Apple's new spaceship campus might be named after Steve Jobs, Tim Cook says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
While late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs's office remains in situ at the company's Infinite Loop headquarters, a more impressive memorial may be in the works as current chief executive Tim Cook has indicated his desire to name all or part of the new spaceship campus after Jobs.

One of the life-size mockups Apple used in the design of its new campus.

Jobs's family will have the final say on any such naming arrangement, Cook revealed during an interview with Fortune's Adam Lashinsky. It could include a specific facet of the building, or possibly the entire project.

Jobs is known to have been obsessed over the design of the new campus in the years leading up to his death, and appeared personally in front of the Cupertino City Council to seek construction approval.

"I think we have a shot at building the best office building in the world," Jobs said at the time, in what would turn out to be his final public appearance.

Cook calls the new campus "the mother of all products," citing high-tech features like special apps that can direct employees who commute via car directly to open parking spaces. He believes that the office environment is of paramount importance to the culture of a company, panning the typically boring offices inhabited by workers in high-rise buildings.

The office "shouldn't be a place that doesn't turn on your creative juices," he said.

"I hate the word 'headquarters,'" Cook added. "There's real work going on here. It isn't overhead, and we're not bureaucrats."

Among the features that Cook is looking forward to the most is the private 1,000-seat underground auditorium being constructed on the grounds. Much like the decision to abandon its keynote slot at the annual Macworld conference, moving events to the private auditorium will give Apple more control over its product release cycle.

"No more scheduling months ahead of time around other people's schedules," he said.

Even as construction is progressing quickly -- AppleInsider's own aerial footage of the site shows the cafeteria section topped out -- the company has yet to decide which groups will be relocated from Infinite Loop. One that seems sure to move is the design group headed by Jony Ive, which will reportedly occupy "a top-floor space of thirty thousand square feet, with Industrial Design and Human Interface together, sharing a view of what Apple refers to as the 'savanna' between the main building and the fitness center."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This is the best news I heard from Apple after Steve Jobs passed away. Way to go Tim Cook and Apple to honor and respect the greatest man of our generations !!
  • Reply 2 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Tim is probably the most humble corporate CEO I've ever witnessed. Steve has gotten enough credit- if it was up to me, I would name the building after Cook. 

He was named world's greatest leader by Fortunate today, and I agree: http://fortune.com/worlds-greatest-leaders/

Really puts into focus the stupidity of the frothing, vitriolic dillusions of posters like BF and his constant insistence that the guy isn't fit to lead anything. 

• Reply 3 of 52
    It's entirely fitting that the new campus should have Steve Jobs' name on it. It was his brainchild and he was instrumental in getting the Cupertino city council to approve its construction.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Ok...I may have said this before but ..

PERFECT ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE Base.

I'm sure that glass is pretty strong.
    Nice garden in the center ring
    Exercise equipment.
    Food kitchen, bedrooms, bunker, emergency exists.
    Plenty of visual look out stations with 360 degrees of awareness.
    Most likely evehthing you could need.

I am not a preper.
    It's just fun thinking about this kind of stuff.

I want to live there.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    No brainer IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    popnfresh wrote: »
    It's entirely fitting that the new campus has Steve Jobs' name on it. It was his brainchild and he was instrumental in getting the Cupertino city council to approve its construction.

Damn! Having trouble with my posts today. Apologies. Apparently something with AI app or maybe it's me. Double posting and mid quoting.

Anyways ..

I agree

He was involved with most of all it's design.

Including the glass curvature, the circle ring, materials. Now he's not an architect, but much like everything he was involved with, he had incredible insight, opinions, and demands to get this campus looking and functioning the way that it does.

He was the one that coined spaceship.

He said it kind a looks as if a spaceship landed in a field, or something to that effect to the city council and ever since then it's been called the spaceship campus.

Steve Jobs has his name all over numerous patents that had nothing to do with technology.

The staircases and many of the Apple stores has his ideas and designs implemented in them. I believe he has his name on the patent for the staircases that shoot out from the wall as a single plank.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

It's entirely fitting that the new campus should have Steve Jobs' name on it. It was his brainchild and he was instrumental in getting the Cupertino city council to approve its construction.

Plus he is a local boy. As a kid, he probably rode his bike around those fields and orchards. He went to high school less than a mile from there.

• Reply 8 of 52
    Disregard this post. lol. I can't seem to delete on my phone.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Depending of how the Fam feels, it would be great. Even if it's just the "Steven Jobs Theatre".
  • Reply 10 of 52
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Ok...I may have said this before but ..

PERFECT ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE Base.

I'm sure that glass is pretty strong.
    Nice garden in the center ring
    Exercise equipment.
    Food kitchen, bedrooms, bunker, emergency exists.
    Plenty of visual look out stations with 360 degrees of awareness.
    Most likely evehthing you could need.

I am not a preper.
    It's just fun thinking about this kind of stuff.

I want to live there.

I would beg to differ. The glass and per floor overhangs not only allow for the potential of a major ingress point with a single break in the glass, but also allow zombies to charge the glass once they see you inside. I'd say a completely cement structure with no windows, and sheer walls all the way up would be better.

I'd think even a typical shopping mall would be better and you could easily break the glass above one of the giant skylights (at least in the malls in which I'm familiar) to allow a garden, or garden on top. On to of that you have a very wide unobstructed view that allows for spotting zombies from afar. Finally, a mall offers most of what you need to be self sufficient, especially clothing and large stashes of food products, and generators (if there is a Sears). Except for solar power allowing for the potential of power, assuming there is no damage to there power from the field of solar panels to the campus.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Tim is probably the most humble corporate CEO I've ever witnessed. Steve has gotten enough credit- if it was up to me, I would name the building after Cook. 

He was named world's greatest leader by Fortunate today, and I agree: http://fortune.com/worlds-greatest-leaders/

Really puts into focus the stupidity of the frothing, vitriolic dillusions of posters like BF and his constant insistence that the guy isn't fit to lead anything. 
    Well said my friend! I couldn't agree more about Tim being exactly what Apple needs! But, I might make one suggestion... As it was Steve that helped to design and push forward this campus, I do think it's appropriate to name it after him. I would name the new R&D facility in Japan after Tim perhaps...
  • Reply 12 of 52
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I would beg to differ. The glass and per floor overhangs not allow for the potential of a major ingress point with a single break in the glass, but also allow zombies to charge the glass once they see you. I'd say a completely cement structure with no windows, and sheer walls all the way up would be better. Even a shopping mall would be better and you could easily break the glass above one of the giant skylights (at least in the malls in which I'm familiar) to allow a garden, or garden on top. On to of that you have a very wide unobstructed view that allows for spotting zombies from afar. Finally, a mall offers most of what you need to be self sufficient, especially clothing and large stashes of food products, and generators (if there is a Sears). Except for solar power allowing for the potential of power, assuming there is no damage to there power from the field of solar panels to the campus.

Interesting… But to be sure… We would have to have more for info on the glass.

I feel confident that without weaponry zombies would not be able to break into the glass. I have a feeling that it's very strong and would be most likely able to hold off droves of zombies.

In many stories zombies can't even break the glass on civilian structures.

I also believe that the campus would need some modification in order to properly defend it. But with 360° visibility and some man-made structures on top of it for lookout points I think that they would be able to ward off many hordes of zombies before they even got the glass. What do you think?

I think I read somewhere that on the upper floors the windows can crack open. So man-made structures might not even be needed to be placed on top.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I would say put Steve Jobs statue or large size photo looks thinker at main entrance reminding those who enters in the building about the DNA implanted by Steve Jobs to continue his legacy to keep innovating and offer best products to humanity.
    Steve Jobs -
    http://www.hdwallpapersinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/steve-jobs-31-1024x640.jpg
  • Reply 14 of 52
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    slurpy wrote: »

It is fitting to name the new building after SJ in my view. As TC is always pointing out Steve lives on in the DNA of Apple. One day Tim will have something named after him and it will be well deserved.

And Slurpy - please stop obsessing about BF. You and others manage to make virtually every thread about him, derailing the conversation from other far more interesting derailments. Simply skip his posts and any replies to them. Forever commenting on them is counterproductive. For every post he gets about a hundred replies. No wonder he keeps coming back. He's loving it.

--- edit ---

Just checked out the fortune URL above and it has a link to a great TC article - http://fortune.com/2015/03/26/tim-cook/
  • Reply 15 of 52
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member

Agree, and this is appropriate. I would vote for not naming the whole building for Steve, but there's perhaps a stronger message in naming that auditorium specifically for him. I still love replaying Steve's public appearance with products, particularly the one with the first demo of Macintosh. Steve was many tings, but no one can say he wasn't a performer.

• Reply 16 of 52
    Will it be the Jobs Centre??
  • Reply 17 of 52
    baylab wrote: »
    Will it be the Jobs Centre??

Lol
  • Reply 18 of 52
    This was Jobs's last big project, so naming it after him would be apt. A statue would be nice, too.

It is so sad looking back at his last televised appearance at the council, where he spoke about the new campus.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

--- edit ---

Just checked out the fortune URL above and it has a link to a great TC article - http://fortune.com/2015/03/26/tim-cook/

Thanks for that link. Great article. I absolutely love this quote from Cook:

“I’m not running for office,” he says. “I don’t need your vote. I have to feel myself doing what’s right. If I’m the arbiter of that instead of letting the guy on TV be that or someone who doesn’t know me at all, then I think that’s a much better way to live.”"

• Reply 20 of 52
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Fitting and just. But I would be a little surprised if Steve hadn't made his wishes known in this regard. If he said "Don't name it after me," should the family overrule?