Apple Watch support comes to flurry of iPhone apps ahead of April launch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2015
A collection of iPhone apps -- such as Evernote, Dark Sky, and the New York Times -- were updated today to support the Apple Watch, even though the wearable isn't shipping until April 24.

Evernote has updated its app to allow voice search and dictation through the Watch. Dictated notes will be automatically transcribed and synced. Alternately users will be able to browse recent notes, as well as create and view reminders.

Dark Sky will send weather notifications to the Watch and display a five-day forecast, while the New York Times app will push news stories.

Sky Guide will show a calendar of celestial happenings and trigger notifications whenever one is imminent, such as a local flyover of the International Space Station. The Target app will help create shopping lists, check deals and store hours, and locate items within an outlet.

Some other Watch-related updates include Expedia, Things, Transit, MLB.com At Bat, and SPG, the latter of which is bringing promised check-in and door unlocking functions for hotels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The scores app would be great for the watch.
  • Reply 2 of 39

Add LINE chat app to that list as well.

• Reply 3 of 39
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

These sound pretty good for the most part.  The notes app will prove especially useful.

I'm getting more and more excited about the Watch every day.

• Reply 4 of 39
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    aaronj wrote: »
    These sound pretty good for the most part.  The notes app will prove especially useful.

I'm getting more and more excited about the Watch every day.

Yeah, ever since that website with the app mockups appeared I've started leaning heavily toward ?Watch. At this point I think I'm likely going to order one, I just don't know if it'll be pre-order or wait to test it in the store first.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    OMG, the makers of the app "Transit" just released an ?WATCH companion app!!! NICE!!!
  • Reply 6 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

And the more of them you use, the faster the battery will drain. Just like the early iPhones, people are going to have to get used to limiting themselves to just what they need on the watch.

• Reply 7 of 39
    I'm feeling sorry for Apple.

I would so have loved for them to come out with another belter, but, sadly, this isn't it. The taste of defeat will be most strange for them, so rare is their experience of it.

I'm sure that their other successful divisions will go from strength to strength. The important thing now is to not let the the Apple Watch flop to distract their focus. It will be easier once the new campus is finished.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Transit app has also added it. Useful for metro and bus schedules, live tracking,
  • Reply 9 of 39
    I've been pestering every SPG hotel I've stayed at recently and got some insider info the other day: Keyless will be deployed at all W, Aloft, and Element hotels by the end of 2015 with Westin following in 2016. That's for corporate-owned properties. Franchise locations have a little bit longer to comply, but Starwood is pushing hard for total adoption of the tech.

I have yet to stay in one of the W, Element, or Aloft locations that has it, but I'm dying to give it a try.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Soon to come will be the watch app for the phone. If you are looking at your phone when a notification comes in on the watch you won't need to look at your watch to see what to look at on your phone, it will just appear on your phone with a simulated watch face for an interface. The number of seconds I am going to save myself every year is going to be liberating. Sorry, after a while I have to resort to sarcasm regarding all of this. By the way does anyone know what time it is?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    kent909 wrote: »
    Soon to come will be the watch app for the phone. If you are looking at your phone when a notification comes in on the watch you won't need to look at your watch to see what to look at on your phone, it will just appear on your phone with a simulated watch face for an interface. The number of seconds I am going to save myself every year is going to be liberating. Sorry, after a while I have to resort to sarcasm regarding all of this. By the way does anyone know what time it is?

My iPad tells me it's 9.56 pm (in England).

No Apple Watch required, amazingly. It would have saved me no time, as I'm reading this on my iPad, which permanently displays the time at the top. In fact, I would have wasted time had I had to pull up my sleeve and raise my arm to turn on my Apple Watch.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    I'm feeling sorry for Apple.

I would so have loved for them to come out with another belter, but, sadly, this isn't it. The taste of defeat will be most strange for them, so rare is their experience of it.

I'm sure that their other successful divisions will go from strength to strength. The important thing now is to not let the the Apple Watch flop to distract their focus. It will be easier once the new campus is finished.
    Really? I know Brit's have a reputation for being depressing, emotionless, stuck-up asses, but you take it to a new level. You LITERALLY have NOTHING positive to say about Apple, and yet you spend your time coming to an APPLE site, spewing disdain for Apple, in particular the ?WATCH, and continue to do so on a DAILY basis!

This boggles my mind! People like you are not level headed, and should seriously seek therapy from a professional.
  • Reply 13 of 39

No Apple Watch required, amazingly. It would have saved me no time, as I'm reading this on my iPad, which permanently displays the time at the top. In fact, I would have wasted time had I had to pull up my sleeve and raise my arm to turn on my Apple Watch.
    How about a jogger who has their iPhone in their back pocket, or on a belt attachment, and want to check their current status without stopping, in comes the ?WATCH, a much more practical and integral option.

People like you with such short sightedness shouldn't be allowed to use, or comment about, technology.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    pistispistis Posts: 247member

Can't you find something more interesting to say than make fun of it, with sarcasm. I really hope you get banned for trolling
  • Reply 15 of 39
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    How about a jogger who has their iPhone in their back pocket, or on a belt attachment, and want to check their current status without stopping, in comes the ?WATCH, a much more practical and integral option.

People like you with such short sightedness shouldn't be allowed to use, or comment about, technology.

He is our resident troll, he doesn't care, all he wants is a reaction from you
  • Reply 16 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    And the more of them you use, the faster the battery will drain. Just like the early iPhones, people are going to have to get used to limiting themselves to just what they need on the watch.

You mean like they do now with their current iPhones?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You mean like they do now with their current iPhones?

We're trained now, the battery life is better, and Apple has steadily improved software power management. I suspect a brand new iPhone user might get a little excited and despite all these things, still have a steep learning curve with power management. 

The watch is a whole new animal, which is likely going to have significant issues with battery life once it hits the street and people load it up with all these cool apps, and things it can do. So unlike people who use an iPhone now, I'm anticipating some typical software tweaks by both Apple and the third party app developers which will improve power usage, and allow people to use more of the features of the watch routinely. But I think there's going to be another steep learning curve, even for those who are smart power managers with their iPhones now (and that's by no means everyone).

I'm expecting it to be a disaster at first with all kinds of articles about the disastrous battery life, but that will settle down soon enough and, along with software tweaks, people will figure out how to manage the power requirements.

• Reply 18 of 39
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Not everyone is an old fart sitting at home all day long.

• Reply 19 of 39
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

While I will definitely get an Apple Watch as soon as possible, somehow I am not truly interested in third party apps for it. Watch, weather, notifications and reminders are there, as is remote functionality for the Music app on the iPhone and the Apple TV. Don't think I even want more on the watch (except for maybe Apple Pay, if it ever gets here). Maybe, if well implemented, some apps that interface with home automation, and that's about it. If anything, I would like to remove all that fitness and health related crap to make the device less cluttered and easier to navigate. I do love the design of the watch and some of the stock apps shown, that overcrowded app screen is rather scary though; while I trust Apple to come up with a good UX, I totally see myself launching the wrong apps more often than not.

• Reply 20 of 39

You had me at ?.