JP Morgan predicts Apple will stick with LCD, not OLED, for 'iPhone 7'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

That's the thing, we don't hear about OLED color loss over time in real-world use because that would require honest observations from Samsung owners who are still using two-year-old phones.

Will Raymond "Sammy" Soneira of DisplayMate, the one who rates the Galaxies as having the best screens ever, address this long-term issue? I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: thinking about it, maybe he already has, but I haven't waded through his messed-up website enough to have seen it. It would be a simple matter of plugging a phone in and playing movies on it 24 hours a day to compress years of ordinary use into a shorter time. Anyone know?

Will photos do - like the one I provided above, taken literally a few minutes before posting?    This blue fade seems to be an urban myth as far as I can tell.  Reminds me of the 'don't get a Panasonic Plasma TV' brigade 'because of the screen burn-in yo'.  I have one of those too.

• Reply 42 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm sure some will say Anandtech is in the pocket of Samsung now. image

The bullshít is so thick you can smell it 2K upwind. :)

• Reply 43 of 84
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Yes, but if you go into the settings and choose the professional photo mode the colours are as accurate as an iPhone 6, so you are looking a bit desperate there.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9111/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-preview/3

We can always count on you to come into any thread, evangelize Samsung, and bash Apple. Like clockwork. 

• Reply 44 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) It's based on usage. I hope you're TV viewing habits aren't the same as the typical habits of how we use smartphones. I'd image the viewing time on a watch should be considerably lower than a consumer TV, which should be considerably lower than a smartphone.

2) Accuracy is the keyword. Last I read the blue in OLED has about a 14,000 life before being considered worn out but one study found that "after 1,000 hours the blue luminance degraded by 12%, the red by 7% and the green by 8%." 1000 hours isn'a lot for a phone and I would imagine anything Apple would use would fare better, but for a heavy use case like a smartphone or traditional "PC" I simply can't see it being used.

That photo was of my 5 year old OLED phone screen, not a TV.

A study of what?  Samsung have introduced new OLED tech and processes every single year for at least the last 6 years.  Did this study look at and measure Samsung OLED screens as used in their phones?  Because that is the topic of discussion.  Just earlier today I was reading something about this issue - pre-dated this thread - and came across a discussion relating to OLED TVs and the conclusion was their lifespan is on par with LCDs.

Any hypothetical OLED screen for an iPhone would most likely be the most current tech Samsung have as evidenced in the S6.  Given what Anandtech have to say about that screen, I can't see why any Apple user would have qualms about seeing something like that screen in an iPhone.  'Oh no, but it's the dreaded Pentile'  Seems to work fine.

• Reply 45 of 84
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

@thewhitefalcon you do realize that most color accurate handset display on the market right now that completely trounces the iPhone 6 panel in color reproduction, color accuracy, brightness, dark blacks, power efficiency, and accurate whites is an OLED right? The iPhone 6 was rated 'best LCD of any mobile handset to date' which is OK but this OLED display was rated best handset display to date to ever be on the market... So yeah, there's that. amazingly accurate? Not really - Great compared to other LCD's, pretty accurate and OK when compared to a good OLED.

You do realize that displaymate that did the reviews on those displays also said that the iPhone 6 is the best LCD display in a smart phone on the market and also that the samsung S5 and S6 are the best OLED displays too.   He did not say that OLED "trounces"  the iPhone display. But that it has become better in some areas than the iPhone display not so good in other areas.

I would expect that samsung being one of the biggest OLED manufacturers in the world would have the best OLEDS.

He also has several articles that about LCD's evening the score this year with quantum dots and full color management.  When that happens LCD's will come back with a vengeance.

• Reply 46 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

We can always count on you to come into any thread, evangelize Samsung, and bash Apple. Like clockwork. 

We can always count on you to come into a thread and shoot your mouth off before connecting your brain to it; like clockwork.

• Reply 47 of 84
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    cnocbui wrote: »

That photo was of my 5 year old OLED phone screen, not a TV.

A study of what?  Samsung have introduced new OLED tech and processes every single year for at least the last 6 years.  Did this study look at and measure Samsung OLED screens as used in their phones?  Because that is the topic of discussion.  Just earlier today I was reading something about this issue - pre-dated this thread - and came across a discussion relating to OLED TVs and the conclusion was their lifespan is on par with LCDs.

Any hypothetical OLED screen for an iPhone would most likely be the most current tech Samsung have as evidenced in the S6.  Given what Anandtech have to say about that screen, I can't see why any Apple user would have qualms about seeing something like that screen in an iPhone.  'Oh no, but it's the dreaded Pentile'  Seems to work fine.

1) It looked like a TV to me. Regardless, it's not based on the age of the device, but how much use the display has received, specifically within each of the sub-pixels.

2) It's certainly possible, but your posting of a picture doesn't make it so, and there are studies that show the decay in accuracy with use so that needs to be accounted for which means Apple can't simply look at the image you posted and then decide to scrap any testing. Despite what you may think, it's clear Apple puts a lot of effort in testing, and since there devices are not only scrutinized more than other vendor's devices, but used more than other vendor's devices, I think it's important that Apple do their homework.

3) PenTile was a clever solution for Samsung but that doesn't mean it wasn't designed to be a low-cost kludge buy skimping on the sub-pixels. It only works now because the pixel density is high enough to make it work. Good for them, but I doubt we'll see the Samsung's PenTile matrix in ?Watch, despite thinking it's very likely the display comes from Samsung.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    mechanic wrote: »

You do realize that displaymate that did the reviews on those displays also said that the iPhone 6 is the best LCD display in a smart phone on the market and also that the samsung S5 and S6 are the best OLED displays too.   He did not say that OLED "trounces"  the iPhone display. But that it has become better in some areas than the iPhone display not so good in other areas.
    I would expect that samsung being one of the biggest OLED manufacturers in the world would have the best OLEDS.
    He also has several articles that about LCD's evening the score this year with quantum dots and full color management.  When that happens LCD's will come back with a vengeance.

I seem to recall that the DisplayMate douche choose not to test either the iPhone 5S, or iPhone 5/5S when crowning the Samsung Galaxy S5 (or whatever it was) the best display on the market. Seems odd to omit the world's more popular smartphone from your list.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Unless you have both OLED and LCD next to each other, you can't tell the difference. iPhone 6/6+ have better color accuracy than OLED on Samsung Note 4 while of course OLED has better contrast ratio.

Have you ever used ANY LCD at night? You can easily tell it is an LCD by the fact that is extremely bright even on it's dimmest setting and displaying mostly blacks. All of my devices now are LCDs and I am absolutely sick of the lack of blacks.

• Reply 50 of 84
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

Contrary to popular belief, OLED is only energy efficient when there's not much light to begin with. LCD requires more energy to make a pixel "black" BUT overall, it's much more efficient than OLED when it comes to viewing docs and webpages which is mostly white. 

• Reply 51 of 84
    krawallkrawall Posts: 163member
    I wonder why nobody mentions daylight / sunny day / brightness issues which I feel are the biggest problems OLEDs still have. Has that been overcome?
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

I wonder why nobody mentions daylight / sunny day / brightness issues which I feel are the biggest problems OLEDs still have. Has that been overcome?

The S6 screen is brighter than an iPhone 6 according to Anandtech, so I would say it's no longer a problem.

• Reply 53 of 84

my thought was that apple figured out a white background basic screen display prevented Samsung from appearing to be a iPhone in use by a casual onlooker.

doesn't it take a lot more power for an OLED to show white all the time?

so for marketing purposes apple switched their IOS at 7? to be a whiter screen.

harder to copy the look if the battery powered needed shortens the life.

if I am wrong on this I am not an expert just an opinion.

• Reply 54 of 84
    This is a huge disappointment. Why is apple staying with inferior tech? High quality oled beats led any day.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Hulka View Post

my thought was that apple figured out a white background basic screen display prevented Samsung from appearing to be a iPhone in use by a casual onlooker.

doesn't it take a lot more power for an OLED to show white all the time?

so for marketing purposes apple switched their IOS at 7? to be a whiter screen.

harder to copy the look if the battery powered needed shortens the life.

if I am wrong on this I am not an expert just an opinion.

In the past that was true, now a days they are around equal with a slight edge to LCD but a massive edge to OLED everywhere else.

• Reply 56 of 84
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

@thewhitefalcon you do realize that most color accurate handset display on the market right now that completely trounces the iPhone 6 panel in color reproduction, color accuracy, brightness, dark blacks, power efficiency, and accurate whites is an OLED right? The iPhone 6 was rated 'best LCD of any mobile handset to date' which is OK but this OLED display was rated best handset display to date to ever be on the market... So yeah, there's that. amazingly accurate? Not really - Great compared to other LCD's, pretty accurate and OK when compared to a good OLED.

Its a bit better in certain aspects, like viewing angle, but otherwise no. Go away now Samsung shill.

• Reply 57 of 84

Why is the default so low? Is there some issue with pixel damage with keeping it that bright all the time? What about burn in?
  • Reply 58 of 84
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Why is the default so low? Is there some issue with pixel damage with keeping it that bright all the time? What about burn in?

Per the article:

It's important to note that achieving this requires the use of auto-brightness, and that manual brightness is limited to a much lower brightness to reduce power usage, here the S6 sees similar maximum brightness as the S5.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    O

Will photos do - like the one I provided above, taken literally a few minutes before posting?    This blue fade seems to be an urban myth as far as I can tell.  Reminds me of the 'don't get a Panasonic Plasma TV' brigade 'because of the screen burn-in yo'.  I have one of those too.

One exception doesn't suddenly disprove the overall trend.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

Have you ever used ANY LCD at night? You can easily tell it is an LCD by the fact that is extremely bright even on it's dimmest setting and displaying mostly blacks. All of my devices now are LCDs and I am absolutely sick of the lack of blacks.

Yes, black levels on TV's suck bad on a LCD. BTW, I'Ve got a plasma at home for that reason. Black level are much better for the price than anything you can get on a LCD. On a phone though, its a lot less of an issue, watching a movie on a phone is such an immense compromise anyway that losing a bit on black level wouldn't phase me at all :-).

The difference in quality of top end  OLED vs LCD when you get them initially is just about nil. LCD are much more durable, that's a fact and yields for OLED are not so great, which probably the main reason for Apple not going there. As long as you don't run you LCD at 100% brightness from the start and its a bright panel, it can run 10 years straight, on just about all the time. You certainly can't say the same for OLED yet.