Samsung Galaxy S6 comes with 56 apps preinstalled, including Instagram & Microsoft OneDrive

1235

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 101
    plovell wrote: »
    I guess I need to be REALLY REALLY explicit. So here goes ...

    What's the betting that the Galaxy S6 will be BOGO from day one ?  Just like the Galaxy S5 was (BOGO from day one) ?

    The Galaxy S6 may be part of a BOGO. But that's a carrier thing... not a Samsung thing.

    BOGO deals are offered by the carriers who make most of their money from collecting monthly service fees. Carriers don't make much money (if any) on the hardware itself. They just want a contract for 24 months... and two contracts are better than one.

    It doesn't matter which phone it is.... it could be a Samsung Galaxy, or an HTC One, or pretty much any other phone. The carriers just want two contracts and the monthly fees that come with it.

    In short... the carriers are in the business of selling service... not phones.

    I'm guessing the tone of your comment is that the Galaxy S5 and S6 are so undesirable that Samsung has to give them away for half price.

    Samsung certainly isn't giving them away for half the price... they're getting paid for each and every Galaxy when they are purchased by the carriers.

    It's the carriers who are giving them away for half the price... in exchange for your monthly fees and a 24 month contract.

    Or possibly two contracts.
  • Reply 82 of 101
    plovellplovell Posts: 819member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plovell View Post



    I guess I need to be REALLY REALLY explicit. So here goes ...



    What's the betting that the Galaxy S6 will be BOGO from day one ?  Just like the Galaxy S5 was (BOGO from day one) ?




    The Galaxy S6 may be part of a BOGO. But that's a carrier thing... not a Samsung thing.



    BOGO deals are offered by the carriers who make most of their money from collecting monthly service fees. Carriers don't make much money (if any) on the hardware itself. They just want a contract for 24 months... and two contracts are better than one.



    It doesn't matter which phone it is.... it could be a Samsung Galaxy, or an HTC One, or pretty much any other phone. The carriers just want two contracts and the monthly fees that come with it.



    In short... the carriers are in the business of selling service... not phones.



    I'm guessing the tone of your comment is that the Galaxy S5 and S6 are so undesirable that Samsung has to give them away for half price.



    Samsung certainly isn't giving them away for half the price... they're getting paid for each and every Galaxy when they are purchased by the carriers.



    It's the carriers who are giving them away for half the price... in exchange for your monthly fees and a 24 month contract.



    Or possibly two contracts.



    True - it's the carriers that are doing this. But desirability is relative. 

     

    If carriers like doing this so they can get two contracts, then which of them is offering BOGO deals on an iPhone. Any one. Ever ? [deals on previous models don't count -- the BOGO deal on Galaxy S5 was available on launch day ! ]

  • Reply 83 of 101
    plovell wrote: »
    True - it's the carriers that are doing this. But desirability is relative. 

    If carriers like doing this so they can get two contracts, then which of them is offering BOGO deals on an iPhone. Any one. Ever ? [deals on previous models don't count -- the BOGO deal on Galaxy S5 was available on launch day ! ]

    I think Apple has rules against BOGO deals.

    If the carriers want to offer the iPhone (and they do!) they must play by Apple's rules.

    A carrier will still be able to get two contracts from the iPhone though. The customers will simply have to pay the on-contract price: $200x2

    How many times have you seen a husband a wife both with iPhones? It happens quite often. So obviously the iPhone isn't being hurt by not being offered on a BOGO discount. If they want iPhones bad enough... they're just gonna have to pay for them.

    For customers who are not interested in an iPhone... or who are more price-sensitive... the carriers offer BOGO deals on certain Android phones.

    There are some customers who would be happier getting two Galaxy S6 for $200 versus one iPhone 6 for $200. Either way... the carrier is still making a hefty profit from the monthly fees (which is the business they are in anyway)
  • Reply 84 of 101
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
  • Reply 85 of 101
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Again that's you. We aren't typical users. Then again, I use many of those apps. They work for me.



    Pretend a mom accidentally deletes her camera app. Later, When she tries to take a pic of her child's first step, no camera. Who does she blame? Apple.

    The mom could also in theory "accidentally" delete Safari on her Mac from the command line. That hasn't made Apple afraid to include a unix terminal in OS X with all the powers of sudo.

  • Reply 86 of 101
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,921member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    The mom could also in theory "accidentally" delete Safari on her Mac from the command line. That hasn't made Apple afraid to include a unix terminal in OS X with all the powers of sudo.

    Yea cause the average person can use command line and navigate towards the applications directory and accidentally type the delete command. Or more plausibly is she's trying to move the camera app on her iPhone and accidentally clicks the x and clicks-through the warning box. Or somehow accidentally enables the "shaky icons" and in the process of putting her phone away deletes some important apps.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Yea cause the average person can use command line and navigate towards the applications directory and accidentally type the delete command. Or more plausibly is she's trying to move the camera app on her iPhone and accidentally clicks the x and clicks-through the warning box. Or somehow accidentally enables the "shaky icons" and in the process of putting her phone away deletes some important apps.

     

    Why would system apps need to use the same deletion mechanism as normal apps?

  • Reply 88 of 101
    jungmark wrote: »
    I thought they were gonna limit pre-installed apps? Is this the result?! Oh my.

    This IS the limited list of pre-installed apps...imagine how many MORE there were going to be...
  • Reply 89 of 101
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post





    The app opens on the last open tab, so if you don't primarily use the phone,as you claim to do, it will open on the contacts page. Regardless, the most logical and probably easiest way to use contacts is to launch whatever app (messages, email, whatever) and type the name in.



    My original point was that contacts can hardly be called absolutely essential (as was claimed by the person I originally quoted). This point is, I think, proven by the fact that the original iPhone didn't have it, it's functionality is completely present within the phone app, and finally to this day the iPhone still defaults to the phone app when it needs to pull up contact information (through spotlight for example).

     

    I guess each person has a preference. 

     

    I myself use the Phone app to get to contacts. I have seen the Contacts icon on my phone and done a double take on a few occasions. 

    For some reason, it is the last Apple app to register. I can recognise all the others immediately but not this one.

     

    Overall though, I stick to the default apps for most part, unless I really cannot use them, like Maps. I have not installed another browser, another calendar app or another notes app on my iPhone.

  • Reply 90 of 101
    kevliu1980 wrote: »
    Having a home page to "hide" a folder is still terribad.

    The S6 comes with 56 apps total or 56 3rd party apps? The iphone 6 has 40-42 preinstalled apps.

    I counted 31 to be exact.

    Now not for nothing most are important functions to the phone. 4 are useless, 2 should become 1 again, and 3 should be downloadable.

    Useless
    FaceTime - I don't need a separate app just to FT with someone. I can do that through the phone function.

    Contacts - Same thing, accessible through Phone app.

    Tips - Here's a tip, it's useless as an app. Put in settings.

    Apple Watch - Again put it in settings

    2:1
    Music/Video - Having these two as separate entities is ridiculous. The iPod app housed everything under one roof. It makes no sense to separate them.

    Downloadable
    iBooks, Newsstand, and Podcast should be downloadable. Let me choose to have it on my device if I want it.

    Back to my point, the rest are integral for any device to function, no matter what the platform. But 56 apps of crap that can not be deleted is absurd.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rfrmac View Post



    Samsung seems to have learned nothing from the PC world. You should have taken the money you will be spending on this software and lowered the price. It is one thing to put on good software that you have developed, it is another to put on 3rd-party software. Poor idea from where I sit.

     

    The opposite also applies to a large extent.  At least WhatsApp and Instagram are actually proven apps in their own rights.  What annoyed me was the 1st party stuff Apple or Samsung put on their phones and didn't let me remove.  In Samsungs case I hate and find annoying pretty much any of the apps that start with 'S'  They take up space, I don't use them, and I can't delete them.  I hated the browser on my iPhone and was annoyed that not only could I not delete it, but even if I selected and used an alternate browser, any link I clicked would open in Apple's crappy (at the time) browser.

     

    Between getting bloat happy and the Apple 'advertised space' suit maybe it would actually be a good thing if it were mandated that if the space is 'advertised' whatever is on it has to be controllable by the user.

  • Reply 92 of 101

    oh man :( too many apps! don't believe it

  • Reply 93 of 101
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Though I cant stand Touchwiz, Samsumg does make it extremely easy to install Cynogonmod, which I am a fan of. Vanilla Android paired with Samsung's latest offering, the S6, would make for a pretty impressive handset. What really turns me off about the S6 though is the price, especially when you can have the equally impressive Xiaomi M5 or my personal favorite Android handset, the Huawei Ascend Mate 7. That being said, I do like the look of the Samsung Edge S6.
  • Reply 94 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,423member

    If the carriers want to offer the iPhone (and they do!) they must play by Apple's rules.

    With Apple's carrier contracts being scrutinized for anti-competitive practices in both Europe and North America some of those terms may be changing relatively soon.
  • Reply 95 of 101
    This is the only way they can stay afloat. They've bailed out of the high-end market, so the only way their books can be even remotely black is to mass-ship crap devices whose profits are derived from software makers greasing their palms to pack them with bloatware.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    ebrainer1 wrote: »
    This is the only way they can stay afloat. They've bailed out of the high-end market, so the only way their books can be even remotely black is to mass-ship crap devices whose profits are derived from software makers greasing their palms to pack them with bloatware.

    What would you constitute as being high end, I would think that the S6 Edge or even the Note 4 be considered high end, same price as the iPhone. I mean the next step after that would be a Vertu or Porsche Design phone. Also most of the bloatware in a Samsung phone are their own apps, developed in house, not third party, yes there are some, like Google apps, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc. but they take up less than 10% of the entire installed base.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    Critics of so-called "bloatware" will have new fodder thanks to Samsung's forthcoming flagship Galaxy S6 smartphone, which will come preinstalled with a total of 56 applications, including third-party services like Microsoft OneDrive and Whatsapp.
    The plethora of built-in apps shipping on the device was highlighted by Gizmodo on Thursday. Samsung's custom "TouchWiz" interface goes above and beyond Google's own native Android apps, adding proprietary offerings like S Voice and S Health. But third-party apps are also part of the mix, with Whatsapp and Instagram joining the likes of Microsoft OneDrive. There are even six carrier-specific apps installed for T-Mobile customers, and similar variants are likely applicable with other carrier partners. TouchWiz has been updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop, which does give users the ability to disable -- but not uninstall -- the apps. "This removes them from the app drawer and the homescreen, but not from the phone entirely," author Eric Limer noted. "You're basically opting instead to put them in a sort of stasis, out of sight but not out of storage."
    Apple does not preinstall any third-party software on its iPhones, and in an effort to rid its reliance on Google even removed the native YouTube application from iOS. But Apple is not immune to complaints of "bloatware," as its own native applications cannot be uninstalled from the iPhone either, leaving users to instead hide them away in folders. The latest round of criticism came with the launch of iOS 8.2, which debuted the Apple Watch app -- yet another native piece of software that cannot be removed. The Samsung Galaxy S6 and its counterpart, the Galaxy S6 Edge, were revealed earlier this month with a premium metal and glass design that critics have said closely resembles Apple's own flagship iPhone 6 series. The company also drew additional copycat critiques for introducing Samsung Pay, its response to Apple Pay.
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Hello. I am new to this forum. I would like to know if a galaxy s6 purchased in Melbourne Australia in September, October or November of 2015 would have badoo as one of it's pre-installed apps. I know someone who bought one in Melbourne, Australia one of those months  of that year and I noticed that her phone had the badoo app. I ask this because this article says that the s6 has 56 pre installed apps so I wanted to know if badoo is one of them. If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it.

      Thanks



  • Reply 99 of 101
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Hello. I am new to this forum. I would like to know if a galaxy s6 purchased in Melbourne Australia in September, October or November of 2015 would have badoo as one of it's pre-installed apps. I know someone who bought one in Melbourne, Australia one of those months  of that year and I noticed that her phone had the badoo app. I ask this because this article says that the s6 has 56 pre installed apps so I wanted to know if badoo is one of them. If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it.

      Thanks



    This forum is unlikely to help you with that.  I would try posting the query here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2443908

  • Reply 100 of 101
    calinandrei1calinandrei1 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    it does nt take 100 mb of room....I takes about 1.5 gigabites of ram and about 2 of storage.......
    edited March 2017
Sign In or Register to comment.