Yet another outage hits Apple's App Store & iTunes, preventing searches, discovery & downloads

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2015
Apple's cloud-based woes continue to reappear, with a major outage hitting the App Store, iTunes Store and other digital storefronts on Wednesday, seemingly affecting users around the world and preventing them from searching for and downloading apps or other content [updated].

The outage prevented users from searching for anything, simply returning an error saying there are no results for the query. It affected the iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store.

Update: By early Wednesday afternoon, the issues were fixed.

Discovery was also affected, with the "Featured" menu missing graphics and links or some apps under various categories. The "Top Charts" was affected as well, with the "Paid" and "Top Grossing" categories displaying the error "No Top Charts Content Available."

Attempts to search on the Mac App Store simply failed to return results, with an error saying it could not connect. There were also errors on the "Featured" page, though the "Top Charts" do load for Mac apps.

In the event that a user could view a particular app listing, attempts to download also failed.

Once again, Apple's own System Status page incorrectly claimed that the App Store remained online with no issues. However, tests from multiple locations and devices revealed the outage was widespread.

The latest snafu comes just a few weeks after an outage on the iTunes Store and App Store lasted for more than 7 hours. The lengthy downtime seen earlier this month prompted Apple to issue an apology, blaming the problem on an "internal DNS error."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Wasn't the last one on a Wednesday?

The plot thickens. North Korea?
  • Reply 2 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I can browse but cannot search nor update. I'm in Canada.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    UK Stores seem fine.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    I was able to download a few apps without issues here in Toronto Canada just now 11.28am ET
  • Reply 5 of 50

Works fine for me...

• Reply 6 of 50

I just dowloaded some apps here in Toronto , Canada ;)

• Reply 7 of 50
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Everything's fine on my end.

Hell I just used Spotlight to get here.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Works fine for me...

Quote:

The outage on Thursday...

Either they are talking about Japan where is it currently Thursday or this is a message from the future.

• Reply 9 of 50
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    SG App Stores and iTunes Store are fine here. Able to download app updates, update iTunes Match, search in Mac App Store and iTunes Store.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Are rumors like this contributing to the stock being pummeled?
  • Reply 11 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    As of at least 11:36 EST, about 10 minutes ago, it was fixed.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

EDT not that it matters. Crazy daylight saving time. Dumb.

• Reply 13 of 50
    Only the front page of the Mac App Store was loading for me for about an hour there, the rest giving Internal Server Error messages, but that has cleared up for me since.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Downing loading app updates inside iTunes just worked for me. The problem is either spotty or being fixed.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    mstone wrote: »
    gatorguy wrote: »

EDT not that it matters. Crazy daylight saving time. Dumb.

More of a night owl, eh?
  • Reply 16 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Are rumors like this contributing to the stock being pummeled?
    The market as a whole is on a downward slide today.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The market as a whole is on a downward slide today.

Wonderful. /s
  • Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

More of a night owl, eh?

No. I wake up automatically at sunrise when the birds start chirping, regardless of the time.

• Reply 19 of 50
    mstone wrote: »
    More of a night owl, eh?

No. I wake up automatically at sunrise when the birds start chirping, regardless of the time.

So what difference does it make to you whether the clock is an hour ahead or not?
  • Reply 20 of 50
    mykemmykem Posts: 33member
    No problem downloading from the Canadian App Store.