Apple reportedly puts Trent Reznor in charge of redesigned Beats Music app, presses forward with iTu

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    faulty web app on ipad.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    faulty web app on ipad.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    9secondko wrote: »
    Reznor ando Lovine working hard. So what's Andre Young doing?

Cashing checks?

And dealing drugs, I imagine.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    faulty web app on ipad.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    faulty web app on ipad.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    At least his Downward Spiral album was good - now let's just hope the name Beats disappear from the Apple universe.

What did Beats ever do to you? Have you even TRIED one of their recent / current products??? They're actually very good! Sure, there's better options, but they are no where NEAR as bad as their first or second generation products were...
  • Reply 27 of 40
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    faulty web app on ipad.

Having a case of broken record? :) j/k
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Likewise. How about just pay attention to the top complaints about iTunes and solve those first.

Last I heard, Apple was kinda just leaving iTunes to the wind. It's gotten unwieldy but I don't think anyone wants to break functionality out. I'm not even sure where you'd start.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Last I heard, Apple was kinda just leaving iTunes to the wind.

Despite the quirks and bugs I've experienced with Home Sharing — how I mostly use it — since 12.0, I'm very much a fan of the UI changes. I don't see anything that indicates they're letting it drift aimlessly. In fact, I expect it to support H.265 later this year.

PS: I've never been a big fan of the "every little thing needs to its own app" movement. I'm not a fan of that with the Podcast, Music and Videos apps on iOS, and think on the Mac it would be confusing for many users.

I also haven't been a big fan of pulling syncing from iTunes, but now that it appears OTA is the most common way in which iDevices are synced I would now like to see that removed to a syncing and updating-onoy utility. Right now, if you do an restore of an iPhone your entire iTunes apps is taken over for a part of that install so you can't casually enjoy that media via iTunes, which is kludgy, IMO.

Additionally, it was Cook or Jobs saying years ago that the Mac/WinPC via iTunes is no longer the digital media hub, and yet it's 2015 and we still don't have a proper digital media hub from Apple. I have created my own inelegant solution using an external RAID via USB 3.0 and a Mac mini whose sole purpose is to run iTunes for the home. This is my digital media hub. The problem is that when using this from another Mac's iTunes account you have to access that Home Sharing account and then access the files. This takes too many steps. I'd at least like to see an app that simply pops up this Home Sharing device's iTunes Library and updates its play counts accordingly, and has a local Library for that remote user so it can keep track of the files you've played.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

Reznor is a great choice.  He's a mac fan from way back, has a great aesthetic.  So long as he isn't programming the thing I think he'll be a good influence.

• Reply 31 of 40
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Make it.

...then sell it.  :smokey:

• Reply 32 of 40
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Despite the quirks and bugs I've experienced with Home Sharing — how I mostly use it — since 12.0, I'm very much a fan of how the UI changes they made to how content is displayed. I don't see anything that indicates they're letting it drift aimlessly. In fact, I expect it to support H.265 later this year.

PS: I've never been a big fan of the "every little thing needs to its own app" movement. I'm not a fan of that with the Podcast, Music and Videos apps on iOS, and think on the Mac it would be confusing for many users.

I also haven't been a big fan of pulling syncing from iTunes, but now that it appears OTA is the most common way in which iDevices are synced I would now like to see that removed to a syncing and updating-onoy utility. Right now, if you do an restore of an iPhone your entire iTunes apps is taken over for a part of that install so you can't casually enjoy that media via iTunes, which is kludgy, IMO.

Additionally, it was Cook or Jobs saying years ago that the Mac/WinPC via iTunes is no longer the digital media hub, and yet it's 2015 and we still don't have a proper digital media hub from Apple. I have created my own inelegant solution using an external RAID via USB 3.0 and a Mac mini whose sole purpose is to run iTunes for the home. This is my digital media hub. The problem is that when using this from another Mac's iTunes account you have to access that Home Sharing account and then access the files. This takes too many steps. I'd at least like to see an app that simply pops up this Home Sharing device's iTunes Library and updates its play counts accordingly, and has a local Library for that remote user so it can keep track of the files you've played.

I meant in a "how can we streamline this beast" way. I don't want 20 different apps either, that'd be terrible.

I run my music from a Mini as well, it's hooked into my TV as a media/file server which folds proteins in its spare time.
  • Reply 33 of 40

Two words: Jacques Nasser.

When people start talking about how diversity needs to be enforced, well, maybe you get the idea. It took almost a decade for Ford to recover, even Bill Ford Jr. couldn't get it done.

There is also no reason for it. Apple is diverse. There may be a lot of "white faces" as Nasser said on the executive team, but you have a gay CEO, a female as head of retail etc and the company is hugely successful. If executives leave for better opportunities or are fired due to infighting or performance issues, then by all means consider all possible candidates that would perform the job well. But diversity for diversity's sake opens one up to its own set of problems.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apple should hire people based on qualifications period. I highly doubt Apple is turning away highly qualified people because of their skin color.

Bingo.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

There is also no reason for it. Apple is diverse. There may be a lot of "white faces" as Nasser said on the executive team, but you have a gay CEO, a female as head of retail etc and the company is hugely successful. If executives leave for better opportunities or are fired due to infighting or performance issues, then by all means consider all possible candidates that would perform the job well. But diversity for diversity's sake opens one up to its own set of problems.

I agree. We should seek equality of opportunity, I struggle to distinguish enforced diversity from discrimination.

• Reply 36 of 40
    command_f wrote: »
    isteelers wrote: »

I agree. We should seek equality of opportunity, I struggle to distinguish enforced diversity from discrimination.

Well you shouldn't struggle.

Enforced diversity is discrimination.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    karas11karas11 Posts: 32member

Another useless app included on iOS.. I assume this can't remove it either.. Great Apple.. Add more junk.. 

• Reply 38 of 40
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

If the work he does on this is even half as good as the soundtrack work he's done with Atticus Ross on David Fincher's films, it will be the greatest app ever. :)

• Reply 39 of 40
    I just hope they keep Johnny Ive away from SW UI design. That's quite a different world from other design areas and as much as I am a huge fan of Ive, I don't think UIs are his strongpoint.

As for how this thread seems to be sliding onto a slope towards an affirmative action or diversity discussion, I'd just add that I don't care who they hire to do what. Hire the best person for the job. Period. I don't care what color they are, who or what they worship, with whom they share adult activities, etc. (They can be purple, gay, from Mars, and worship tin cans for all I care.) Anything other than that is a detriment to the company and ultimately the "group" they are trying to help.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    david291 wrote: »
    I just hope they keep Johnny Ive away from SW UI design. That's quite a different world from other design areas and as much as I am a huge fan of Ive, I don't think UIs are his strongpoint.

As for how this thread seems to be sliding onto a slope towards an affirmative action or diversity discussion, I'd just add that I don't care who they hire to do what. Hire the best person for the job. Period. I don't care what color they are, who or what they worship, with whom they share adult activities, etc. (They can be purple, gay, from Mars, and worship tin cans for all I care.) Anything other than that is a detriment to the company and ultimately the "group" they are trying to help.

Agreed.

I wonder how much input Ive had into the Apple Watch home screen. That is an abomination.