Apple's new spaceship campus might be named after Steve Jobs, Tim Cook says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52

I think Samsung have just finished their version, in Taiwan…http://bit.ly/1IAG8sa

• Reply 42 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I dunno, all that glass leaves nothing to the imagination and all that white would be difficult to keep clean.

Think different... think Apple Robotics®

• Reply 43 of 52
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    So what becomes of the old campus? Is it abandoned? Torn down? Still used? Sold? Sublet?

Curious to know.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    maecvs wrote: »
    So what becomes of the old campus? Is it abandoned? Torn down? Still used? Sold? Sublet?

Curious to know.

Perhaps it'll become a Jobs Centre for Cooks.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    About ten years ago, I worked in a glass office building nestled in a "natural" setting (grassy plain, man-made 20' cascading waterfall, grove of trees, etc.).  The glass had a highly reflective coating, for insulating purposes.

One fine morning, a passing buck (deer) noticed his reflection and charged it, until he broke through and bled out in one of our offices.  (The building custodian merely loaded him into his pickup and took him home.)

All that to say... yes.  Yes, they could.

what kind of zombies are we talking here? LOL

The running ones with a lot of energy and vigor ...or the slow and disheveled type.

Either way I think a healthy deer trying to ram its image in a window thinking it was in combat with an opposing deer, may provide quite a bit more force and target area accuracy than a brainless zombie.

Deers and wild animals have tremendous power, dexterity, and stamina.

I am also going to still stick with the thought that these glass walls are much stronger than your average office building window.

Keep in mind these campus windows have to be much more structurally sound as they are large curved windows imbedded within the structure of the building. They must not only support some weather conditions but also be thick and strong enough to support its on weight to a certain degree.

Time to google the glass being used. I may be "talking out of my ass"....

.....How come when people say that, they don't realize that it actually confirms that they are in fact "talking out of their ass"??

Lol
  • Reply 46 of 52
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Should name the place 'Apple Central'.
    But with a big sign calling the place 'The House That Steve Built'.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    This building created jobs.

Jobs created this building.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    maecvs wrote: »

Curious to know.

It's gonna be still used. Apple is growing so it'll need that space. This new site is consolidating all the other property it is renting currently.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I think that entire new campus should be named after Jobs, not anything less.   IMO, anything less would seem insulting.  It shouldn't be named after Jobs because he wanted the new building or was involved in its design.   It should be named after Jobs because there would probably be no Apple today if Jobs hadn't returned to the company and guided it to its current success and because Jobs was probably the finest CEO of any American company of all time.     

I think it's important for employees to understand the roots of their companies.    While I'll probably get a lot of flack for this and while Jobs himself didn't like looking back and didn't want to have anything like an Apple museum, I even think that some aspect of the new or old facility (maybe an internal street name) should be named for Woz.

Tim Cook is a great CEO.   He gives credit to his teams, shares the stage and embraces Steve's legacy.    And he seems like an incredibly decent human being, recently announcing that he plans to give away most of his money.      It takes a very secure man to do all that.    

• Reply 50 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    zoetmb wrote: »
    I think that entire new campus should be named after Jobs, not anything less.   IMO, anything less would seem insulting.  It shouldn't be named after Jobs because he wanted the new building or was involved in its design.   It should be named after Jobs because there would probably be no Apple today if Jobs hadn't returned to the company and guided it to its current success and because Jobs was probably the finest CEO of any American company of all time.     

I think it's important for employees to understand the roots of their companies.    While I'll probably get a lot of flack for this and while Jobs himself didn't like looking back and didn't want to have anything like an Apple museum, I even think that some aspect of the new or old facility (maybe an internal street name) should be named for Woz.

Tim Cook is a great CEO.   He gives credit to his teams, shares the stage and embraces Steve's legacy.    And he seems like an incredibly decent human being, recently announcing that he plans to give away most of his money.      It takes a very secure man to do all that.

Steve did the same sort of thing too in naming a computer after his daughter.

http://allaboutstevejobs.com/bio/longbio/longbio_03.php
    http://www.academia.edu/1464156/2.Steve_Jobs_CEO_of_Apple_company

Steve Jobs probably wouldn't have named a building after himself but he would happily remember people he felt were important. The Think Different campaign does this and the wording was included in Macs. Steve had meetings about the campus a couple of times:

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

Some of those officials really come across as quite incompetent. It's surprising how empty the place was the first time too but they probably didn't advertise it to people. It seemed like Steve expected it would be finished sooner. They wanted to move into the building in 2015. It's hard to tell sometimes from construction photos how long until completion but it looks like it still has quite a long way to go.

There was some emphasis on the idea of having it sustainable and with a lot of trees/plants. There are another few aspects to consider with the design such as the idea of having people mingling and walking:

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/12/12/steve-jobs-was-right-about-walking/
    https://designschool.canva.com/blog/taking-long-walks/
    http://www.cultofmac.com/290033/pixar-boss-explains-steve-jobs-great-architect/
    http://fortune.com/2014/08/05/what-architects-dont-get-about-steve-jobs-spaceship/

It shouldn't need a number ahead of the name like with Infinite Loop. With so many trees, it could be referred to as a park, forest, garden or woods, maybe orchard ( http://www.cultofmac.com/125656/this-lsd-love-guru-turned-gold-mining-billionaire-gave-steve-jobs-his-reality-distortion-field/ - "Robert Friedland, a charismatic, free love wacko who dealt LSD and had his own free love commune (All One Farm) on the same apple orchard that inspired Steve for the name of his company. It was also where Steve allegedly got his “reality distortion field” from". Garden sounds nicer though and pretty much the same.).

Place is another option but Steve Jobs Place sounds too singular in ownership. Steve Jobs Building is a bit generic. It's not a tower. Amphitheater is too old-fashioned. They can use path, walk, crosswalk as well as way. I'd say the reason to avoid way is that Steve Jobs Way enforces the idea of doing what Steve would do but Steve Jobs Walkway would be more along the lines of intersecting people, making thoughtful consideration. It doesn't sound as cool as Infinite Loop though and loop matches the circular shape. Having Steve's name will limit how creative it can be and they should avoid things like Steve Jobs Ring. Circle doesn't sound that good either. Halo doesn't send the right message. Hoop is too informal as is donut. Belt doesn't sound right. If they use Steve's name for the building, it doesn't look like it will be able to match up with the building style.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Steve Jobs Place?
  • Reply 52 of 52
    I'm not sure the name Steve Jobs really fits a building or area.

I'm inclined to call the new campus Apple Campus 2, or 2 Infinite Loop. It can be dedicated to the memory of Steve Jobs and have a statue of him at the entrance.

Edit: 2 Infinite Loop is taken. So Three Infinite Loop.