Why Apple is banking on USB-C for its all-new 12-inch MacBook and beyond

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 154
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Actually no. Two would have been ideal as one could charge the device and have another device connected. You could be charging and hook up a display. Having no available putts whole charging is what bothers me

The display can power the computer.

That 1 cable provides power from the display to the computer, display data to the display and 5 GB data transfer for the USB ports built into the display for secondary storage devices (flash sticks, etc).

• Reply 142 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by habi View Post

Actually if you want to use external displays I dont think Apple wants to go that route. And i think this is something Apple might not have considered enough or it might have thought that it would not be a dealbreaker on the new macbook. The problem is HDCP encrypted content. This is a real dealbreaker for me getting a laptop of this kind. Not being able to watch encrypted content on an external display eg. itunes rentals is just bad choice I think. I would NOT have left that thunderbolt port out...

Good lord.  There is no problem.  USB-C supports native Displayport signals.  That means current DP->HDMI/HDCP conversions work in DP alt mode.

"Along with utilizing USB lanes for DP lanes, the DP Alt Mode standard also includes provisions for reconfiguring the Type-C secondary bus (SBU) to carry the DisplayPort AUX channel. This half-duplex channel is normally used by DisplayPort devices to carry additional non-video data such as audio, EDID, HDCP, touchscreen data, MST topology data, and more."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8558/displayport-alternate-mode-for-usb-typec-announced

• Reply 143 of 154
    My problems with this shift are simple:

1) Less safe than Magsafe. I hate tripping over cords, and it can destroy a computer.
    2) I absolutely need an SD card, although I assume that most MacBooks will retain them.
    3) Dongles
  • Reply 144 of 154
    zroger73 wrote: »
    "Rare"? I think not. In a worst-case scenario, you have a 50% chance of getting it right. I wouldn't call a 50% chance "rare".

That's like saying I drive my car half of the time and my wife drives my car the other half of the time and claiming that I rarely drive my car.

Actually 50% assumes there's only one possibility on the computer side as well. I've seen computers with ports in both directions. So for someone with multiple devices not with ports not committed to memory you have closer to a 25% chance.
  • Reply 145 of 154
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dmstrom View Post

My problems with this shift are simple:

1) Less safe than Magsafe. I hate tripping over cords, and it can destroy a computer.

2) I absolutely need an SD card, although I assume that most MacBooks will retain them.

3) Dongles

Think of it as really just an iPad with wings.

• Reply 146 of 154
    swiftswift Posts: 436member

It's 50-50, hardly a "worst case". A worst case that happens 50% of the time.

• Reply 147 of 154
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It's almost as if the first page of the thread didn't happen...
  • Reply 148 of 154
    Well it seems like the first dock for the MacBook has appeared. On Kickstarter, an 11 port dock that sits under the MacBook. Seems pretty cool. the HydraDock. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kickshark/hydradock-11-port-usb-c-dock-for-apple-macbook
  • Reply 149 of 154
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rlabutis View Post

What apple needs to do is create a mag port version of the USB-C

How about short MagSafe dongle adapters. You put Part A into the MacBook and Part B at the end of the cord. $89.95.

• Reply 150 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aboutjack View Post

Well it seems like the first dock for the MacBook has appeared. On Kickstarter, an 11 port dock that sits under the MacBook. Seems pretty cool. the HydraDock. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kickshark/hydradock-11-port-usb-c-dock-for-apple-macbook

$140 isn't bad for a dock.

• Reply 151 of 154
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

$140 isn't bad for a dock.

If you are used to buying things for the the US military.

• Reply 152 of 154

Exactly.

If you don't have a clear view and good lighting, etc, It never fits on the first 2 attempts.

Its unbelievable that they didn't make it reversible years ago.

3.0 with all its bastardized connectors, should never have happened.

• Reply 153 of 154
    InventorTechieInventorTechie Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I've compiled a list of the best USB-C accessories for the MacBook Pro for those of you who have just picked one up for the holidays. Hopefully it helps to save someone time from hunting down all of the options. Enjoy! http://www.techieio.com/15-best-usb-c-accessories-for-macbook-pro/