There are better things to do with one's time and money. 

• Reply 44 of 47
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Broadcast TV (NBC) is a utility.  All our tax dollars paid for that infrastructure.  Those should be available to all who can pay for it.

No, our tax dollars didn't pay for that infrastructure (if anything, our tax dollars paid for the predecessor to the web, Arpanet), since the only infrastructure aside from the studios is the transmitters and towers, which are privately owned, BUT the airwaves (supposedly) belong to the American public and over-the-air broadcasters (which Comcast is via the NBC network and the company owned and operated stations) have always had special rules because of that, such as having to operate in the public interest.

There are special rules for OTA networks, which is one of the reasons why FOX essentially only operates from 8 to 10pm.  If they extended programming to 11pm and broadcast the news at 11pm instead of 10pm, they would be considered a full-fledged network and a bunch of other rules would kick in, which FOX wants to avoid. 

Comcast can be forced to provide content for Apple's TV service precisely because they're a cable company/web provider that merged with a broadcaster and this was the price for the DOJ permitting that to happen.    And let's not forget that Comcast is still trying to merge with Time-Warner Cable, giving them even more of a monopoly.    Other networks, those who don't own cable systems are under no such restriction and as a result, there have been disputes between the networks and cable networks that have resulted in the removal of some channels from those cable companies.   I've read recently of some cable systems that no longer carry CBS-owned cable channels, such as Showtime.   

• Reply 45 of 47
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They’re already in that position. The FCC controls prices and they control the FCC.

Really?  The FCC controls the price of your cable bill?   Then why do they keep going up?   The FCC controls no such thing.   Cable bill prices are totally free market.    

• Reply 46 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

The FCC controls the price of your cable bill? Then why do they keep going up?

What kind of nonsensical “logic” is that?

Cable bill prices are totally free market.    

They’re absolutely not free market.