iMac steel bar support larger LCD's?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Many have chimed in hoping for a larger LCD display on the new iMac.

That would be great, but not having seen one in person, does the design easily allow for that modification?

How much extra weight is added in going from 15" to 17" to 19"? Can the arm accomodate the extra weight and still provide smooth and accurate movements?

Lastly, A 17" would be okay but would a 19" LCD look top heavy and unbalanced?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I don't think there should be a weight problem, the iMac has a very dense base and should easily support a 17 inch lcd tilted fully forwards. 19 inch might be a stretch, and I really don't think Apple will go beyond 17.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The only problem I have with the new iMac is how the CD/DVD tray can actually hit the back of the LCD...I wish they would have designed around that...it makes the tray vulnerable...
  • Reply 3 of 63
    I figure that the tray is only here to stay for as long as it takes to develop a slot-loading superdrive...

slots are cool, remember?
  • Reply 4 of 63
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>The only problem I have with the new iMac is how the CD/DVD tray can actually hit the back of the LCD...I wish they would have designed around that...it makes the tray vulnerable...</strong><hr></blockquote>

With respect, I think have Apple have accomodated this: the LCD iMacs I have played with can tilt, swivel and raise the position of the monitor.

If you are viewing something at a recommended viewing height (eg same height as your eyes) its unlikey you're going to need to to have the arm and LCD so low down. It would be only slightly higher than the keyboard and mouse. But if you are hitting the back of the LCD, move the arm up and out slightly.

Of course you could also complain that if you have the keyboard flush up with the base, the CD tray will hit your hands while typing .... again that's easily fixable

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: jobes ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 63
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>I figure that the tray is only here to stay for as long as it takes to develop a slot-loading superdrive...

slots are cool, remember?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Better off not using slot loading. This way all CDs/DVDs fit in the drive. Also, a few times when using slot loading iMacs the CD barely ejects and it's almost impossible to get the disc out.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I agree with EmAn. The whole slot-loading thing was just a gimmick - why buy a PC when you can have a Mac with slot-loading CD-ROM? But with less sarcasm.

It's much more practical to have tray-loading drives.

As for the problem of the iMac screen touching the tray - please people, we have to remember there are individuals in this world like Eugene who have to go through life with an enormous hump that makes sitting at a computer in a normal position impossible.

Either we poll Apple to change the design, or we set up a fund to have Eugene's hump surgically straightened.

I'm for the former, the surgery may affect his campanology.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    I think the iMac design may set a dangerous precedent. It is now the USER'S fault if the CD tray hits something that is in it's way. I think if the tray hits something that the user has placed in front of it, the blame should fall squarely on the computer manufacturer, not the CD tray manufacturer and certainly not the user. How can the user be expected to know what will be in the way of the CD tray?
  • Reply 8 of 63
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I've never even been in the Berkeley Campanile.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>How can the user be expected to know what will be in the way of the CD tray?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh heh, I was all set to flame you after the first sentence, but then I saw the sarcasm.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    The bar is plenty strong.

It's the leverage that the add'l weight of a larger LCD would have which should be the concern.

SDA
  • Reply 11 of 63
    That base weighs over 20 lbs, doesn't it? That should be more than enough for a 17" display....a 19" LCD would be questionable, but I doubt Apple would ever include such a large display with the iMac.

The demand is there, the design is good....it's merely a question of Apple pulling their head outta their arse and offering the product. The new iMac really should have been introduced with a 17" LCD model in addition to the 15" model. Only thing that may be preventing it is LCD prices, which I really h aven't been following lately.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    When they offer a 17" LCD iMac, there wil be one sitting on my desk, damn the cost. For now, I think I can wait as I'm still more interested in the laptop offerings.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think you're a little hard on them JYD. The demand is there, but the 15" is a damn fine machine as it is. Perhaps they could have gone with 17" on the high-end but it would have to have been 1999 min. Too high for most.

However, this design can neatly span the consumer and prosumer segments once component costs drop down (in 12-18 months time.) 15" machines at 999 1299 and 1499, and two 17" machines at 1699 and 1899.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    A 17 inch would be nice and probably will happen but not until like MWNY 2003 at earliest in my view...

As for the CD drive hitting the LCD that is unfortunate and it should not be a slot load

I reccomend something similar to the original iMac which pops out a little and then u pull it out.... therefore the risk of hittting and destroying ur tray is less likely
  • Reply 15 of 63
    <a href="http://www.macosrumors.com"; target="_blank">MacOSRumors</a> is now claiming that there are iMac prototypes with larger screens at Apple's development camp: one with a 17" LCD, and one with a 16.2" widescreen display. Unfortunately, these are probably a long ways off, since all of the initial models haven't even been introduced to market yet.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    arielariel Posts: 46member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Better off not using slot loading. This way all CDs/DVDs fit in the drive. Also, a few times when using slot loading iMacs the CD barely ejects and it's almost impossible to get the disc out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Besides, it would be pretty ugly to have the georgous white half dome of the imac with a big old slot in the front! The tray is mucho more cool on the iMac.

Ariel
  • Reply 17 of 63
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ariel:

<strong>

Besides, it would be pretty ugly to have the georgous white half dome of the imac with a big old slot in the front! The tray is mucho more cool on the iMac.

Ariel</strong><hr></blockquote>

Definately. I didn't think of that.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    [quote] I think you're a little hard on them JYD. The demand is there, but the 15" is a damn fine machine as it is. Perhaps they could have gone with 17" on the high-end but it would have to have been 1999 min. Too high for most.

<hr></blockquote>

Oh, I agree that the current iMac is a damn fine machine, but it's a computer I wouldn't buy because of the display size. That's just me, there are plenty of people who aren't used to working with large, unwieldy things....but that's another topic.

But I disagree on the price...I think if Apple can sell an iMac with a superdrive for $1800, then an iMac with Combo drive and 17" LCD should also be able to go for $1800. And yes, there is an enormous amount of demand for a large-display iMac.

I predict we see one quite soon, MWNY might be a bit soon, but probably before the end of this year.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>I think the iMac design may set a dangerous precedent. It is now the USER'S fault if the CD tray hits something that is in it's way. I think if the tray hits something that the user has placed in front of it, the blame should fall squarely on the computer manufacturer, not the CD tray manufacturer and certainly not the user. How can the user be expected to know what will be in the way of the CD tray?</strong><hr></blockquote>

come on, so if i stand in front of my tower and someone ejects a cd and it hits me and breaks that's the fault of apple too? jesus. how can they be expected to know what's in front of the cd tray? jesus, they could look... it's not like you can put the base on the floor and the screen somewhere else as is the case with traditional laptops... i'm getting tired of responding to your posts, aren't there other boards you can spam?

also, on your screen size issue, 15" lcd = 17" crt

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: janitor ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 63
    What if, instead of offering an entirely new model of the iMac, just add the option of having a larger screen. A BTO from the Apple online store would be nice. Instead of Apple trying to have about 5 different imac models in stores at once just BTO them from the Apple store online.

Maybe Apple can tweak the design of the iMac so that the display is removeable and basically upgradeable. It would be a good option for Apple in terms of adding "expandability" to the iMac while at the same time not over extending the product line.

Or maybe this does overextend the porduct line already?

I think that Apple will just keep the iMac at 15'' for as long as its (the current form factor) on the market. There is no reason to make a larger display size when the old imac had an even smaller one and sold quite well.

It is not a big concern for Apple right now anyway. LCD prices are still not low enough to offer a reasonably priced 17" imac in the consumer marketplace. Hopefuly I will get my new iMac before new ones are released!