JP Morgan predicts Apple will stick with LCD, not OLED, for 'iPhone 7'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Moreck View Post

O

One exception doesn't suddenly disprove the overall trend.

Do you want me to get my son to take a photo of his old 2009 Samsung Jet and I'll post that as well?  That might even be Samsung's first model with an OLED screen.  AFAIK it still displays blues fine.

• Reply 62 of 84
    "nearly 100 million 5-inch LTPS LCD panels each year, according to a recent note to investors from J.P. Morgan analyst Narci Chang,"

5" for 2017 iPhone 7?
  • Reply 63 of 84
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Yes, black levels on TV's suck bad on a LCD. BTW, I'Ve got a plasma at home for that reason. Black level are much better for the price than anything you can get on a LCD. On a phone though, its a lot less of an issue, watching a movie on a phone is such an immense compromise anyway that losing a bit on black level wouldn't phase me at all :-).

The difference in quality of top end  OLED vs LCD when you get them initially is just about nil. LCD are much more durable, that's a fact and yields for OLED are not so great, which probably the main reason for Apple not going there. As long as you don't run you LCD at 100% brightness from the start and its a bright panel, it can run 10 years straight, on just about all the time. You certainly can't say the same for OLED yet.

I guess you do not experience it as much, But nearly everytime I use anything else an LCD based product (MacBook Pro, iPad, phone) I constantly check the brightness to turn it down only to realize it is is already on lowest...

I can also easily notice the that the blacks on a quality plasma (Pioneer Elite) are not really black either. So to me, all Lcds might as well be equivalent to a 100 watt lightbulb.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Why is the default so low? Is there some issue with pixel damage with keeping it that bright all the time? What about burn in?

• Reply 65 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

[no actual response]

You say that and yet I’ve had LCD burn in on my Cinema Display (which I find unacceptable).

• Reply 66 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You say that and yet I’ve had LCD burn in on my Cinema Display (which I find unacceptable).

So how does you having burn in on an LCD Cinema Display (commiserations, by the way) imply that we should be wary of the same problem on a Samsung OLED display which is new tech that has just been released and for which there is no longevity data for - and it's on a phone?

Why not worry about burn in on iPhones which also actually have LCDs?

Sol spouted some FUD about OLED screens having issues with blues fading after only two years - I posted a photo of my 5 year old OLED phone screen still displaying perfectly vibrant and vivid blues, but is that good enough? Oh, no. Someone else comes back with 'but, but it's only one sample.'  I would ask my son to take a photo his 6 year old OLED screen phone displaying the same image if I thought there was any point but the only reaction would be 'but, but, that's only two samples.'

Even when Anandtech - AI's own gold-standard for tech reviews - assess devices with OLED screens and give them top marks it isn't good enough.  You still get FUD crap postings on here about how  'the colours still ain't natural' even though Anandtech and other's measurements clearly show they are, if you just choose the flat colour profile in the system settings.  If someone posted on here that iPhones had a serious 'defect' that could be corrected with a click in the system settings - they would be laughed at, long and loud - and rightly so.

The continuous unabated hostility towards OLED on this forum is unreal.   There is no current objective data or information to base any of this on, it's all just being made up at this point.

I think there should be a law of information theory which states something like 'the persistance of outdated negative information is a power of the availability of current positive information'.

It's like the big-screened phones are crap theme that played on this forum for years, until; hey-presto!; Apple joined in and all of a sudden, big screens are the best thing since sliced bread.

The same thing would happen if Apple did start using OLED screens on iPhones.  All the mindless negativity would just evaporate in a flash and it would be all 'wow, look at those colours! Look at those blacks - those Android phones with poxy LCDs are such pieces of yesterday crap.'

I'm really looking forward to the BS that will be flying around here when Anandtech do a full review of the S6, especially concerning the benchmarks; 'but the multicore benchmark is meaningless in real world usage'  Then there will be some long-winded article by Daniel Boon expostulating about how Samsung's Exynos is still crap with some convoluted line of BS reasoning as to why a 64bit chip isn't really a 64bit chip, it's really just 42,  after he's spent six months hanging 24/7 on some Android user forum to catch two anecdotal user posts claiming proof that is the case.

• Reply 67 of 84
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If iphone 6s is next 2015 than iphone 7 is 2016 story and in fast moving technological years, these analyst can guess but surely don't know the truth. Apple is no dummy or inferior technological company. Apple will do what it takes to make the product right, best that people like and enjoy using.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

@thewhitefalcon you do realize that most color accurate handset display on the market right now that completely trounces the iPhone 6 panel in color reproduction, color accuracy, brightness, dark blacks, power efficiency, and accurate whites is an OLED right? The iPhone 6 was rated 'best LCD of any mobile handset to date' which is OK but this OLED display was rated best handset display to date to ever be on the market... So yeah, there's that. amazingly accurate? Not really - Great compared to other LCD's, pretty accurate and OK when compared to a good OLED.

I've never heard of these other handsets. where are they? why dont they sell?

• Reply 69 of 84
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    staticx57 wrote: »
    Have you ever used ANY LCD at night? You can easily tell it is an LCD by the fact that is extremely bright even on it's dimmest setting and displaying mostly blacks. All of my devices now are LCDs and I am absolutely sick of the lack of blacks.

On its lowest setting, my iPhone 6 screen is most certainly NOT extremely bright. It is pleasantly dim, even in a dark room.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Per the article:Sol spouted some FUD about OLED screens having issues with blues fading after only two years

1) Now you're claiming there are no reports that blue fades faster than other colors on OLED? Good one!

2) The only FUD is you trying to use some device you claim you've used for over 5 years with an implication that the age of the device, not how much its been used, is what needs to be considered. Even more ridiculous is you think a picture of a display is an indication of anything when talking about colour fade.

3) Can you show studies where there is no fade in OLED regardless of usage?
  • Reply 71 of 84
    LTPS can be a superior backplane for an OLED display. That is exactly what Japanese display demonstrated. So it's not either/or.

Apple can thus move into OLED without the compromise of a Pentile Matrix. I believe this is the logical move for Apple.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:

1) Now you're claiming there are no reports that blue fades faster than other colors on OLED? Good one!

2) The only FUD is you trying to use some device you claim you've used for over 5 years with an implication that the age of the device, not how much its been used, is what needs to be considered. Even more ridiculous is you think a picture of a display is an indication of anything when talking about colour fade.

Blue Fade is a known issue on OLED, and is compensated for.   Older OLED's used much larger blue sub pixels to help compensate for the low emmission efficiency, but the current AMOLED's in use have the red and blue sub pixes the same size.   Below is ripped from a massive article on OLED's and LCD differences:

"OLED Aging: All display technologies age to varying degrees. The current generation of Blue OLEDs age much faster than the Red and Green OLEDs. The current 50 percent aging Brightness for Blue is specified by the manufacturers at 20,000 hours while Red and Green are both over 200,000 hours. People generally don’t hold onto their Smartphones for very long: for example, 2 years at 4 hours per day is about 3,000 hours. That would actually be enough time for the Blue aging to become visually noticeable, but there is also some built-in automatic aging compensation that adjusts the drive levels to help counteract the aging effects. In the past users have documented OLED aging with screen shots, but there have been continuing improvements, so it’s hard to say how large the visual aging effects are for the current generation of OLEDs."

The article was from 2012, so I can only assume they have continued to improve.   But so have LED's.  You can't really go wrong with either, but I think Apple will end up with OLED displays due to the them not needing backlights.  This could help with even thinner devices.

• Reply 73 of 84

It's clear that Apple is sticking with LTPS, but LTPS can act as a better substrate for OLED.  That means Apple can very well be using Japan Display's new LTPS-OLED displays.  This means that Apple's OLED solution will not use a Pentile Matrix!  They should be far superior to current OLED displays. 

Japan Displays core technology is OLED on LTPS.  So the JP Morgan report is misleading.  

• Reply 74 of 84
    It's clear that Apple is sticking with LTPS, but LTPS can act as a better substrate for OLED.  That means Apple can very well be using Japan Display's new LTPS-OLED displays.  This means that Apple's OLED solution will not use a Pentile Matrix!  They should be far superior to current OLED displays. 

Japan Displays core technology is OLED on LTPS.  So the JP Morgan report is misleading.  

Most AMOLED already uses LTPS...
    solipsismy wrote: »

Not sure why you quoted me when I didn't say that.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Quote:

Don't know why you attributed my comment to staticx57, but anyway:

1)  I did not claim there had been no reports of blue fading in OLEDs - you are putting words in my mouth, thanks for the gesture, but I can manage that for myself.  What I did was imply was that unless those 'reports' actually pertained to studies done using current OLED technology that is actually used in phones, then it probably isn't relevant.  In fact, I have actually found where this FUD 'report' you keep referring to, but have never referenced, comes from.  Here it is: http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xbcr/SID-0A424DE8-034D9D23/displaysearch/Sample_2008_OLED_Characterization_Sony_XEL-1.pdf

It comes from the dawn of the introduction of OLED use in consumer products and related to the world's first ever OLED TV - a whopping 11" monster made by Sony. A report from 2008 is simply no longer relevant to current technology.  LCD tech that was in the first iPhone isn't relevant when talking about LCD screens being used in the current iP6, anymore than a study done on a 1st gen OLED  TV is relevant to a 7th or 8th gen state of the art OLED screen being used in a phone.  Would you like me to take another photo of my phone displaying that photo next to an iPhone 5 displaying the same photo?

2)  I made a statement of fact.  It wasn't a claim.  A photo showing a 5 year old OLED screen displaying vivid blues is proof that the device in question has not suffered significant colour fade and it is hugely relevant in the face of your claim that OLED displays experience significant fading of blue output in only two years, which was a load of horse shít.

3)  Argumentum ad Ignorantiam. :no:

• Reply 76 of 84
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I did not claim there had been no reports of blue fading in OLEDs

"Sol spouted some FUD about OLED screens having issues with blues fading after only two years"

You didn't write that, or are you claiming that regardless of how you use your OLED device there is 0.0% fade until AFTER 2 years time?
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Quote:

"Sol spouted some FUD about OLED screens having issues with blues fading after only two years"

You didn't write that, or are you claiming that regardless of how you use your OLED device there is 0.0% fade until AFTER 2 years time?

I will reiterate: I do not deny there is a report claiming blues fade in OLEDs.  I do deny that the report in question is in any way relevant to current generation OLED technologies or that it is in any way valid to quote it as evidence when referring to the performance of modern OLED screens which are 7 or more generations removed to those the report was based on - that is why it's FUD.

Or putting it another way; acknowledging the existence of the report is not the same as accepting it's current validity or relevance, nor is that required.

I am not claiming the blues in the screen in my phone have not faded.  If they have, I am unaware of it.  However, I can compare my phone to devices with far younger displays displaying the same images and in doing that, see nothing which would suggest blues have faded at all.

Here is my phone displaying a photo it took, placed next to my 2013 MBPR 15" displaying the same photo (unmodified).  The phone has been in daily use since mid 2010:

• Reply 78 of 84
    Don't worry, once the Apple watch comes out OLED will be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Don't worry, once the Apple watch comes out OLED will be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Every technology has inherent strengthen and weaknesses. Only rarely does a technology come along that has zero downsides compared to the technology it's supplanting. ?Watch needs to have OLED because it's the best overall choice 1) deeper blacks which will help with a more jewelry-like appearance agains the black border, and 2) being able to use high levels black against classy svelte lines for a good part of the UI to help reduce power usage on the display (which will likely spend most of its time off but in view), but there is no evidence that Apple is using some magical new OLED that doesn't have the same technology limitations as other OLED display.

This is why I predicted OLED for any wrist-worn device long before there was any ?Watch announcement, just as I also recommended NFC as the best solution for mobile payments. Now, you can you use your limited capabilities to claim that no one here ever mentioned OELD or NFC in a positive way before Apple started using it, but you'd, of course, be wrong.

My current prediction is Apple may go to OLED on their larger displays, but will only do so when they are ready for a radical change to the UI, which in this case means trading an abundant use of white for black, for reasons previously stated. Since iPhones, iPads and Mac display are likely to be engaged for much longer periods of time on a given day, and because documents and webpages are still mostly white (either because it naturally works better or because of cultural norms) I think it's unlikely that Apple will go OLED anytime soon, but I'd first expect to see some major advancements in the half-life of OLED sub pixels.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

Blue Fade is a known issue on OLED, and is compensated for.   Older OLED's used much larger blue sub pixels to help compensate for the low emmission efficiency, but the current AMOLED's in use have the red and blue sub pixes the same size.   Below is ripped from a massive article on OLED's and LCD differences:

"OLED Aging: All display technologies age to varying degrees. The current generation of Blue OLEDs age much faster than the Red and Green OLEDs. The current 50 percent aging Brightness for Blue is specified by the manufacturers at 20,000 hours while Red and Green are both over 200,000 hours. People generally don’t hold onto their Smartphones for very long: for example, 2 years at 4 hours per day is about 3,000 hours. That would actually be enough time for the Blue aging to become visually noticeable, but there is also some built-in automatic aging compensation that adjusts the drive levels to help counteract the aging effects. In the past users have documented OLED aging with screen shots, but there have been continuing improvements, so it’s hard to say how large the visual aging effects are for the current generation of OLEDs."

The article was from 2012, so I can only assume they have continued to improve.   But so have LED's.  You can't really go wrong with either, but I think Apple will end up with OLED displays due to the them not needing backlights.  This could help with even thinner devices.

TV's in my home are routinely left on at least 6h (probably 7h) a day 1-1.5h morning 4-7h in the evening; yes, we have a large family of TV watchers... I blame the fact our TV is large and beautiful ;-). So, for me, after 7-8 years (how long I usually keep a TV before buying another one and relegating the old one to a secondary usage) I'd have reached that 50% brilliance on my TV for the blue. with those stats. Don't think there is a way for them to compensate that enough through boosting the blue.

And I'm assuming that's for average use. If you have some part of the screen that's routinely lighting up those blue pixels (blue bar, so stations have), well you'll get some significant problem.

If those TV cost the same price as LCD's (or plasmas), there wouldn't be an issue at all. But, they don't, so I'm waiting for them to improve this (or slash the price). Either one will work.