iOS 8.3 allows users to turn off password requirement for free App Store downloads

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Apple's pre-release betas of iOS 8.3 include an option to disable password entry when downloading free applications from the App Store, removing a potential inconvenience for users.

With the latest betas of iOS 8.3, users can open the Settings application and navigate to the "iTunes & App Store" options. There, a new menu called "Password Settings" can be seen underneath the Apple ID entry.

From there, Apple has included a section called "Free Downloads," with the password requirement enabled by default. Though the setting is currently greyed out in iOS 8.3 beta 4, presumably it will become available when the software ships to users, allowing them to download free software without a password entry or Touch ID verification.

The Password Settings section also houses the controls for standard purchases and in-app purchases. Here users can choose to always require a password for purchases, or to allow a 15-minute window in which multiple items can be bought.

New betas of iOS 8.3, both for developers and public testers, were issued on Tuesday. It's expected that iOS 8.3 will become available before the launch of the Apple Watch next month, on April 24.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    One of the first setting changes I will do. Love it.

Of course this feature will be turned OFF for my son.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

One of the first setting changes I will do. Love it.

Of course this feature will be turned OFF for my son.

Someone will file a lawsuit because something was downloaded by their child...blah blah blah...

• Reply 3 of 25

This is a good change.

I would also like to not need to enter a password in order to write a review, or to at least be able to use Touch ID.

• Reply 4 of 25
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Someone will file a lawsuit because something was downloaded by their child...blah blah blah...

Exactly right!  What's the default delay for needing a Password, 15 minutes?  I think Apple Default should be Password for everything and No password Delay once entering a Password.  Apple can't leave anything to be sued over!!!!  The person has to manually change those setting themselves.   Then it's on them!!!!  We already have the whole GET thing to Get a App instead of FREE.    Then again, no matter what Apple does, there will be someone to sue over something anyway.    I say make it harder and you can then advertising, a iOS Tip whatever to show how to make things easier if YOU want to do that.    Make it hard up front and then there's zero excuses for refunds on dumb freemium stuff your kid  supposedly did on your phone!!!  I don't really think it's such a big deal with TouchID anyway.  Hell you can turn off simple passwords and put a real password in that is much harder to guess.  Doesn't matter with Touch ID.  Only have to enter it a few times.

• Reply 5 of 25

This is well overdue! Most users, speaking for myself, initially download free apps, and I'd wager that many more free apps get trialled by users than paid apps, and this logging-in rigamarole has been a nuisance! Furthermore, if an app is FREE, and you don't need to log in to download it, then you also don't need to worry about accidental in-app purchases, because you'll be prompted to enter your password, thus tipping you off.  Most excellent, Thank-you Apple!

• Reply 6 of 25
    I hope this option will be working in the family sharing feature. Family sharing can tell me that my child has download a free app without waiting my approbation.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Let's see... Little Billie, who is more device savvy than his parents, navigates to the "iTunes & App Store" options. There, a new menu called "Password Settings" can be seen underneath the Apple ID entry. He switches the button to not need a password for free apps. While he's there he also changes the setting for "Purchases and In-App Purchases from "Always Require" to "Require after 15 minutes." These can always be returned to their original position once the situation around the house heats up...

?????
    Profit.
  • Reply 8 of 25

Hope this will be available with the family sharing feature . I  mean for my child, to be able to download free app without waiting my approbation. I can receive the notification thought to know what they download.

• Reply 9 of 25
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Will Apple do the same of OS X? Let's hope so.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I always wondered why I had to verify my account when I wasn't actually paying for anything...

That was before I knew security absolutely had to be taken seriously.

Now I'm not sure I'll take advantage of the change after all.

• Reply 11 of 25
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Ever since Touch ID, it hasn't really been an issue for me.

• Reply 12 of 25
    This is a good change.

I would also like to not need to enter a password in order to write a review, or to at least be able to use Touch ID.

Oh how I feel your pain. I've been hoping for this for a while now. A major irritant.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    zerguszergus Posts: 1member
    So... when will be able to set the default browser?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    This is a good change.

Oh how I feel your pain. I've been hoping for this for a while now. A major irritant.

Another small gripe:

On the iPhone, when an app is updated, if you tap its icon in the Updates tab, it takes you to the app page where you can write a review. But on the iPad, tapping the icon does nothing, so if you want to write a review, you have to search for the app! Bizarre and unnecessary. It's one of those annoying Apple things. They make this amazing hardware, yet seem to leave basic things like that unfixed for years. It makes you wonder if anyone at Apple actually uses Apple products. The lack of a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad is another.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    This is a good change.

It's crazy, isn't it?

The App Store knows if you own an app, so why does it need you to enter your password to write a review for the owned app?! Ridiculous.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    This is of course not live in 8.3 beta, and was discovered by a user digging through the beta.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    LONG OVERDUE!
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is of course not live in 8.3 beta, and was discovered by a user digging through the beta.

AI couldn't be bothered with that detail when copying the article from other sites. Has this site ever published an original work?

I can understand your gripe. However, AI does publish original work - their reviews, their editorials and Campus 2 flyovers.

• Reply 19 of 25
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    icoco3 wrote: »

Cue malware writers...

Honestly this is a good thing for devices that aren't shared... because it de-trains people from just entering their password every time they see it, so now they are only asked when they are going to be charged for it something.

For devices that are shared or are given to students/kids, yes, keep the password.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    A few things I've noticed...
    - the setting is there but the switch doesn't work
    - the entire password options section disappears once you enable touchID for the store