Apple Considering Putting PC's In Their Retail Stores?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
.Don't get excited. They would be there for comparison purposes. Here's the article:

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-933428.html?legacy=cnet&tag=lthd"; target="_blank">http://news.com.com/2100-1040-933428.html?legacy=cnet&tag=lthd</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I didn't even have to read your post to surmise as much.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    horned_froghorned_frog Posts: 577member
    Phot Shop fake-offs, MWF, 10-11 AM!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mac's girlmac's girl Posts: 556member
    i hope they just know what they're doing. it might backfire on them. if apple would just freakin' advertise, then they wouldnt need to contaminate a slice of mac heaven with PoCs. all the stupid ppl i know are buying Dells because some idiot kid on a tv commercial says, "dude you're getting a dell." so why cant apple run a gazillion tv ads too? it's not like they can't afford it...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>i hope they just know what they're doing. it might backfire on them. if apple would just freakin' advertise, then they wouldnt need to contaminate a slice of mac heaven with PoCs. all the stupid ppl i know are buying Dells because some idiot kid on a tv commercial says, "dude you're getting a dell." so why cant apple run a gazillion tv ads too? it's not like they can't afford it...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, they definately need to advertise more. A lot of people I know are also buying Dell's because of Steven. They say "that Dell dude is so cool"

• Reply 5 of 17
    Last night, #7 on The Late Show's "Top Ten ways the mafia can improve it's image" was "Knock off that kid in the Dell commercials."
  • Reply 6 of 17
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    /me passes out.

**thud!!**

/me gets up and actually reads the article.

Well, that's certainly an interesting possibility, but I'd guess that the PCs would be crippled somehow, using sub-par hardware when compared to the Macs.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The Dell kid has lost the Eddie Haskell appeal. Now he's just a spokesperson.

Anyhoo, I don't think the PCs would only be used in speed comparisons. They could compare going through Windows' wizards and negotiating with boorish little Einsteins versus drag-n-drop, point-and-click ease-of-use and other oft-hyphenated lingo.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    This could be a good move, assuming they do it properly. Show that a Mac can run Office well (if not better than the PC), and make files completely usable on PC/vice versa, show networking between Macs/PCs, do some other comparisons and ease-of-use.

Heh, Apple should get it's own mascot, some sort of animated talking iMac or something.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Well, that's certainly an interesting possibility, but I'd guess that the PCs would be crippled somehow, using sub-par hardware when compared to the Macs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unless Apple knows something about its coming hardware offerings that we don't.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    [quote]Originally posted by MCQ:

<strong>Heh, Apple should get it's own mascot, some sort of animated talking iMac or something.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The day this happens, I'm swearing off of Macs. I think my need for a cartoon to tell me what computer to buy is even less than my need for some bow-legged kid to tell me what computer to buy.

btw. am i the only one who noticed that steven was supposed to be like 15 or 16 when the commercials first aired and now he's going to college?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    [quote] btw. am i the only one who noticed that steven was supposed to be like 15 or 16 when the commercials first aired and now he's going to college? <hr></blockquote>

It must be the educational value of Dell Computers.

Comparison displays are an excellent idea. Not only for features but the looks of one computer compared to another. Of course Apple wins hand-down on that.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Oh yeah. Running gaussian blur filters 100x a day
  • Reply 13 of 17
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nonsuch:

<strong>

Unless Apple knows something about its coming hardware offerings that we don't. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly what I thought.

Apple doesn't have the balls to put today's G4s and POS's into the Apple Stores and let users do the bakeoffs themselves.

They've got to have something good coming at MWNY.

Nevertheless I will expect a downgrade to dual 500MHz procs so at least I will be happy about any announcement.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>

Comparison displays are an excellent idea. Not only for features but the looks of one computer compared to another. Of course Apple wins hand-down on that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I imagine comparing iMovie with Windows Movie Maker alone is good for a hundred new users a month.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mrbilldatamrbilldata Posts: 489member
    Well if they run Microsh!t, Apple is sure to double its market share.

They should have Linux or Solaris for PC if they want an honest comparison to OS X. But I doubt that kind of comparison would get many PC users to want Apple instead.

Kenny must die... to live
  • Reply 16 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MrBillData:

<strong>Well if they run Microsh!t, Apple is sure to double its market share.

They should have Linux or Solaris for PC if they want an honest comparison to OS X. But I doubt that kind of comparison would get many PC users to want Apple instead.

Kenny must die... to live</strong><hr></blockquote>

But most people that are buying PCs will be running some form of Windows, most likely XP.

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by MrBillData:

<strong>Well if they run Microsh!t, Apple is sure to double its market share.

Kenny must die... to live</strong><hr></blockquote>

Please share whatever drugs you are having

Linux is nowhere close to OSX as a Desktop OS and Solaris isn't even on the map. Apple soon will be alble to compete with Linux as far as Tech an Solaris as far as OS. Like Eman says...Windows is the Goliath here not the Geeks OS Pinups of Linux or Solaris.