AppleInsider podcast discusses Twitter's live streaming app, Periscope, iCloud storage issues, and m

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available to download and subscribe in iTunes or SoundCloud, with detailed analysis of this week's news. Twitter launches Periscope for iPhone, a live streaming app to compete with Meerkat. The issues with iCloud storage, Fantastical 2 for OS X hands-on, Square Cash, Apple Pay, and who still wants a 4" iPhone.

This week, AppleInsider staff members Mikey Campbell, Victor Marks, Stephen Robles and contributor Shane Cole discuss the top stories:

Periscope app for iPhone
iCloud storage woes
Fantastical 2
Square Cash and Apple Pay
Who wants a 4" iPhone

The show is available on Apple's iTunes. You can listen to the podcast and subscribe via this link:

You can also listen to it embedded via SoundCloud below:

Show note links:

Twitter launches rebranded Periscope app for live video broadcasting

Apple buys flexible, fast database software firm FoundationDB

Amazon debuts new unlimited Cloud Drive plans, Beatport comes to iOS

For Apple's revamped photo experience to work, iCloud changes are needed

First look: Fantastical 2 for Mac brings advanced calendaring to OS X Yosemite

Square opens up Square Cash payments to businesses in bid to compete with PayPal, Apple Pay

Rumor: Apple to launch three iPhone models in 2015 including new 4" handset

Hosts: @mikeycampbell81,@vmarks and @stephenrobles

We'd appreciate your feedback and comments, as well as any questions that we can answer on future episodes. Send your responses to the AppleInsider Podcast at [email protected] or follow or tweet at us @appleinsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Would like to see iCloud family issues resolved.

For ex.
    If I have one computer to sync all family photos from 3 devices (2 parents 1 kid) the current system can't handle this. A computer is tied to 1 iCloud account.

My wife and I share our contacts - currently iCloud sync who it defines as "you" when it syncs contacts. So in order to share contacts (on a second iCloud account ) my wife's phone must think she is me or vid-versa.

I have a family (6 people actually) and only one member has a credit card. If I want to add storage to a family member with my CC on file, I can't use family sharing. I have to add a card to their account. I don't want to do this with kids.

Why should a family be forced to use multiple storage pools. I want to pay for my full families data with the option of separating out. (Eventually kids will pay for their own)

Why are sections of iCloud accounts tied to a device. We have a shared media computer we all sync photos too - the photos app only ties to the logged in iCloud account. I don't have or need 6 logins for my computer. I want all of our photos synced in one place.

If my wife wants to share all her photos with me why can't she? If I want her to have access to my keychain why can't I? We don't really have a need for 2 separate iCloud drives. We both want access to the same files. (One of the reasons I use Dropbox - I can use one account on all my devices, or share folders)

iCloud is great if your an individual who wants to keep your data to yourself. It's pretty rough if your trying to share data with people you trust.

This whole thing gets much worse when you start considering business application.

I think apple can get it right they just need to look at the model different than they have been. It's not about services for individuals - it's that plus sharing data and colaboration.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jozsoojozsoo Posts: 39member
    I love this podcast. These guys know what they are doing. It's chock full of good info, and the dynamic among the hosts is awesome. Stephen and co. are the best!
  • Reply 3 of 7

Thanks for another great podcast.

Here are my thoughts on two subjects.

iCloud. Imagine there was no cloud. Everything local. You have your Mac and you back it up with Time Machine to a local external hard drive. You might have copies elsewhere, too. Your backup extends years back. This is what Apple need to implement in iCloud if they are to truly transcend the current paradigm. This would also solve the iCloud Photo dilemma. I liked Stephen's suggestion of $35 iTunes Match for photos, but the reason it isn't that simple is because of video. You need a ton of storage for video, which Apple might consider too valuable at that price. But whatever the price, Apple should offer Time Machine for iCloud; that way, there is no worry for the consumer if he deletes a photo on his iPhone, as it is backed up for years. Apple could then offer true synchronisation for photo and video, or everything if they so desired. It would require a ton of data storage on their part, but it sounds as though they have a lot.

4" iPhone. I think you hit the nail on the head with the 5c, Stephen - margins. I don't think that would be an issue now, though. I certainly hope they bring out a 4" model with the latest tech and at least 64GB of storage. Perhaps a bit thicker to give more battery life. Wouldn't mind a 3.5" either. I note that your team were 1 5.5", 2 4.7", 1 4" and 1 3.5". So if you extrapolate that to the world, it justifies a smaller model for sure. Maybe a small sample size.

• Reply 4 of 7
    I'm not sure why everyone is raving about Fantastical 2. Sunrise is free and I consider it way better. In particular, I like how in Sunrise you can change the time zone so that if someone says they want a meeting a 5pm in Tokyo, you can select that and see what time it will be in your time zone. The interface also shows people's photos from Facebook and the icon for a meeting changes automatically depending on the type of meeting. The only thing I think Fantastical 2 has going for it is the natural language input.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    a better solution for Photo sync is called backup. Use your Time Machine. while Mac users can use Time Machine, iPhone users don't have that. Apple needs to provide a Time Machine for iCloud, especially for Photo and Videos
  • Reply 6 of 7
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

a better solution for Photo sync is called backup. Use your Time Machine. while Mac users can use Time Machine, iPhone users don't have that. Apple needs to provide a Time Machine for iCloud, especially for Photo and Videos

iCloud Backup is basically Time Machine for iOS, but price for storage is the issue. Also, people need a way to view their photos even after they've been removed from their iPhone. In iCloud Backup, Time Machine and the coming iCloud Photo Library, a deleted photo will eventually disappear everywhere. 

• Reply 7 of 7
    mubaili wrote: »

iCloud Backup is basically Time Machine for iOS, but price for storage is the issue. Also, people need a way to view their photos even after they've been removed from their iPhone. In iCloud Backup, Time Machine and the coming iCloud Photo Library, a deleted photo will eventually disappear everywhere. 

That's why Apple should make a virtual Time Machine in the cloud for Photos. That way, you have multiple backups, so if you delete a photo anywhere, it's deleted from everywhere but you still retain backups should you have made a mistake or need it.