Apple Pay decals begin arriving with supporting merchants

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Vendors who accept Apple Pay can advertise their support with new decal stickers supplied by Apple itself, which began arriving in the mail for merchants on Thursday.

In the free packages now being delivered, Apple offers two glass decals and two register decals, in two different sizes, both with the Apple Pay logo. Apple also includes a plastic tool that helps merchants apply the glass decal smoothly on the front door of their shop.

The folders holding the decals also come with instructions for how and where to apply the stickers. In included illustrations, Apple shows the decals on a point of sale terminal, at a grocery checkout counter checkout lane, and on the front door of a business.

The decal kits advertising Apple Pay acceptance became available earlier this week through the Apple Merchant Supplies website. The kits are free, though shop owners needing more than five are instructed to place their order by calling a special toll-free number.

The decal kit is another building block in Apple's nascent mobile payments rollout that first saw activation on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus devices in October. Apple Pay support will also be available on the Apple Watch when it debuts next month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Good.

Looking forward to Apple Pay reaching this Sceptred Isle by 2018 or later, going by the iTunes Radio rollout.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    My order still says processing.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Better late than never!
    What took so long ?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

The design of the decals is not reassuring. As a market analyst who works with Gene Munster, I must inform my clients to unload all of their APPL holdings due to the font size and rounded corners of the Apple Pay decals/stickers. 

• Reply 5 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

The design of the decals is not reassuring. As a market analyst who works with Gene Munster, I must inform my clients to unload all of their APPL holdings due to the font size and rounded corners of the Apple Pay decals/stickers. 

"Yes, I agree. It is clear that Apple Pay stickers will be a complete failure like everything else Apple has done recently." -Ben Frost

Just getting a jump on it.

• Reply 6 of 22
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    Better late than never!
    What took so long ?

To me, it does seem like this should have been done even before ?Pay even went live.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    To me, it does seem like this should have been done even before ?Pay even went live.

Apple should have been shipping these things out a couple weeks before launch of Apple pay. It didn't start until a month after the iPhone was launched, so there's no secret to keep at that point. Still better late then never. Again something Google has never done with Google Wallet that I know of or seen. Will Google now announce free stickers also here shortly? That's normally what happens.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    It's a very Apple touch to send out a smoothing tool along with the decals.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

It's a very Apple touch to send out a smoothing tool along with the decals.

I hope they put them up "straight!"

?.... I took this photo in the Apple section at a Fry's Electronics a few years ago! 

AppleMark

• Reply 10 of 22
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Apple should have been shipping these things out a couple weeks before launch of Apple pay. It didn't start until a month after the iPhone was launched, so there's no secret to keep at that point. Still better late then never. Again something Google has never done with Google Wallet that I know of or seen. Will Google now announce free stickers also here shortly? That's normally what happens.

What? You mean like these? I've seen them all over before Apple Pay.

• Reply 11 of 22
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    solipsismy wrote: »

I wonder if they planned all along to have these decals but wanted to have more of a soft launch of ?Pay and release the decals just ahead of the ?WATCH. It seems more likely though that it was just in response to the confusion around which retailers accepted ?Pay.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Good.

Looking forward to Apple Pay reaching this Sceptred Isle by 2018 or later, going by the iTunes Radio rollout.

Sorry, but why the **** do you care when Apple Pay arrives over there, since you've made it clear to this forum on hundreds of occasions that the iPhone 6 disgusts you and you would never buy it in a million years? 

The act of acting disappointed with no having access to products you constantly shit on anyway, just so you can troll, has gotten old. Not a single fucking reasonable person expected Apple Pay to be officially supported in Europe before this fall. It's still exploding in the US and has yet to reach Canada. If you actually worked for a living, or spent any time doing something productive, you would realize that these things are not magic, and there's a ton of moving parts by numerous parties. But since you do nothing but troll all day, I can understand why you're do disconnected to believe all Apple needs to do is snap its fingers. 

• Reply 13 of 22
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Maybe they only wanted to do it once there were a minimum number of those accepting it, or large enough merchants or something like that?

• Reply 14 of 22
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

BF Just block him.

• Reply 15 of 22
    aaronj wrote: »
    Maybe they only wanted to do it once there were a minimum number of those accepting it, or large enough merchants or something like that?

I'm sure they have their reasons and I'm sure they are reasonable, but I can't tell you how many places I've tried ?Pay to have it work when there was no indication that the merchant support NFC-based payments. This would help the expansion, but honestly, it's moving so fast that this segment in time will be meaningless when in 2-3 years we'll be more surprised that a place doesn't take ?Pay than one that does.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    realistic wrote: »
    BF Just block him.

Block Slurpy? I've only ever blocked a couple of people, and the only one I remember is Constable Odo. He rarely posts now, though. Life's too short. It's easy enough to skim over posts.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    What? You mean like these? I've seen them all over before Apple Pay.

Nice!. I've never seen anything like that anywhere around here all this time. Google needs to speed things up a whole lot more. It's been 4 years.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

A lawsuit has been filed against Apple for these.  When reversed they are sending a subliminal message to users to pay Apple.

• Reply 19 of 22
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I'm sure they have their reasons and I'm sure they are reasonable, but I can't tell you how many places I've tried ?Pay to have it work when there was no indication that the merchant support NFC-based payments. This would help the expansion, but honestly, it's moving so fast that this segment in time will be meaningless when in 2-3 years we'll be more surprised that a place doesn't take ?Pay than one that does.

Yeah.  There are simply way too many Apple devices out there for merchants to ignore them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

A lawsuit has been filed against Apple for these.  When reversed they are sending a subliminal message to users to pay Apple.

LOL :)  The scary thing is, I can imagine someone actually believing that!  Heh.

• Reply 20 of 22
    Off Topic: I just reemerged my iPhone do to an odd Safari issue since updating to 8.2. When setting up ?Pay again for my cards, my Capital One card [B][I][U]STILL[/U][/I][/B] doesn't require any authentication. I then called them to let them know how I feel about that lack of customer protection.