Apple Watch shops set to open on April 10 in London, Paris and Tokyo

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronstark View Post

This getting more rediculous as the product launch unfolds.

The iPhone itself doesn't require this type of " personal" marketing. Either you need it or you don't. And if you don't like it can you trade it in for the next ten or so iphones to come?

30 minutes? Imagine buying a car on a time limit in the show room? You all....ALLLLLLLL....would walk away from that.

Phooey. How high the hype?

People are getting too focused on these 'time limits'.  These will be guidelines.

If you think an Apple employee will be ripping the watch off your wrist over some artificial time limit you are nuts.  

Will they try to speed it along?  Sure.  Will they ask you 'any more questions' to wrap up the appointment?  Sure.  But they aren't going to set a timer when you walk up and wait for the beep.  

• Reply 42 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shen View Post

Are you serious? I love reading his stuff! It is comedy gold!

You are a genius. I must refocus my outlook. Thanks!

• Reply 43 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Maybe over time but it seems like Apple wants to control the buying experience for now.

Exactly, which is why I find it surprising that there won't be geniuses in the department store stores, which suggests store employees. Though, as long as they are trained by Apple, which I'm sure is the case, there's no need for a genius which might invite questions about other Apple products which is of course not what these counters are about.

And again, it limits the number of people in the initial rollout, which makes it easier for them to manage all the unknowns as it goes into real world use.

• Reply 44 of 56
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by slickdealer View Post

People are getting too focused on these 'time limits'.  These will be guidelines.

If you think an Apple employee will be ripping the watch off your wrist over some artificial time limit you are nuts.  

Will they try to speed it along?  Sure.  Will they ask you 'any more questions' to wrap up the appointment?  Sure.  But they aren't going to set a timer when you walk up and wait for the beep.  

This is a perfect example of why I treat the trolls like comedy. Somewhere in his world an employee for a company known for a great customer service is going to look at a customer who is potentially spending $17k on a watch as a beeper goes off and say "that was your 30 minutes a$$hole! Get out!" and tear the watch from her wrist and stomp away.

Try and imagine the world the way it would have to be for the comments trolls like Ron and Ben make to actually happen. Try and imagine a world where where this stuff is real. You can't. It boggles the mind. Yet they keep posting.....

It is like watching a python skit where people just get used to tourists saying "I want you to fondle my buttocks" but think they are asking for directions. I wish someone would create a show and act out this world.

• Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:

Agreed. The appointment line will just back up, and create opportunities to sell other products, or provide amazing media coverage for the huge demand for the watch. I'm sure Apple has already prepared for this though, not everyone will need 15 minutes. And I'm sure there will be extra staff hired to cover if need be.

But your wording reminds me of a question I had ... how easy will it be to grab the watch off your wrist with some of the magnetic bands like the Milanese & Leather Loop?

• Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Agreed. The appointment line will just back up, and create opportunities to sell other products, or provide amazing media coverage for the huge demand for the watch. I'm sure Apple has already prepared for this though, not everyone will need 15 minutes. And I'm sure there will be extra staff hired to cover if need be.

Yeah if you book 30 minutes and they spend 50 with you and have to pull another employee for the next potential $17k sale I am sure they will be very upset!

Imagine the publicity! "Sorry we have had to change some appointment times, it seems the watch the media has been saying is so over priced nobody would buy one is booking far more appointments to buy one than we anticipated. But if you don't have your appointment by the end of the week I am sure we will still have some in stock. Maybe. I mean they have been flying off the shelves, but surely they made enough, right? Sorry, I have to take this call, a customer just ordered 5 sight unseen..."

• Reply 47 of 56
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Not only that, but an uninterrupted, one-on-one appointment that lasts 30 minutes is actually a pretty long time if you think about it.

• Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Not only that, but an uninterrupted, one-on-one appointment that lasts 30 minutes is actually a pretty long time if you think about it.

If you can't demo a watch from a company that is proud of not having to include instructions with their gear in 30 minutes, you might be doing it wrong.

• Reply 49 of 56
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    ronstark wrote: »

The iPhone itself doesn't require this type of " personal" marketing. Either you need it or you don't. And if you don't like it can you trade it in for the next ten or so iphones to come?

30 minutes? Imagine buying a car on a time limit in the show room? You all....ALLLLLLLL....would walk away from that.

Another troll to add to my blocklist...
  • Reply 50 of 56

Well, of course an Apple employee isn't going to grab the watch out of your hand

and inform you "time's up!" (Assuming, of course, they were reminded of the time by their

Apple watch)

The point I was, and still am, making is that all of this extreme marketing effort and high-brow style on the part of the Apple Watch is a bit thick for the release of a dog-gone watch let along any other VERY expensive accessory. 

We see product launches every day and even the iPhone's original product launch wasn't filled with so much flim-flam and clap-trap. Apple didn't need to convince anyone the iPhone was necessary. All you had to do is see Steve Jobs pinch, scroll and zoom and you KNEW it was something you wanted and needed. There were no apps in the beginning, nor cut and paste for that matter. 

Here's the bottom line; if a company has to work SO hard at convincing its buying public they need a doodle-do, or whatever they are selling, chances are the buying public doesn't need it!

• Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:

Quote:

And therein lies the rub. No-one wants to be harried along when buying jewellery, whether they're spending $400 or $17,000. You don't even want to be aware of a time limit, even if there is an internal one. Now that this is common knowledge, it becomes a millstone around Apple's neck.

• Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

Well, of course an Apple employee isn't going to grab the watch out of your hand

and inform you "time's up!" (Assuming, of course, they were reminded of the time by their

Apple watch)

The point I was, and still am, making is that all of this extreme marketing effort and high-brow style on the part of the Apple Watch is a bit thick for the release of a dog-gone watch let along any other VERY expensive accessory. 

We see product launches every day and even the iPhone's original product launch wasn't filled with so much flim-flam and clap-trap. Apple didn't need to convince anyone the iPhone was necessary. All you had to do is see Steve Jobs pinch, scroll and zoom and you KNEW it was something you wanted and needed. There were no apps in the beginning, nor cut and paste for that matter. 

Here's the bottom line; if a company has to work SO hard at convincing its buying public they need a doodle-do, or whatever they are selling, chances are the buying public doesn't need it!

Exactly.

With the iPhone, it was one Steve Jobs keynote and BOOM.

With the Apple Watch, we have two keynotes, neither of them inspiring, and all manner of pre-launch advertising that the iPhone never had. It’s all so Samsung. If Apple really had confidence, they would sit quiet and the punters would come.

• Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:

if a company has to work SO hard at convincing its buying public they need a doodle-do, or whatever they are selling, chances are the buying public doesn't need it!

Do you mean in general? I don't see Apple working any harder than it normally does for any newly released product. They are marketing in fashion arena which is a new area and subsequently is getting more attention.

But either way, if you're including the demonstration appointments in that statement, well Apple is doing nothing more than any watch dealer would currently do. The difference is, Apple has never had a product that needed to be sold this way, nor has any watch dealer ever had a "must-have" product that was intended to move so many mass produced units at one time. 

• Reply 54 of 56
    Let's be clear. Apple has NOT entered the watch business. No one, Tim Cook said, needs a watch if they have a smart phone.

The Apple Watch is this generations' " the Kings new clothes" gimmick!
  • Reply 55 of 56
    No, we are specifically addressing the Apple Watch!