Amazon debuts new unlimited Cloud Drive plans, Beatport comes to iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Amazon today launched two unlimited tiers for its Cloud Drive storage service, while prominent dance music service Beatport has revealed it will be debuting on Apple's iOS.

Amazon Cloud Drive goes unlimited

The Unlimited Photos tier lets users upload as many photos as they want at a cost of $12 per year. All other files are capped at 5 GB, but compatible images include the RAW formats used by professional photographers and serious hobbyists.

The other tier is Unlimited Everything, which lets subscribers upload as much of they want of any file type for $60 per year. That option is currently rare in the cloud storage world -- 1 TB plans from Dropbox and Google Drive cost $99 and $120, respectively.

The new Amazon plans each come with a three-month trial period, after which a person's credit card will be charged automatically. Desktop, iOS, and Android apps are available, the latter two of which can automatically upload photos for backup.

Beatport arrives on iOS

Beatport has announced that later on Thursday it will be launching new mobile apps for iOS and Android, offering access to several features previously relegated to the web. These include a free streaming service, and Beatport Shows, a calendar of events with integrated ticket purchases. Beatport is owned by SFX Entertainment, which organizes many electronic dance events.

For DJs the apps incorporate Beatport Live, which allows live streaming and gathers together social media activity from popular acts.

T-Mobile has been announced as a partner for the launch. The carrier offers a perk called Music Freedom, which excludes various music services from contributing to subscribers' data caps.

Beatport is best known for Beatport Pro, a DJ-oriented storefront for dance music, which also has a native Mac client.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That is a really attractive price for the unlimited everything service. Best I've seen. I wonder if their online drive could be used by Time Machine.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    www.fileapartment.com already provides unlimited storage for a much cheaper price.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member

Office 365 Personal - $69/year - Full office + unlimited OneDrive...

Still a better deal.

• Reply 4 of 17
    That is a really attractive price for the unlimited everything service. Best I've seen. I wonder if their online drive could be used by Time Machine.

Both services sound cheap; the devil is in the detail.

Will the photo cloud service integrate seamlessly with Photos, for example? I doubt it. And is this just a storage service or a synchronisation service?

I have quite a lot of DVDs that I would love to throw into the cloud, so that I could stream them at will. Can this be done with iCloud Drive? Apple offer 1TB, which works out at about 500 DVDs at 2GB a disc. I have Mac Ripit to convert the discs.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Beatport had an iPhone app a while ago actually...
    https://news.beatport.com/beatports-iphone-app/
  • Reply 6 of 17
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmanishs View Post

www.fileapartment.com already provides unlimited storage for a much cheaper price.

Trust all your files to a massive company that most people have heard of.....or..... save a few bucks with some random company that no one knows about?

• Reply 7 of 17
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Office 365 sounds like a better deal to me. You pay $6.99 per month, or $70 a year for unlimited OneDrive storage and you get Office 365 access on one PC/Mac + one tablet. Well worth the extra $10 IMHO.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-office-365-personal-1-mac-or-pc-1-ipad-or-select-windows-tablet-1-year-subscription-macwindows/5058004.p?id=1219110267684&skuId=5058004

• Reply 8 of 17
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    There have been many cloud services that will advertise an unlimited plan at really to good to be true pricing. I sign up and a few months later they change there policy and raise there rates extensively. It is just a trick to get people to sign up and hope you will stick with them later when they raise those to good to be true rates a lot higher. Probably take away the unlimited status too.
    I have had to cancel many such plans that were advertised only to be disappointed later when they would do this to me. Stick with external hard drives where you have control of how much storage and so on. Cloud storage is also very slow to upload too. Create your own net drives if you need access anywhere is another option.
  • Reply 9 of 17

Fantastic news about the updated Beatport app. iTunes has typically been pretty terrible about EDM (electronic dance music), which is pretty surprising since Jony Ive is reported to be a fan of the genre, and is friends with John Digweed.  I hope Apple does better with EDM for the upcoming Beats and iTunes radio revamps. It would be a dream come true if Apple bought Beatport.

• Reply 10 of 17
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Yep, as b9bot wrote, I still think I'll stay with my RAID 1 0 setup. Much faster, I don't have to agree to Amazon's 'we own your data' terms of service and I don't have to worry about cloud hacking or Amazon later changing the meaning of 'unlimited.'
  • Reply 11 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Disco, techno, breakbeat, dubstep... when did all this crap get relabeled as "EDM" anyway?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Fantastic news about the updated Beatport app. iTunes has typically been pretty terrible about EDM (electronic dance music), which is pretty surprising since Jony Ive is reported to be a fan of the genre, and is friends with John Digweed.  I hope Apple does better with EDM for the upcoming Beats and iTunes radio revamps. It would be a dream come true if Apple bought Beatport.

iTunes has a ton of electronic stuff. Beatport has more unknown stuff, but pretty much everything you hear on DJ charts is on iTunes. I have yet to see something popular on Beatport that's not on iTunes. Sometimes iTunes has a certain version I want that Beatport doesn't have and vice versa. 

• Reply 13 of 17
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Now we need ISPs to catch up with faster upload speeds.

• Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Disco, techno, breakbeat, dubstep... when did all this crap get relabeled as "EDM" anyway?

Well it's all haphazardly bundled together under the "Dance" category of the iTunes store is sloppy and unintuitive, which is the problem. MC hammer and KC and the Sunshine Band should not be lumped together with techno/breakbeat/dubstep/trance/house/etc, which are sub-generas of EDM.

EDM is a very versatile genre that can range from mellow, melodic beats (e.g. Above and Beyond), to high energy party music (e.g. Calvin Harris, Martin Garrix, Hardwell, The Chainsmokers), to harder styles like Skryllix, Kill the Noise, Showtek, Nervo); but many fantastic artists experiment with variations on these themes (e.g. Seven Lions, Knife Party, Kaskade, Deadmau5).

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I am a big fan of the genre of EDM, and I wish it would be better presented on iTunes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

iTunes has a ton of electronic stuff. Beatport has more unknown stuff, but pretty much everything you hear on DJ charts is on iTunes. I have yet to see something popular on Beatport that's not on iTunes. Sometimes iTunes has a certain version I want that Beatport doesn't have and vice versa. 

Yeah, I see your point. iTunes does have a good amount of content, I agree with you there, but my main issue is that it's not presented very clearly, nor organized very well. It has gotten better, but typically only just in promoting popular new music, while failing in it's organization and presentation overall.

• Reply 15 of 17
    avayasavayas Posts: 3member

I have the same questions. I used dropbox which syncs and works very well

but my understanding is dropbox will no longer be able to back up from the new version of iPhoto.

Anyone else hear this?

If that's the case, my question are:

will Amazon cloud sync?

will it be able to sync photos?

will you be able to sync multiple devices? (e.g. Mac, iPhone, iPad)?

Can anyone answer any of these questions or point me to a site that does answer them?

Thx

• Reply 16 of 17
    roakeroake Posts: 809member

Is there a way to assign an Amazon Cloud Drive to a logical drive letter?  If so, iterative backup systems could potentially back up using Amazon Cloud so that you got versioning, etc.  Right now, there appears to be no real control in backing up except picking a file or directory and having it backed up; specifically, everything goes into the root directory on Amazon Cloud by default.  If I choose to back up all directories on three different hard drives in my computer (and their subdirectories), I get all the main directories for all three drives mixed together in the root directory of Amazon Cloud Drive.  I cannot imagine it correctly handling a case where you have two directories on more than one drive with the same name; it would likely over-write files, mix files from both directories, or simply give an error.

• Reply 17 of 17
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Just a warning to any potential new Beatport customers: You cannot redownload tracks after buying them. I learned that the hard way after moving many miles away and losing access to the hard drives that I backed up my purchases on. Ridiculous in this day and age.