Netflix flips switch on streaming services in Australia and New Zealand, lands on Apple TV

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    Welcome to 'binge watching' ;) It's not the movies we love, it's finding TV series we never saw. No ads, end to end ... years and years worth in a few weeks or even days. Better yet the wife can watch the stuff she likes and I can watch the good stuff (hehe) at the same time.

Yes definitely. I've had acces to US Netflix for over a year now and between that and the occasional iTunes rental/purchase I very rarely watch regular television. You really get accustomed to ad free viewing and I doubt I could ever go back now.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    Indeed, especially shows produced by Netflix, most notably House of Cards, and Orange Is The New Black
    Prior to Netflix launching here in Australia those shows could only be legally/easily watched in Fox (requiring an expensive cable subscription) or purchasing from ITunes usually for at least $3 per episode with no discount for a full season. This was all due to Fox having the exclusive rights to those shows here.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member

Netflix is going to be nothing but a massive game changer for New Zealand TV and in reality the biggest loser is going to be Sky TV which is great because Rupert Murdoch is a dumb Aussie twat (no offense to Australia intended)

We usually try and claim any notable New Zealander as our own if they've even so much as spent a week on vacation here. Don't suppose you would be interested in taking Rupert as a trade? ????
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

How can we blame Sky and TVNZ when we have had Quickflix for ages, Lightbox for a while, and that joke of a SkyTV Neon. There was nothing stopping Apple getting rights to sell online copies of TV Shows in NZ, they just haven't bothered to do it. You don't see SkyTV trying to block DVD and Blu-ray sales.

Personally I haven't used a NZ TV on demand site for years, especially TVNZ since the killed the PS3 app and haven't replaced it. Netflix, Hulu and Plex work fine on my Fire TV's

Because Quickflix was in part originally sponsored by TVNZ until they went their own way

• Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think you just insulted twats though! image

I humbly and profusely apologise to all twats out there. It was very mean spirited of me putting you on the same level as as Rupert Murdoch.

I would say that Murdoch was Satan embodied but the scriptures say that God stopped the demons and Satan from doing that so I guess Murdoch is just Satan's puppet... I mean he does have his head up his butt so what's a hand or two as well eh? ;-)

• Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolliver View Post

We usually try and claim any notable New Zealander as our own if they've even so much as spent a week on vacation here. Don't suppose you would be interested in taking Rupert as a trade? ????

Only if you can relax the laws on us bringing in dirt.

• Reply 26 of 30
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

Because Quickflix was in part originally sponsored by TVNZ until they went their own way

When was Quickflix sponsored by TVNZ? They have always been owned by Quickflix Aussie. TVNZ was into that Igloo thing, and they have some involvement with Tivo (both of which have been bad financial investment for them)
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

When was Quickflix sponsored by TVNZ? They have always been owned by Quickflix Aussie. TVNZ was into that Igloo thing, and they have some involvement with Tivo (both of which have been bad financial investment for them)

Quickflix was originally an initiative between NZ Post and TVNZ to take on Fatso but it never got the uptake it deserved and was sold off and bought by an Australian company and became what it is now.

TVNZ and Sky are claiming prior contracts on TV shows which is why it's so difficult for Apple to get TV shows into iTunes NZ. Even TV3 (MediaWorks) has got in on the act and made it difficult. But with Netflix being a contract provider I suspect they will pave the way for Apple to get in and I hope it's soon.

• Reply 28 of 30
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quickflix was originally an initiative between NZ Post and TVNZ to take on Fatso but it never got the uptake it deserved and was sold off and bought by an Australian company and became what it is now.

So postage DVD's, the company that you are talking about had nothing to do with streaming until they were purchased by Quickflix?

Also, have you got a link to the nz post/tvnz thing that they tried to start, google isn't working that well today

TVNZ and Sky are claiming prior contracts on TV shows which is why it's so difficult for Apple to get TV shows into iTunes NZ. Even TV3 (MediaWorks) has got in on the act and made it difficult. But with Netflix being a contract provider I suspect they will pave the way for Apple to get in and I hope it's soon.

They must have the streaming rights then, or the rights for online digital sales, that is no different than the likes of Netflix getting exclusion rights. But Sky and TVNZ don't have the rights to all shows, or the exclusive rights to all shows, there are number of shows that haven't been available here until the likes of Lightbox/Netflix arrived, yet Apple didn't try to get these? I think you will find Apple didn't want the effort of getting into TV sales/rentals in a very small market
  • Reply 29 of 30
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The traditional cable providers...

There is only one, Rupert Murdoch's Foxtel partnership with Telstra.

He used his newspapers to influence an election which saw the rollout of fibre to the premises cancelled and replaced with inferior fibre to the node, copper to the home.

Let's see you stream 4k over that.

I'll stick with the US version.

• Reply 30 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Let's see you stream 4k over that.

I think you probably could. In the Playback Settings on Netflix it says Ultra HD is 7GB per hour. Presuming that figure includes headers and other overhead, converting it to bits per second is:

(7 * 1024 * 1024 * 8) / (60*60) = 16,311 bits per second

An ADSL2+ connection close to the exchange can get 20-23 mbit/s and that's what FTTN essentially does, give you an exchange (the node) close by.

Personally I am in the part of the NBN that will be served by the HFC cables, so hoping for something more like 100 mbit/s. If you are in an FTTN area, and you have the money, I believe that once FTTN is set up, you can pay individually to have the fibre run all the way to your house.